- The October Revolution Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars

Because my Vista won't let edit text files after I copy them to my mods folder.And I can't edit the ordinary files in the main files because "Its a read-only file".

[threadjack]

Navigate to the file, right-click, properties, and uncheck the "read-only" box.

That's assuming, of course, that Vista isn't any different than XP in that regard. If it is, can't help you there.

[/threadjack]

So, I have declared war on the Japanese and have made three separate seaborne landings on Japanese homeland soil. I will be spending quite a good amount of gold stealing Japanese plans so that I know exactly where the Japanese forces are at all times. The plans for this week cost me 1800+ gold…Of course, as in real life at the time, amphibious landings are slow and cumbersome, and thus all I can do is come ashore and await the Japanese response.

There are a lot of post that I have to do, so this will be somewhat piecemeal as I add new ones, so bear with me.

The Japanese response turns out to be lighter than expected. A Japanese BB and steam transport departs from Sendai, steaming north towards the Kuril Islands transporting four cavalry divisions. Obviously they are planning to make a landing on the Kuril Islands, but I will intercept them before they can reach it and sink them.

A Japanese in the city BB bombards my East Asiatic Fleet blockading the city of T’aipei but causes no damage. However, a BB and steam transport carrying three naval infantry divisions departs from the Ryukyu Islands and makes a dash into T’aipei port, reaching it with ease.

A single corps of Japanese infantry attempts to relieve the besieged city of Kagoshima, despite the presence of the much larger Russian 1st Army. As I had expected this, I positioned three Russian infantry divisions protecting the rear of the Russian 1st Army from such a Japanese counter-attack:

The Japanese opens the assault on the Russian infantry atop the hill by shelling the 16th East Siberian Rifles Division with two batteries of mountain artillery, causing great loss (2/4 hp). Before the men can crawl from what little cover they could find, the Japanese 22nd Infantry charged up the slopes. Though now under strength, the 16th bravely held their ground and not only blunted the Japanese attack, but swept down the hill to overrun the Japanese, effectively destroying the entire Japanese division. The Russian 36th Infantry Division faced no Japanese artillery fire, but the Japanese attack was more determined. Unable to blunt the assault, the Japanese 7th Division managed to capture parts of the high ground before being wiped out by costly counter attacks, leaving the Russian 36th Division in tatters (2/5 hp). In the center, the Japanese managed their only success in the attack, when the 12th Division overran 15th East Siberian Rifles Division’s positions atop the hill and the entire division ceased to exist as a unit. However, the cost of the Japanese attack was costly and the lack of additional troops prevented the entire Russian position from being overrun. The Japanese 12th Division abandoned the ground they captured and marched north back towards Osaka with the artillery.

Likewise, as the Russian 2nd Army came ashore, a rearguard made a seaborne landing just to the north of the main landings to protect the northern approaches. Here too, the Japanese chose to counter attack the landings, and again was met by my covering forces:

Two Russian infantry divisions faced off against a determined attacks by three Japanese cavalry divisions. However, this time, the Japanese forces were forced to attack the enemy positions without artillery support. The 20th East Siberian Rifles met the attack of the Japanese 1st Cavalry Division up the slopes and in a hail of fire, easily wiped out the entire division in its first charge. The 21st East Siberian Rifles faced the charge of two full cavalry divisions. Despite heavy losses (3/6 hp), the 21st East Siberians not only held their ground but wiped out one cavalry division entirely and the other nearly so (¼ hp). The surviving Japanese division slowly drew back and retreated north.

Meanwhile, Russian 2nd Battle Squadron at Tokyo came under attack from the HJM Asahi BB. Steaming out of the port, the Japanese dreadnought quickly engaged the Russian destroyer, Storozhevoi and sunk her within minutes, suffering only a single hit. This distraction gave the Japanese BB, Mikasa, time to escape the port and steamed furiously south towards Kagoshima.

Week 9, 1903
The Russian 3rd Army made their seaborne landings at T’aipei unopposed and General Kuropatkin quickly positioned his force for the assault on the city. The Japanese made no attempts to harass neither the landings nor the Russian preparations for the coming attack. In fact, the Japanese fleet seemed content to hide in the city’s harbor and await the attack. General Kuropatkin committed the entire Russian 3rd Army in the attack, including nine cavalry, eleven infantry and one naval divisions and nine artillery batteries, as well as the entire East Asiatic Fleet supporting the assault with naval bombardment. Facing Kuropatkin’s forces were four infantry and three naval divisions; however, beyond gun support from the Japanese fleet bottled up in the harbor, the Japanese forces lacked artillery:

The battle opened with a four-hour long artillery bombardment on Feb 6, supported by naval bombardments from the fleet. Though the Russian artillery guns proved to cause little damage to the defenders, the naval guns caused considerable damage to the trapped Japanese fleet. The HJM BB’s, Fuji, Yashima and Nisshin were sunk, and the HJM light cruiser Kasagi suffers two hits.

