The news article thread

Not really. Best I can piece together is it's a 1999 sketch involving two cavemen.

It's the same room as the Curse interview.
Ed Beach looks a bit... uncomfortable/afraid of the interviewer :p

Not a lot of new stuff. This sprang out for me, but maybe it was all already known?

* The mention of the belief of 'holy warriors' is interesting. A renaissance unit which you buy with faith.

* One of the achievements is to get an inquisitor as the Spanish :king:

* As was known embarked units and naval units stack and there are two types of naval units, melee and ranged (I think we weren't sure if there were two types of units or if the units had two types of combat). The naval melee units can attack cities to pillage or capture.

It seems that melee naval units can also attack land units on the coast. Ed Beach mentions that they've also looked on how the military units are placed in the tech tree - maybe he was just addressing the ranged units upgrade line, but some other units might have been moved to other techs, including the new ones.

Holy warriors are new. I interpreted it that you can buy military units with faith instead of gold - but it is possible that there is a special unit for that. I think it would reflect late crusade era (from the battle of Nikopolis up to siege of Vienna in 1683), because it's a bit too late for medieval age.

Ed also mentions cathedrals and mosques you can construct. It's possible that each religion has its own temple type, but it might have been a simplification. He also says that you don't have to found a religion - it will come to you via missionaries so you get the benefits of someone else's religion. I wonder if one will be able to root out any religion with inquisitors, unless there aren't non-religious inquisitors :p

He mentions that in the late game there will be possibility of creating of three political blocks like during the Cold War. Those are most likely based on Freedom/Order/Autocracy policy trees.

Overall there's nothing new, but it's better than nothing. :)

From the Interview:

Mosques and Pagodas are also new buildings alongside Cathedrals... maybe they're all the same building but for different faiths?

Holy Warriors is a belief allowing to spend faith on military units. This might not be any specific unit, but rather allow for faith to be used in a similar way as gold for military units.

Imagine the Celts with Holy Warriors:

Build Pictish Warriors which generate Faith, which allows you to buy more Pictish Warriors, which generate more Faith, which...

Imagine the Celts with Holy Warriors:

Build Pictish Warriors which generate Faith, which allows you to buy more Pictish Warriors, which generate more Faith, which...

It's likely to be as efficient as buying units with the honor finisher.

New preview on Gamestar.de
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/civilization-5-gods-kings/artikel/civilization_5_gods_kings,47855,2566055.html

I won't bother with a translation because there isn't much new info here.

They mention composite bowmen, destroyers, and missionaries as new units.
Composite bobwen could be a new UU (the Huns were known for their composite bows), but it could also be a new unit between Archers and Crossbowmen. Here's hoping they have extended the Classical Era.
Destroyers are already in the game, but they could mean pre-combustion destroyers. Possibly the melee equivalent of Frigates.

There's a pantheon belief that gives an additional combat bonus in forests

Release in 'early summer'.

That's pretty much it as far as new information is concerned. The reviewers seem to be pleased and say it loks like Civilization 5.5, but they also voice scepticism whether the AI will be able to handle the additions (as if it could do much worse).

I think Ed Beech already confirmed a Composite Bow as a new unit (and we've seen it in one of the screenshots, not belonging to the Huns). I also think we've been told there will be a WWI Destroyer.

Release in 'early summer'.

So it's already been pushed back from "late spring" (which, technically speaking, could be a difference of 1 whole day)? Apparently they are still working on it; why else would they delay it if everything was completed and ready to go but they're just holding back to generate anticipation?

Games get worked on until the last possible second for bug fixes. Bugs might be difficult to track down and require a reevaluation of the release date.

Also, there are different definitions of spring and summer. German early summer (if it goes by months, as it does here) might be American late spring.

I would call that a chain reaction. ;)

I think it's the same concept as with the Honor finisher. You're never going to make enough kills for it to become self-sustainable. It helps though.

Yes, they will probably have thought of that.

Still nice, though.

Especially in combination :)

Kill a barbarian and get culture, gold, experience (+50%) and faith. Awesomeness.

Top Bottom