The Nostalgia Thread

and now they're being replaced by fit-bits that have a time function. Go figure.

most things I'm sort of nostalgic about is like smells and sounds, so I don't really know what to say

I would maybe feel nostalgic for places I used to be when I was young but basically all of them have been ruined in the years since so no dice there

I've found my CASIO watch ! It was just lying there in my tresure box ! I keep a box with memorabilia of my life - various items like a first love letter, a stone from Giewont, a carved little stone sword for opening letters, train tickets form memorable trips - that sort of things :) This thread actually inspired me to take this travel to the past of my life and I've found it ! I am thankful for the OP :thumbsup: Soon I'm taking it to the watchmaker (is that a correct word?) to have battery and belt replaced :)

Can we be nostalgic for things we ourselves didn't experience? I think so. I was rewatching parts of Stranger Things and Babylon Berlin, and felt a sort of 'nostalgia' for parts of the settings of those shows, even though neither is anything I experienced myself. Specifically, the mall scenes in season 3 of Stranger Things. Even though they're strongly associated with teenaged life in the 1980s, malls just weren't a thing in my town when I was a teenager. And of course the bawdy, Wiemar-era nightclubs in Babylon Berlin are of an era long before I was born (in fact, the oldest person I know wasn't even born yet).

I'm not sure I can post the video, for NSFW reasons, but if you've seen Babylon Berlin, the song from Svetlana's drag show will surely jog your memory:
Spoiler :

Stranger Things success is all based on the nostalgia we feel for childish spielbergian fantastic movies of the 80s. I have never lived in a typical American town like the one in the series but I feel nostalgic because I have seen a lot of such movies back in the 80s as a kid.

I actually never found Stranger Things to be very believable as an 80s style movie/series. I mean... other than having one kid that looks like a kid in the Goonies :)
Some movies of recent years had a more believable 80s atmosphere, due to music and cinematography. More than It Follows (clearly the better film) I found House of the Devil to be very 80s for roughly the first half of the movie.

Reminisce about times now gone, experiences you wish you could have again etc.

For me: playing Pokemon for the first time as a kid. And summers at the pool, swim practice in the morning then spending all afternoon with the boys going off the diving board

Rewatching Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure with my daughter. Pretty damn entertaining even as an adult. :D

Edit : Damn there's a 3rd movie coming out!

I'm in a nostalgia mode recently, these are my time machine:

Never really play this game, just watch my father and two sister play it most of the time. It was so colorful and look fun, but they never let me try it, over-protective :lol: (5-6 years old)

This also, just watching people playing this at that time really amaze me, again I'm too little "to try", lol now I let my son try everything he want unless it's logically not good for him. Actually the coloring look really gorgeous now. (5-6years old)

Play this one, but I got stuck when the babysitter turn herself into vampiric bat, I cannot pass that part. I play this quite late, I think when I was like 8-9 years old 1992-1993.

This one, lol, play it with my father, last game that we play together I think. No one really get hook with this game except me and him. (up from 7 years old, my father friend the one who introduce it to our family, he bring it from Ausie or something)

More to come :wink

I'm in a nostalgia mode recently, these are my time machine:

Never really play this game, just watch my father and two sister play it most of the time. It was so colorful and look fun, but they never let me try it, over-protective :lol: (5-6 years old)

This also, just watching people playing this at that time really amaze me, again I'm too little "to try", lol now I let my son try everything he want unless it's logically not good for him. Actually the coloring look really gorgeous now. (5-6years old)

Play this one, but I got stuck when the babysitter turn herself into vampiric bat, I cannot pass that part. I play this quite late, I think when I was like 8-9 years old 1992-1993.

This one, lol, play it with my father, last game that we play together I think. No one really get hook with this game except me and him. (up from 7 years old, my father friend the one who introduce it to our family, he bring it from Ausie or something)

More to come :wink

Played all of them but ally cat was in sepia tones on an IBM.

I got very good at Defender of the Crown.

Played all of them but ally cat was in sepia tones on an IBM.

I got very good at Defender of the Crown.

Perhaps you were 9 or even 10 years old at that time, I was too little, but they never let me touch it, perhaps that's part of the reason that it look so good, the thing that you admire but you can't get a hold on it makes you somehow obsessed. :lol:

Perhaps you were 9 or even 10 years old at that time, I was too little, but they never let me touch it, perhaps that's part of the reason that it look so good, the thing that you admire but you can't get a hold on it makes you somehow obsessed. :lol:

Early 90s so 12-15 or so.

Didn't have it myself but Sisters boyfriend did along with some friends.

Early 90s so 12-15 or so.

Didn't have it myself but Sisters boyfriend did along with some friends.

I thought you were born 1979-80, so you are much older than that.

Actually man there were these other game but I kind a forgot the title, both are point and click adventure, first is I think taken from Agatha Christie novel "Orient Express"? Keep playing that game when I was little but stuck.

The other is this game by Sierra, I remember the intro is about dolphin get caught in a net, and after that you start the game as a boy in a room, and man I cannot get myself out from that cursed room.

I thought you were born 1979-80, so you are much older than that.

Actually man there were these other game but I kind a forgot the title, both are point and click adventure, first is I think taken from Agatha Christie novel "Orient Express"? Keep playing that game when I was little but stuck.

The other is this game by Sierra, I remember the intro is about dolphin get caught in a net, and after that you start the game as a boy in a room, and man I cannot get myself out from that cursed room.

I was born in 78.

I played some games years after they were released in US though. NZ got most things US had in 80s, just later.

Espicially small town NZ. NES 89, SNES never although I think the cities had them.

I was playing Atari 83/84-90, Amiga 91-95, C64 89, Megadrive 93 ,(tried it late 92).

I was born in 78.

I played some games years after they were released in US though. NZ got most things US had in 80s, just later.

Espicially small town NZ. NES 89, SNES never although I think the cities had them.

No snes? man you miss a lot, but you got yourselves Sega "Genesis" though. I play Sega for a short time, before it get robbed. I mostly play platform game in Sega, Snes introduced me with Rpg.

I miss the Cold War

Made all kinds of things so much more simple in the time I was a kid
And I miss the music of the garage beat bands at school parties... me still being green as grass

The Hunters, Amsterdam, 1966: Russian Spy And I
Do note the balalaika guitar piece of co-writer Jan Akkerman at 1:25

(apologies for some of the vid slides... there is no other vid on the internet)

Last edited:
Those were the halcyon days! Never knowing if the next day would be the last day, living life to the fullest...

yessss...life the fullest

exactly !

By now ageing does take its toll...

boy o boy I wish I could still dance the whole night through

Top Bottom