Contrary to Russian expectations, the encircled Japanese forces did not give up so easily. Instead, the fighting was fierce and desperate as the entire Russian 3rd Army began its assaults on the city in the afternoon of Feb 6. Initial Russian performance was barely effective in the opening attacks, and after first day, the 1st and 2nd Cavalry and 4th Infantry Corps managed to advance only two miles along a narrow front. The cost paid for the ground captured was appalling: the three corps suffered the complete destruction of five cavalry and two infantry divisions, as well as the virtual depletion of all but two divisions. However, the Japanese also suffered heavy losses, which could not be so easily given up nor replaced. The determined resistance cost the Japanese two naval and one infantry divisions.

At the same time, the right flank of the Russian line began its grinding advance upon the city. Here, the Russians faired better, as the 5th Cavalry Corps quickly overran enemy positions, destroying or taking prisoner two entire Japanese infantry divisions in a swift advance of three miles. Yet, here too, the Russian troops suffered terrible loses, and the 5th Cavalry Corps lost one entire division and the other two greatly under strength.

On Feb 8, Kuropatkin renewed his offensive, continuing the bloody and costly grinding advance of the previous two days. The Russian 6th Infantry Corps was ordered to the continue the advance and began pushing north towards the city along a wide front. Over two days of heavy fighting, the 6th Infantry Corps advanced three miles all along the front and had reached the outskirts of the city. However, the Japanese simply retreated, and the two-day advance removed the entire corps from existence in fruitless frontal assaults.

On Feb 11, the Russian forces were worn out, with only a fourth of its divisions still at operational strength. Yet, Kuropatkin continued his assaults, having advanced his line to the outskirts of the city itself and knowing there was no Japanese reserves left to the enemy. The next two days of intense fighting was recalled in General Ihorsehockyake, overall commander of Japanese forces in T’aipei, in his memoirs, “The enemy, ignoring such heavy losses, was making frontal assault after frontal assault, willing to get to the city by any means necessary - and most of it was down while trodding over the corpses of their fellow fallen soldiers.” Japanese resistance was still strong and the outcome of the battle by no means certain.

The 5th Infantry and 3rd Cavalry Corps, the only Russian formations still capable of offensive action, was ordered forward early on Feb 11, and began attacking all along the line. Amazingly, the offensive quickly built up momentum as Japanese positions were swiftly overrun. The 3rd Cavalry Corps surrounded and wiped out one Japanese infantry division while the 5th Infantry Division shattered a Japanese naval division. The swift destruction of these Japanese units ended all resistance in the city and the Russian 4th Naval Division (part of 5th Infantry Corps) was the first Russian troops to enter the city on Feb 12. The Japanese fleet, still trapped within the harbor, quickly surrendered to the Russians as they triumphantly overran the undefended city. In all, one light crusier, two protected cruisers and four steam transports surrendered without a fight.

Kuropatkin’s offensive of 6th-12th forced the capitulation of T’aipei but the cost was horrendous. The 3rd Army was reduced to but nine divisions, of which only three were of operational strength at the end of the battle. In but a single week, the 3rd Army ceased as a Russian formation. Shortly after the battle was over, Kuropatkin frantically sent word to Hong Kong for reinforcements of twelve cavalry and four infantry divisions stationed there to be sent immediately to T’aipei to rebuild his shattered army.

Congrats on the capture of T'apei! It looks like it's going to be a very rough campaign in order to get your hands on the Japanese main cities.

At least you've eliminated a good deal of their naval strength, which should help some by permitting your ships to act as floating artillery platforms instead of blasting ships.

Thanks, but if the rest of the campaign turns out like this attack, it will have to be cancelled right away...I can't afford such loses in each attack. If the enxt two attacks go the same way, my ability to continue the invasion will basically disappear. The big problem is that I can't produce veteran units right now, so i am forced to attack with mostly regulars, which have only 4 hp...

Indeed. Might be wiser to go with a SoD in this case and hope you can punch a few cities away before you make a peace treaty, build up some more troops, complete the job.

