The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'd do is phone my sister, ask what she is getting them and offer to make a contribution. After all, if they're toddlers, ultimately it's your sister who should be making the decisions in the end.
Went shopping today and bought some colouring books, crayons, a puzzle and a book about some goats going to a waterpark. It'll do.
Buy the 5 year old an electric toothbrush. Toys go away but a smile lasts forever!

I should try some fishing, moving here I thought about some ice fishing but that'd be awfully cold for a first time fishing experience.
A toothbrush for christmas? Are you the grinch, perchance?

Ice fishing is great. Very peaceful. It's not too cold with warm clothes coffee/tea on a termos.

The US has just too questionable legal situation of prostitutes. I don't quite want to risk my job for that. I need to stay legally squeaky clean to keep my job.

Try a trip to the EU :D.

I'm trying to organize another visit to my college friends, in 2016 had a nice like 3 or 4 day visit with them to meetup. The logistics of it is pretty easy location wise of where we meet since they are mainly clustered around 1 area

Young people refuse to make plans though. Everyone floats around a "maybe, probably but i dunno". Even though my college friends work regular office jobs like me where it is beneficial to schedule vacation days like a month in advance, millenials just are incapable of actually committing to anything.

In this case: Pick a city where one of them lives, and where you actually want to see something. Then do a short trip there, and just tell them you're there for the time, and if they have time to meet up. Done. Either they'll spend some time with you, or you do just whatever you want. And as said: Make it a short trip, so that you'll not get bored if they don't have time.

Q:
I need to buy my niece(3) and nephew(5) x-mas presents. What do you buy for kids these days? I'd like to avoid buying some plastic gizmo they already have a billion of.
Get them a SEGA Genesis. The damned things can last for decades.
I've already asked my sister. I didn't get all that much out of it. Though lego was mentioned as a possibility for the oldest.
Lego? Danish stuff?
Went shopping today and bought some colouring books, crayons, a puzzle and a book about some goats going to a waterpark. It'll do.
Please tell me the book is for me.

So, question: pros and cons of wearing toe socks?

Get them a SEGA Genesis. The damned things can last for decades.

Lego? Danish stuff?

Please tell me the book is for me.
Yeah but I suspect a working sega genesis costs a lot of moolah these days, no?

I have to specify what I mean by lego??!! whatwhatwhat?

The book is not for you but I can read it to you over skype when it's your bed time. I'll even do funny voices.

I think that Takhisis was emphasising Danish rather than Lego. :)

I will never truly understand tak's rich inventory of feelings towards Scandinavia. It's a complex maze of admiration and hostility.

Pro: They're toe socks!

Con: NONE
OK, go on.

(you might not believe it, but it is a serious question)
Yeah but I suspect a working sega genesis costs a lot of moolah these days, no?

The book is not for you but I can read it to you over skype when it's your bed time. I'll even do funny voices.
A working Sega Genesis… what, you people stopped stocking them? They're still on sale here if you know where to look.
Lego is Danish. Æternal enemies with Snorway and so on.
I will have to add you to Skype then.
I will never truly understand tak's rich inventory of feelings towards Scandinavia. It's a complex maze of admiration and hostility.
Put it down to my connections to Finland.
Does England have like legal existence?
Unfortunately, it is still legal for the bloody buggers to exist, but we're getting there.

Also, ‘[wiki]England and Wales[/wiki]’ is a distinct division within the UK of GB and I. Some laws apply only there, for example.

I don't think a working Genesis would be expensive or hard to find. An original NES would be, as the overwhelming majority of those no longer work due to the easily corroded connectors in them.

Unfortunately, it is still legal for the bloody buggers to exist, but we're getting there.

Also, ‘[wiki]England and Wales[/wiki]’ is a distinct division within the UK of GB and I. Some laws apply only there, for example.

