1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The "OMG! Look what happened!" Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by ZachScape, Apr 12, 2009.

1. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

This is madness! This is blasphemy!

2. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

What is this I don't even what?! Khmer is a vassal of China and still beat you to the natives? Shame, Portugal! :p

3. Idonthaveo

Idonthaveo Chieftain

I don't have a screen but I was playing AD600 as the Russians and in 1852 I was the most powerful nation in the world. Things were going along just fine and I founded a three colonies in the 'New world' (shouldn't have done that since it decrease stability) and signed defense pact with 4 other nations also have a vassal of my own.(Aztecs) Then EVERYBODY who I didn't sign defense pact or vassal declared WAR on me and my allies (I have no idea why because they were all pleased with me). That is 10(Bad guys) Vs 6(My allies). The Great War has came early for me. O.O I think the AI suffer from anger issues cause there was constantly war in that game.

4. Duke of Britain

Duke of Britain Emperor

1852? were the germans the first ones? i think the thing was : germany dowed you, your allies dowed germany, german allies dowed your allies and you dowed german allies. don't you just love these world wars? :D

5. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

With the Khmer UP, consequences will never be the same.

6. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

I'm with Duke of Britain, I think that is what happened :)

I tend to avoid defensive pacts at all costs in most of my games now, I find I get in a ridiculous amount of trouble and dragged into wars I have absolutely no interest in. Unless I happen to be planning a war myself, in which case I like to sign loads of defensive pacts and see how many of my new allies I can drag down with me :D

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I always sign as many defensive pacts as possible, even if I'm trying to play a peaceful game. Because those sessions where civ decides to screw you over just because Russia wants to conquer Japan's useless Siberian tundra cities always tend to be the best :D

8. Duke of Britain

Duke of Britain Emperor

the fun about def pacts is that they work more like true alliances, you allies won't be dragged in a minor war against some idiot, but if it's a major war they join you. just love it, i always sign defensive pacts. world wars, alliances, isn't everything nice? :D

9. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

I love world wars. So many times where I've nearly lost everything because some old man goes on a damn fool crusade. Well, maybe not an old man, but Louis is a very mysterious person.

10. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

I wish there was a way to give the AI either more units or more "willingness" to use them in case of wars. I want to see Turkey fight its way through Europe or Russian tanks driving down through China - essentially a more "risk-taking" AI :D

11. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Warlord

I find the AI rarely goes out of it's geographical area, European nations never really conquer outside of Europe and occasionally N. Africa. Turkey stays in the middle east except for Athens, Khmer will only ever go into India or China; and all of this is generally against independent cities. Obvs the conquerer event changes things, but then the AI just uses what it is given.
    Is there a way to tweak the AI to ignore stability a bit more, and conquer areas they really shouldn't?

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

As far as I know, the AI doesn't take stability into account for conquering (look at those German empires that conquer Scandinavia and then collapse).

So I guess it's more a problem of successful naval invasions and maybe continent boundaries.

13. Duke of Britain

Duke of Britain Emperor

sweden is actually yellow to germany, so it doesn't give that big hit of stability. i see germany collapse when they conquer France and start the march to moscow and constantinople. bad thing that France isn't yellow to germany... they should :(

14. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

All of France shouldn't be. The parts of France that border Germany should be (and are).

15. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Warlord

this is what happens if you give Europe Astronomy after America spawns

Attached Files:

16. Duke of Britain

Duke of Britain Emperor

wrong, switzerland is yellow, not france, here are even german territories today that aren't yellow (west germany, and part of the danish peninsula). take a look at the stability map and another look at a map of europe. the only french area yellow (and should be green) is alsace-lorraine.
    also, what about charlemagne empire and the holy roman empire? France should have some yellow in some more areas to east, and germany to the west (including more french areas, like some bordering belgium, for example)

LoL, impressive, no european country had astronomy till that moment?

17. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Warlord

no, I gave it to the Dutch, my vassals, and I think England got it shortly afterwards. Playing an ancient civ all the way into the modern era really seems to cripple later civ's teching abilities, probs because you build all of the wonders

18. youknowwhatitis

youknowwhatitis Warlord

Turks have physics in 1709:sad:

Attached Files:

19. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

20. nody

nody Emperor

The American civilization shouldn't spawn if there are no European colonies in North America, but I guess that's so unlikely that Rhye didn't think of it.