Land arty at this point of the game tends to be horrible; BB's are what you need the most right now, and fortunately, all of the Japanese cities are on the coast.

CivAgamemnon said:
Land arty at this point of the game tends to be horrible
I've found that no Land Artillery is good unless it has a Bombard rating of at least 12 *and* at least two shots. Seriously, the German CK 96 Field Guns became more than three times as useful when I could finally upgrade them to the 7.7 cm version (two shots).

Brucha said:
i am forced to attack with mostly regulars, which have only 4 hp...
Ouch. Do any of those cities have Defense-boosting Wonders? I didn't think the Japanese cities did, but if they do, it's really going to hurt. Vet. German Inf (10/10, 6HP) were getting smashed against 8 Def, 5 HP (IIRC) units in Belgium/Netherlands, so I can only imagine how bad you must be doing. This kind of attack must be impossible in a standard game at this point in time.

Still, hats off to Taipei! If you take Okinawa, make it into a vacation spot for some of your better officers. Okuma Beach and White Beach are really nice.

Thats a tough victory to gain Taipei, 3rd army lost 2/3rds of its men. But, 1 out of 3 objectives complete and you captured a Japanese fleet in port. My guess is Brucha, you may have a rough time of it, however, you still have the 4th Reserve Army, and I think you will most likely need it. I think you will win, but it will be costly. It comes down to how determined you are, not to give up. If your resolve matches your effort against Taipei, then it will not be so easy for you to give in, and you will take the next two objectives. You may have to broker a peace treaty, after Osaka is taken, to regroup, I am sure your probably thinking along those lines. I say good luck and good hunting.

How do units in civ 3 gain experience so they can move up from regular to veteran status, is it all by chance? I have not played civ 3 in so long I don't remember.

The other thing I wanted to ask is how you paste your unit and army symbols onto your screenshots. Is it copy and paste? And did you create the symbols with MSpaint?
It makes everything much more clear, and easy to follow. I would love a short tutorial if you have the time.

I have a mod called, "The Great War", that I have been working on for some time. I have made some changes and need to playtest, and I was thinking of writing a story for it, as I go along. Thats why I was wondering how you do this, it would make the story go along much easier, because for Russia I have to follow the movements of at least seven armies. Two in East Prussia, four on the Galician Front with Austro-Hungary, and one against the Ottoman Empire. This does not include, other forces massing around Moscow, Smolensk, and Kiev. It is a giant steamroller and the war on the Eatern front makes for great storytelling. Thanks Brucha

I've found that no Land Artillery is good unless it has a Bombard rating of at least 12 *and* at least two shots. Seriously, the German CK 96 Field Guns became more than three times as useful when I could finally upgrade them to the 7.7 cm version (two shots).

Indeed, my horse artillery have a bombardment of only 8, so they are not very effective. My naval forces have good bombardment stats, but I just do not have enough of them to make up for my artillery. I still have no techs that can produce better artillery yet.....thus a startegy of brute force must be used in forced mny way into the Japanese cities unfortunately.

The drawnback in having to rely on my naval forces to bombard cities is how they target what to hit. In this scenario, they first target coastal fortresses, then naval academies, then ships in harbor. Thus, you must destroy these first before your ships target ground troops. That is exacly what happened in T'aipei - I sunk several ship in harbor, but could have used the help weakening ground units more, as all enemy ships are naturally captured and destroyed if a enemy city falls. So I was forced to attack essentially undamaged defending units...

Ouch. Do any of those cities have Defense-boosting Wonders? I didn't think the Japanese cities did, but if they do, it's really going to hurt.

I do no think so, but the general city defense bonus is good enough to chew my units up rather terribly. I fear that it is going to be very bloody for me to conquer all of the Japanese Islands.[/QUOTE]

How do units in civ 3 gain experience so they can move up from regular to veteran status, is it all by chance? I have not played civ 3 in so long I don't remember.

As mentioned in the FAQ:

The probability your unit will be promoted after it wins a battle depends on 3 things: what level it is currently at, whether you are Militaristic or not (double the probability), and whether your battle was fought against barbarians (half the probability). Don't forget the luck factor involved.

