The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there was one particularly strident Jewish YEC who frequented the boards here a few years back, but that's extremely unusual, to say the least.

Asimov was also an atheist, though it took a long time for him to admit it. There's a whole section on his religious beliefs on his Wikipedia page.

Well, there was one particularly strident Jewish YEC who frequented the boards here a few years back, but that's extremely unusual, to say the least.

Never heard of him.

I did say that it was a few years back.

Asimov was also an atheist, though it took a long time for him to admit it. There's a whole section on his religious beliefs on his Wikipedia page.

I looked through his wikiquote page and it's clear that he was against creationism. I was looking for a quote that supposedly showed even if he didn't say he supported the idea, he clearly showed that he knew it was right, but I couldn't find the quote. It's something like how the human brain is more complex than anything else in the universe.

Been here five years. You're not much more ancient.

Two years is a long time in politics. Besides, it being a long time ago could simply indicate the failings of the human memory.

I looked through his wikiquote page and it's clear that he was against creationism. I was looking for a quote that supposedly showed even if he didn't say he supported the idea, he clearly showed that he knew it was right, but I couldn't find the quote. It's something like how the human brain is more complex than anything else in the universe.

Well, given that he was neither a neurologist nor an astrophysicist, his thoughts on the relative complexity of the human brain are not that important. Besides, the usual creationist argument is that of irreducible complexity and I think we can be fairly certain that he never claimed that was true.

Well, given that he was neither a neurologist nor an astrophysicist, his thoughts on the relative complexity of the human brain are not that important. Besides, the usual creationist argument is that of irreducible complexity and I think we can be fairly certain that he never claimed that was true.

When I heard that quote from Isaac Asimov said by someone, they paired it with a quote from Wernher von Braun, who said something like the human eye and human brain is so complex that it couldn't have appeared by random chance.

I can't find any evidence of Isaac Asimov commenting on irreducible complexity.

Well, as we've established that Asimov was indeed not a creationist, it's not an issue, is it? It doesn't matter anyway, seeing as since he was not an astrophysicist, geologist or evolutionary biologist, his alleged opinion on irreducible complexity is not professionally relevant.

Owen! (and others), what effect do toe-socks have on their wearer possibly having more (or less) athlete's foot and other such common problems?

Oh! I don't know. Athlete's foot isn't really something I get.

I'm trying to track down a game. I last played it on the Atari 800XL. While most of you have probably never seen an Atari 800XL let alone played games on it, a lot of games from the Atari 2600 console also made it onto the 800XL, so this game I'm trying to track down was likely also playable on other platforms (possibly even non-Atari ones)

The game is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up game. You fly in a spaceship and always move to the right. This sounds like a LOT of games out there, so I doubt I will be able to figure this out, but this game seemed a bit ahead of its time in terms of graphics and gameplay. You basically piloted a spaceship through tunnels, with turrets, spaceships, etc. Each level had its own colour scheme. You could of course upgrade your ship, get new weapons, etc. I remember this game being very hard - it was tough to make it to the 2nd or 3rd level even after many hours of play.

The game's name was something like Zoltrax. That wasn't it at all - but I think it was something like that. I seem to remember just one word, and the letter x is jumping out at me too, although it's possible it wasn't in the title at all.

I realize this is a long shot, but I might as well try.

Sounds as if you've been playing a 2D version of Descent, warpus.
Oh! I don't know. Athlete's foot isn't really something I get.
And regarding ingrown toenails and such? And, well, stink? Do toe-socks make any difference regarding foot-stench?

I'm trying to track down a game. I last played it on the Atari 800XL. While most of you have probably never seen an Atari 800XL let alone played games on it, a lot of games from the Atari 2600 console also made it onto the 800XL, so this game I'm trying to track down was likely also playable on other platforms (possibly even non-Atari ones)

The game is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up game. You fly in a spaceship and always move to the right. This sounds like a LOT of games out there, so I doubt I will be able to figure this out, but this game seemed a bit ahead of its time in terms of graphics and gameplay. You basically piloted a spaceship through tunnels, with turrets, spaceships, etc. Each level had its own colour scheme. You could of course upgrade your ship, get new weapons, etc. I remember this game being very hard - it was tough to make it to the 2nd or 3rd level even after many hours of play.

The game's name was something like Zoltrax. That wasn't it at all - but I think it was something like that. I seem to remember just one word, and the letter x is jumping out at me too, although it's possible it wasn't in the title at all.

I realize this is a long shot, but I might as well try.

I don't know if it was available on Atari, but the game you're describing sounds a lot like Magmax.

Sounds as if you've been playing a 2D version of Descent, warpus.

It was something a bit more like this game I found also for the Atari 800XL that isn't it but is similar

Spoiler :

Fast forward to 3:00 to skip the intro

This one is called Humanoid though and my memory could be way off but I don't remember the game so cartoony. I also remember more corridors and a slightly smaller ship.

I don't know if it was available on Atari, but the game you're describing sounds a lot like Magmax.

I looked up Megmax and the main difference between the 2 games is that the game I'm thinking of was.. a flat projection, while Megmax is a bit 3D. Also that you are hovering over the land in Megmax, but in the game I want to find you see a flat crosssection of the action and you can basically only move up and down (or speed up or slow down)

Damn that looks close and fits the description so well, especially the name! Sadly it isn't it either :/ At least the levels seen in this video have plant and natural-like qualities, whereas I remember more corridors, straight edges, some rough edges sure, and there were some cave parts maybe, but I remember more order to the floor and ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom