1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Obama Legacy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Yes...what? If a balanced budget is your worry, you can sleep tight: Republican administrations tend to be Big Spenders.

2. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Eight years ago I was in my 40s, now, 50s. I blame Obama.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

8 years ago my girlfriend was 18 and this year my girlfriend is 18. That hasn't changed since some point in the Reagan administration, so Obama was about the same as the past several Presidents.

4. Vectors

Vectors Prince

Trump is so disturbing even Beck is warming to Obama

Lexicus likes this.
  5. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

One wonderful thing is the country has now had its first black president. That is beyond words, it shows millions of Americans that they might be pres someday too. It wasn't that way before, or it certainly didn't seem that way.

6. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

And if America has its way, he'll be the last black president, too.

7. metatron

metatron unperson

Obama fought the War on Coal.
    And won.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

and Hillary had to go and brag about it

doh

9. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Ceasefire maybe. He will be the fracking President. That's oddly comforting.

J

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

No, Obama is the president. That;s not comforting, as he will be gone soon.

11. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

As bas as Clinton was (the worst possible candidate on that side) if Obama hadn't screwed up with continuing to favor the concentration of wealth in the US, Trump wouldn't have been elected.

12. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

There is/was literally nothing Obama could do about that given the whole Congress thing.

13. onejayhawk

That he is leaving is comforting. What is coming is what is not comforting.

That's the party line. I never did believe it. What he never did was organize a coherent agenda. Bush was able to repeatedly slide things through, to the consternation of most observers here. Obama never managed that.

J

14. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

yea I agree. It is obama's fault people went "Well, the concentration of wealth in the US is unfair, so I guess we have to elect a billionaire"

15. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Obama came into office with great promise and intelligence, but was not a strong leader at time when it was needed. The Republicans ran roughshod all over him and all he tried doing was negotiating with mortal enemies who cared nothing for negotiation. Yes, he's calm and cool, and unflappable. That's a good quality to have, but not enough to be a strong leader. His legacy is that he could've achieved more if he was just more forceful about his positions and not caved, nor hesitated to use tricks as dirty as his enemies to get what he wanted.

16. onejayhawk

They did have a choice of billionaires.

J

17. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Gave more people health insurance, sure (and that is a plus), but it failed at the "affordable" in the name Affordable Care Act. The whole point of the ACA was to get the cost of health insurance under control and it has not done that at all. Still, more people did get health insurance that didn't have it before so we'll call this one a draw.

Definitely. And we did it without having to commit to a large-scale invasion of ISIS-held territory. We also did it alongside our European and Middle East allies instead of trying to go it alone like we usually do. If there is one thing I always praise Obama for, it's his ability to use the military correctly and his policy of measured responses to military threats rather than Bush's "shock and awe".

One big one for Bush, versus lots of small ones for Obama. We'll call this one a draw too. Especially since domestic terrorism seems to be on the rise. I don't think Obama is the cause of it, but I do think he could be handling it a bit better than he has been.

Yeah it has been a pretty solid recovery. I wouldn't say it would continue indefinitely though just for the simple fact that nothing lasts forever. There have been a few things I didn't really agree with him on economically, but the results haven't been bad so it's not like I can complain too much.

To quote God when Bender met him in an episode of Futurama: "You know you're doing your job right, when people think you aren't doing anything at all."

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

AFAIK Mr Trump was the only one in the running, so No.

So, basically you are saying you are happy about the election, but you are unhappy with the election.

19. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

I would assume that's how a lot of people feel. Happy that Hillary lost, but unhappy that Trump won.

20. onejayhawk

Many think Clinton is wealthier. Many also think Trump's wealth is a facade. In any event, it's close.

The word is ambivalent.

J