Non-Militaristic Civilization vs. Other Civilizations:
Conscript to Regular: 1 in 2
Regular to Veteran: 1 in 4
Veteran to Elite: 1 in 8

Non-Militaristic Civilization vs. Barbarians:
Conscript to Regular: 1 in 4
Regular to Veteran: 1 in 8
Veteran to Elite: 1 in 16

Militaristic Civilization vs. Other Civilizations:
Conscript to Regular: 1 in 1
Regular to Veteran: 1 in 2
Veteran to Elite: 1 in 4

Militaristic Civilization vs. Barbarians:
Conscript to Regular: 1 in 2
Regular to Veteran: 1 in 4
Veteran to Elite: 1 in 8

If a victorious unit does not get promoted, it will always be promoted if it survives any other battle in the same turn. This is one reason why units with Blitz (the ability to attack multiple times in a turn, such as a Tank) are more likely to be promoted.

The other thing I wanted to ask is how you paste your unit and army symbols onto your screenshots. Is it copy and paste? And did you create the symbols with MSpaint? It makes everything much more clear, and easy to follow. I would love a short tutorial if you have the time.

I use jpg's of period army maps and copy the unit/army symbols with Paint. I take screenshots from the original .big CivIII map and then past the symbols over using a program called Paint.net. This program allows me to add shading, text, arrows and lines, etc.

I have a mod called, "The Great War", that I have been working on for some time. I have made some changes and need to playtest, and I was thinking of writing a story for it, as I go along. Thats why I was wondering how you do this, it would make the story go along much easier, because for Russia I have to follow the movements of at least seven armies. Two in East Prussia, four on the Galician Front with Austro-Hungary, and one against the Ottoman Empire. This does not include, other forces massing around Moscow, Smolensk, and Kiev. It is a giant steamroller and the war on the Eatern front makes for great storytelling. Thanks Brucha

Beyond writing the story, this is the hardest thing to do for me. From the very beginning, I began to re-name every Russian combat unit, to something like, 3rd Infantry Division for instance. I then keep track on papar all the named units. Should one be killed, he is crossed off. I recycle dead unit names when I produce new units or, if there are no old names available, create new ones. This goes the same for naval ships - they are also all named. Every so often after combat, I have to go through all my units to make sure there are no name duplications or units that were killed and I forgot to mark off. Its not hard when you have say 100 units, but I now have 300+!

I use jpg's of period army maps and copy the unit/army symbols with Paint. I take screenshots from the original .big CivIII map and then past the symbols over using a program called Paint.net. This program allows me to add shading, text, arrows and lines, etc.
Thank you, I downloaded the program and just have to learn how to use it.

Beyond writing the story, this is the hardest thing to do for me. From the very beginning, I began to re-name every Russian combat unit, to something like, 3rd Infantry Division for instance. I then keep track on papar all the named units. Should one be killed, he is crossed off. I recycle dead unit names when I produce new units or, if there are no old names available, create new ones. This goes the same for naval ships - they are also all named. Every so often after combat, I have to go through all my units to make sure there are no name duplications or units that were killed and I forgot to mark off. Its not hard when you have say 100 units, but I now have 300+!
Yes it can get tedious, in view of this I may write a story first based on a Napoleon mod I worked on. There won't be as many units and I can get the feel for writing again. I added the United States as a civ as well as the Barbary Coast, so it should be interesting.

I will keep updated on your campaign in Japan.

Brucha I was messing around with paint, and it seems fairly easy to use. I made my own Infantry symbol just messing around, and some lines and arrows. I was wondering did you make your own unit symbols? I was thinking of making some and just putting them in a folder so I can copy and paste them later.

Brucha I was messing around with paint, and it seems fairly easy to use. I made my own Infantry symbol just messing around, and some lines and arrows. I was wondering did you make your own unit symbols? I was thinking of making some and just putting them in a folder so I can copy and paste them later.

I copy unit symbols from military maps I found using Google.

While General Kuropatkin’s 3rd Army batters its way into T’aipei (and nearly destroyinghis entire force in the process), the action turns to the seaborne landings on mainland Japan. Unfortunately, the landings are taking place at the same time as the battle of T’aipei, so the Russian commanders are completely unaware of just how close to defeat the Russian 3rd Army came to.

During Week 9, 1903, my 2nd Battle Squadron continues to shell Tokyo with great success; the naval academy is destroyed and the dreadnought, HJM Tatsuta is sunk in port.

As the Russian ships at Tokyo shelled the city and the 2nd Army besieged the city of Osaka, hoping to cut off all routes to the south to prevent a relief force from reaching Kagoshima, General Mikhail Alekseyev’s 1st Army was in position to initiate his assault upon the city. In all, General Alekseyev’s 1st Army comprised of eleven cavalry and ten infantry divisions, as well as eight batteries of artillery and the Russian 1st Battle Squadron anchored just off the coast. Defending the city was but one cavalry and five infantry divisions.