That's actually what I originally wondered about lol. Whether Wales really is not part of England

But like, is "England and Wales" like legally a thing or just "The part of Great Britain that isn't Scotland or Northern Ireland"?

I just baked some steak rare and it tastes a bit rotten to me. Two explanations:

1. This is the normal taste of raw meat, and I've been conditioned to associate with rottenness.
2. Supermarket delis will sell slightly rotting meat that isn't far along enough to taste rotten at medium doneness.

Anyone get this impression after trying rare for the first time?

Last edited:
That's actually what I originally wondered about lol. Whether Wales really is not part of England

But like, is "England and Wales" like legally a thing

Yes; there is a common legal jurisdiction for England and Wales.

However the Welsh have their devolved national assembly for Wales.

Welsh is spoken in Wales, but it is only really predominant in the North of Wales.

There are cultural and even some genetic distinctions between the Nortth and South Wales.

or just "The part of Great Britain that isn't Scotland or Northern Ireland"?

Not quite.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

Great Britain is in essence one large Island, although it is customary to refer to small adjacent
islands such as the Isle of Wight, Lindesfarne Island and the Scilly Isles as being part of Great Britain.

Other islands such as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are neither part of GB nor the UK
although the UK represents thenm for the purposes of international things such as EU, NATO or UN.

It was named Great Britain to distinguish it from Brittany which is in fact the north west tip of France.

Remember, it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The legal system of Northern Ireland is very much like the legal system of England
and Wales, although there are some differences in laws.

The legal system of Scotland is significantly different from that of England and Wales.

They currently have three sets of applicable laws in Scotland:

(i) European Laws,
(ii) UK Laws; and
(iii) Scottish Laws.

I just baked some steak rare and it tastes a bit rotten to me. Two explanations:

1. This is the normal taste of raw meat, and I've been conditioned to associate with rottenness.
2. Supermarket delis will sell rotten meat that isn't far along enough to taste rotten at medium doneness.

Anyone get this impression after trying rare for the first time? (It's a sirloin steak, in case that helps- not the best cut for rare.)

That doesn't sound right to me

Q:
I need to buy my niece(3) and nephew(5) x-mas presents. What do you buy for kids these days? I'd like to avoid buying some plastic gizmo they already have a billion of.
Some plastic gizmos can become beloved toys. Just recently I found one of the plastic farm animals I used to play with when I was 3 (and remembered the name I gave it). That was 47.5 years ago. If I had the rest of the set, I'd be a very happy camper, since I played with those things for hours at a stretch (and drove my mother nuts, telling her the stories I made up about them).

Some plastic gizmos can become beloved toys.
I don't think that's the case anymore. They've so much of every kind of toy that there's no time to bond to specific toys. Even really cool toys will just blend in the crowd and be forgotten.

My oldest sister bought the kids and the parents theatre tickets, which I think if a fantastic idea for a gift these days.

I don't think that's the case anymore. They've so much of every kind of toy that there's no time to bond to specific toys. Even really cool toys will just blend in the crowd and be forgotten.
Yes, well, keep in mind that I'm talking about a set of toy farm animals and a truck that I received for Christmas in 1966. Back in those days toys didn't tend to be battery-operated, and the kids had to actively play with them. We didn't just sit there and watch the toy play all by itself once a switch was flipped.

I guess it helps that I didn't get so much that I just tossed them all aside 20 minutes later, from boredom.

Coloring books and crayons are an excellent idea, btw - it requires the child to use some imagination, and you never know if you might have contributed to the first steps of that child becoming an artist. They all have to start somewhere.

For that matter, coloring is something adults do as well. I've got a stack of Creative Haven coloring books and a large box of pencil crayons, gel pens, felt pens, and wax crayons. Prior to October this year, I'd use the commercial time during my afternoon soap to color (approximately 20-25 minutes out of a "60-minute" program). And Doodle Arts have come back in style after 40 years (3 times the price, of course). Maybe I can finally finish the one my dad gave me for my 12th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom