1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread 36

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

This is a political question, and not an economic one. If Republicans continue to win elections over the next 30 years at the rate that they have won them over the past 30 years, then the retirement age will be raised, and benefits will be cut. You won't be able to rely on the US government for anything. If they start losing elections enough for the political center to swing back as far left as it was when Eisenhower was president, then Social Security is safe.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  2. civvver

civvver Warlord

You can get a projection based on today's dollars on the SS website. I max it which is like $2900 a month. If I add a 50% spousal benefit my retirement shoots up really high. Idk how spousal works, she has some credits but hasn't worked since we had kids 6 years ago. Do you get whichever is greater?

I'm sure the age will go up to 68 or 69 at some point in my lifetime. People live so much longer now, it kind of has to, and by the time I retire in 2050 or so I'll be life expectancy will be high 80s. I don't think they'll cut the benefits so much as tax more income. They should just remove the caps on it, tax all earned income and consider taxing capital gains if needed.

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Right now your spouse gets to choose which amount she wants to get. She can then change it later. Once you retire you can earn as much extra money as you want without affecting your SS payments.

http://socialsecurityhelps.com/spou...spousal benefits&utm_content=spousal-benefits

$35,000 in SS is like having a portfolio of over $800,000 from which you can draw 4% from annually. Your wife's SS only makes that better. If you have your own fixed value portfolio of $500,000 that you drain at a 4% rate, you get another $20,000 per year. If you then retire without a mortgage or other debt, you just have to decide if you can live off $60-70,000 a year.

4. Samson

Samson Warlord

My point of view is "Do you want to rely on a pyramid scheme to fund my retirement?" and go from there.

5. civvver

civvver Warlord

I'll have way more than that, but you have to adjust for inflation. Remember we're talking today's dollars, so really in ~30 years you're going to need 2 to 2.5 times that amount. 20k today will be like 40-50k in 30 years.

6. Birdjaguar

Yes, to simplify things I've ignored inflation and other dynamics like growth of your portfolio. The key is to start saving as young as you you can and let time and compounding do much of the work. Saving is hard work, especially if you have a family.

7. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

And if your company offers any type of matching on 401ks, to at least contribute enough to maximize the match.
    In the old days the standard was match 1 for 1 up to 5 % but these days some companies are only matching half, which sucks.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. civvver

civvver Warlord

That's what I do, only enough to max the match. They match 1 for 1 up to 3, then half for next 3, so I put in 6% and they match 4.5% for a total of 10.5. I'd like to up it a few more points but I'm also saving for kids college in 529 plans and paying off some credit cards. Bah life is just expensive.

9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Sounds like sound decisions to me. For me the most important was getting off the vicious Credit Card cycle. It was clear sailing after that.

10. civvver

civvver Warlord

When we built our house we put our landscaping, window treatments, some furniture, water softener, radon mitigation system, stuff like that, on 0% credit cards. I thought the 20 month intro offer would be enough time to pay it off but nope lol. I'm on my second 20 month offer now. Such is life. I can't complain too much, it's my own fault for not properly budgeting.

11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Life does get in the way. Hope you have no other issues that slow it down.

12. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

What is a radon mitigation system?
    I am aware that there are several sources of natural radon in a house like stones and concrete.
    Here we just open the windows to get fresh air in and the stale air out, as it is also necessary for humidity control.
    Is it used in zero emission homes (low energy) due to the limits to air ventilation or what is the concept behind it?

13. Birdjaguar

Radon mitigation depends upon how the house is built. Houses on slabs have to be treated differently than those with basements or crawl spaces. You have to determine where the gas is accumulating and then vent that to the outside.

14. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

They can legally order just about anything, no matter how unreasonable, unless it's extremely illegal. And even then it's hard to get it stopped, fixed, and the perpetrators dealt with.

One of my lottery fantasies is to own an apartment building that mandates that all tenants must have a cat (with proper checks to make sure they're properly cared for, of course).