Battle of Kagoshima
On Feb 8, Generel Alexseyev ordered the preliminary land and sea bombardment to commence, which lasted all day and into the night. In the massive bombardment, the Russians fired over 200,000 shells from both artillery and naval guns that rattled house 80 miles away. The Japanese defenders, lacking any artillery themselves and no formal sort of defensive positions in place, could only huddle in buildings and homes and await the general ground attack:

At 7.30 AM the next day, there was a brief and unsettling silence as the bombardment tapered off and the Russian troops left their staging areas, formed up into uniform waves and advanced. Along the Kui-Shiu Road, the attack was almost a complete failure from the onset. Three Russian divisions were ordered forward to take positions held by the Japanese 31st Infantry Division, which had already lost some 20% of its men to the brutal preliminary shelling. Forced to advance into the enemy fire with no cover, however, the 19th and 20th Siberian Cavalry divisions were effectively wiped out before they even reached the enemy lines. The 22nd Cavalry made a brave frontal charge on the enemy position and managed to overwhelm the enemy position despite suffering nearly 80% losses (1/5 hp).

As the Russian right flank struggled in their advance, the left flank advanced all along their front. Again, here too the initial attack was met with stiff resistance; the Russian 31st Cavalry Division charged the Japanese 10th Infantry Division (it too at only 60% strength due to the opening shelling) and was repulsed with such losses that the division ceased to exist. However, the 27th Cavalry charged forward with such ferocity that they overran the Japanese defenses and a wild melee developed from which the 27th cavalry emerged victorious. Without waiting for reinforcements, the
27th wheeled north and charged enemy positions held by the Japanese 29th Infantry. The Japanese 29th steadfastly held their positions and the 27th Cavalry was reduced to just 20% of its original strength (1/5 hp) before the defenders surrendered.

By the morning of Feb 10th, General Alexseyev felt that a breakthrough was imminent; though casualties had been high the previous day, he felt that one final push could overwhelm the remaining resistance and the city would fall. The main drive was now focused near the center and far left flank of the Japanese line, So far, General Alexseyev has committed only five of his twenty-one divisions. Again, the Russian assaults were bloody, but by nightfall the attack was a success. Initially, the Russian 29th Cavalry was marched through the night to swing behind the Russian line in preparation of the morning attack. At 8.02 am, the Russian cavalry charged the Japanese 14th Cavalry division. Though the swift charge had cost them half their men (2/4 hp), the 29th took the enemy positions in a brief but bloody attack.

Meanwhile, General Alexseyev ordered the advance of four divisions to destroy the last remaining defenders still holding out in the city. At 10.23 am, the Russian began pushing west down the high ground overlooking the city to the east. The 1st Guards Cavalry charged a unit of Japanese home guards, hastily recruited to defend the city from its local populace. However, despite their lack of formal training, the home guards managed a stiff defense that cost the 1st Guards Cavalry half their men (2/4 hp) before the enemy positions were captured.

The Japanese 17th Infantry division held the last defended positions like madmen as the Russian troops made numerous attempts to overwhelm them, inching closer with each attempt. The 35th Infantry was repulsed with heavy losses (¼ hp) and the 20th Cavalry wiped out completely. The enemy positions were finally overrun at 5pm in the afternoon by the 5th Cavalry, though they too suffered heavy losses in the attack. With that, the city falls.
(2/4 hp).

Unlike the hapless assaults by the Russian 3rd Army, the 1st Army performed much better than Kuropatkin’s men. Casualties were much lighter, having lost only six divisions to the 3rd Army’s loss of twelve and Alexseyev could now turn his army north to link up with the Russian 2nd Army besieging Osaka. The 1st Battle Squadron was ordered to depart from Kagoshima towards the eastern coast of Osaka while Alexseyev marched north to link up with 2nd Army.

2nd Army’s twenty-one divisions and six batteries of artillery faced nine Japanese divisions bottled up in Osaka. General Vasily Gurko, commander of the 2nd Army, wisely opted not to attack the heavily defended city with little artillery support and no naval gun support and awaited the arrival of 1st Army from the south. Indeed, Gurko’s army was reinforced not only by 1st Army, but also by the late arrival of General Alexander Dutov’s 4th Reserve Army which made a seaborne landing just to the north of 2nd Army. With the arrival of the 4th Reserve Army, which numbered thirty-two divisions strong, the combined Russian forces outside of Osaka now numbered nearly 70 divisions. The three Russian armies begin shelling Osaka with artillery and awaited the arrival of naval support off the eastern coast.

As 1st Army marches north, the ring around Osaka proved to be ineffective as a small force of six Japanese Home Guard divisions marched through the city and down towards Kagoshima. Defending the city was only a small and weakened garrison of 5 cavalry and two infantry divisions (all damaged).

Meanwhile, the HJM Mikasa who had escaped from Tokyo earlier last week, now turned back from Kagoshima to attempt to return to Tokyo.

The HJM Mikasa, having turned to return to the safely of Tokyo harbor, is spotted by the Russian 2nd Battle Squadron:

10.33 AM - HJM Mikasa makes a dash for Tokyo
10.39 AM - HJM Mikasa spotted, squadron moves south to intercept
10.58 AM - the destroyers, Gilyak and Voslivi shell HJM Mikasa from a distance, hitting it twice (5/7 hp)
11.12 AM - the cruisers engage Mikasa at long range, causing considerable damage (2/7 hp)
11.19 AM - Latvia BB engages HJM Mikasa directly, hits it once (1/7 hp) before taking multple hits and sinks
11.30 AM - Radlov BB engages Mikasa and sinks her without taking damage

Meanwhile, to the north, the Russian 1st Cruiser Division, has steamed north from the Sea of Japan to intercept the tiny Japanese invasion force headed for the Kuril Islands:

3.59 AM - Japanese fleet spotted
4.10 AM - squadron gives chase
4.19 AM - enemy turns north hoping to lose pursuers in the darkness
4.29 AM - cruiser Amur engages HJM Harusama BB directly, suffers two hits (4.6 hp) but sinks Harusama
4.37 AM - cruiser Admiral Nakhimov II easily sinks HJM Kagero steam transport, 3 full Japanese infantry divisions lost to the sea

Finally, the East Asiatic Fleet arrives off the coast of Osaka later in the week and begins shelling the city - the naval bombardment destroys the city’s coastal forts and naval academy, as well as causing damage among the defenders.

In all, the invasions are taking much longer than I had anticipated. Though I greatly outnumber Osaka's garrison, I don't want to wreck my armies attacking full strength japanese infantry and suffer the same fate as the 3rd Army. The Osaka garrison is strong and the garrison at Tokyo is even stronger. Now that I have brought in the 4th Reserve Army, I have no reserves beyond those at Hong Kong that is reinforcing the ravaged 3rd Army at T'aipei. I am preparing to gather reinforcements in Korea, but it is taking time to do so.

Just one word: OUCH. :(

Ha, ha, actually, I think I did better than before in T'aipei, or do you mean the combined nearly 70 divisions right now outside of Osaka?

Indeed, I am also surprised by my losses. I am now becoming overcautious in my attacks, waiting for overwhelming forces before attacking. Osaka is heavily defended, and Toyko even more so and expect heavy losses in taking both of them. I might not be able to conquer all the Japanese Islands in one campaign.

I'd take Osaka if I could, then make peace with Japan while scrounging up some more battleships and reinforcements.

Then plaster the heck out of them. You've simply got to have more heavy artillery, and seaborne arty is the only way you're going to get anywhere unless you want to decimate your forces entirely.

I copy unit symbols from military maps I found using Google.

Ok, Thanks I'll take a look, but first I have to catch up on your invasion of Japan.

I have entered the 2nd tech age as of Week 9 of 1903, but need to research three techs I think before being able to produce the next version of artillery. I think its field guns, with a bombard of 12 and rate of fire of 2.

The 1st Army performed much better, and you do have overwhelming strength around Osaka. You have complete naval superiority. I would really soften them up alot with artillery bombardment, before engaging to attack, which I am sure you will. The attack on Tokyo is another question, but first to see what happens at Osaka.

Now is 1st army(which is marching north) going to attack the six Japanese home guard divisions which escaped from the ring around Osaka, and are marching towards lightly defended Kagoshima? You don't want enemy divisions in you rear.

I think your plans are sound and soon you will have the 3rd Army back into shape and reserves once again in Korea. This does take precious time.

I know in my game recently I had to have two divisions dig in to a well defensible jungle square east of their objective, the city of Kuman, to wait for reinforcements from abroad. These reinforcements had to come from across the Atlantic. They arrived finally, and in the meantime, the enemy attacked me several times without success, I was a bit nervous there for a minute.

Top Bottom