The company that owns the building I live in has buildings all across Canada. That's why the people staffing the 24-hour call centre have to be bilingual. You never know when your after-hours call about plumbing or some security matter could get re-routed to a call centre in Quebec. How that works is the Quebec agent would email the on-call staff here in Red Deer (or vicinity; one time the after-hours maintenance guy who came here had to come in from Innisfail and was quite peeved about it). It gets even more bizarre if said on-call person happens to be the guy who lives on the floor above me.

Have you tried any of them since then? It would be a shame to miss out on them.

Persnickety.

As Synsensa says, "Yes."

Actually, it depends on the person and situation. With a lot of small gifts, there's a greater chance of there being one that the recipient likes. But a bigger one could be something they've been wanting but can't afford themselves.

Hm... you're going to name a starship after us? The U.S.S. CivFanatics?

No blowing up of the Moon, 'k? :nono: Besides Jupiter, it's the only celestial object I can still reliably see. (hopefully the surgery will help my night vision so I can actually do some stargazing if I ever get somewhere that has no light pollution)

"The Queen of Hearts, she baked some tarts
    All on a summer's day.
    The Knave of Hearts stole the tarts and took them clean away.
    The King of Hearts called for the tarts and beat the knave full...
    (sorry, I don't remember the rest of it - but the Jack is also known as the Knave)

I tend to think of the Jack as a prince.

Regular soap should lessen that.

dusters likes this.
  15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

First you need your place tested to see if you have a problem. Most don't. It is usually a matter of a basement which has limited airflow and the radon accumulates over time. An installed system will have a large diameter pipe, usually like 6 inch PVC, which extends into the basement, or even below the foundation, and up to roof level of the house to vent, and has a small fan which runs constantly. They can make kind of an annoying noise when running, so run them as far from the bedrooms as possible.

Where you are determines what the risk level you may have is.

But you should have a place independently tested before deciding if you need an install.

More info here.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/protect-home-radon/index.html

Even if you're in the higher risk zone, that doesn't mean your place has the problem. A tight house will more likely have it than an older one. But location and soils matter.

The_J likes this.
  16. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

My house is 67 Bq/m3 or 1.8 pC/L. In the UK the action level is 200 Bq/m3.

There are out crops of granite near by which has veins of uranium ore. A days walk up the coast there are uranium ore nodules, 0.3-0.5%, on the beach that they recommend you do not put in your pocket.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~imw/Budleigh-Salterton.htm

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

You live in Southampton, capital of Brutalism?
    I thought you were in London.

18. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

That link is from a geologist who works at Southampton University. It is about a section of coast near me which I can see from the cliffs near my house. You can see in excess of 50 miles over the sea but the place with the uranium nodules is closer than that.

I have worked in London, south of the river is best.

Kyriakos likes this.
  19. civvver

civvver Warlord

I'm in like a zone 2 close to a zone 3. Our level was 5.5 when tested, not high but high enough to fix. New houses are sewn up so tight for energy efficiency the air flow is really bad. My heating bills are very cheap though. My basement, and I think all modern basements in the us are built this way, has pea gravel under the concrete and a hole in the corner so any water from the sides of the house can drain into the hole, which a sump pump then pumps it outside. For the radon system they just seal the sump pump hole with plexiglass and caulk and attach a pvc pipe which then goes outside and up the side of the house. There's a fan on the outside of the house that runs constantly. It's extremely quiet and I can only hear it if I stand next to the sump pump. I have no idea how much it costs to run, I don't track my energy usage that closely but probably a couple bucks a month. Anyway it sucks air from the pea gravel sub floor and blows it outside so you get constant airflow and the radon cannot settle. Now my radon level is undetectable.

The thing about radon is it can change. Maybe in the summer your level is fine but then in the winter when the ground is frozen it raises. It fluctuates over time so I'd rather be safe than sorry and the whole system was only $800.

It looks just like this from the outside.

Birdjaguar, Lexicus, Cutlass and 2 others like this.
  20. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Thanks for all the information. Apparently we have quite some radon levels here but I never heard about it before...
    Spoiler Map of ground air radiation levels :

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.