The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own two with only inches.

I have two measuring tapes that are inches only, and I live in Canada, where we are fully metric.

It seems like Imperial measurement is the purvey of woodworkers everywhere. Who knew?

I have a compact tape measurer that is inches only.

It seems like Imperial measurement is the purvey of woodworkers everywhere. Who knew?

I did...or at least found out the hard way. :sad:

When I designed my stairwell, I used the metric system. Then I discovered wood here come in feet. :eek:
So my challenge was to fit feet and inches steps into a 4-meter-long stairwell.

Clever boy me :smug:, each step is 13-inches means 3 steps are 39 inches, which is close enough to 1-meter.
So, 6 steps lead to a ~1-meter wide landing, turn. and 6 steps back to another ~1-meter wide landing.

What is the situation for LGBT people in Italy and Greece? I plan to study classical philology this semester and I may have to travel to these countries eventually. Is gay marriage legal in either of these? Do campuses have LGBT clubs in universities or anything similar?

Apparently they allow civil unions in Italy. Realistically that's the best I was hoping for in such a heavily religious country.

How much does it cost you guys to get your car's air con serviced?

I spotted a place half way to Tagbilaran from my house, where it cost us ~$75. My driver was elated because he says in Tagbilaran it costs twice as much.

To me, these amounts seem high :dubious: but what do I know?

I have two measuring tapes that are inches only, and I live in Canada, where we are fully metric.

I grew up in Ontario, and I'm always surprised at how half-metric, half-imperial things really seem to be, lol. My parents' and my sister's home thermometers are in fahrenheit, even when their weather channel and everything's in celsius. I haven't used an oven in Canada in ever such a long time, do your ovens do fahrenheit or celsius? I remember growing up and going to doctors I was always told my weight in pounds and my height in feet and inches, oh but I do admit I've been gone for almost fifteen years so I totally understand things might've changed. But like just a couple years ago I was staying for a week at a rental house, and I went to try to purchase some cheese from a grocery store deli, and I asked for 500 grams, and the woman working there just sort of gave me a blank look like I was speaking ancient Greek or something, until she corrected me to "Ohh .. one pound!", I guess I was just assuming she'd want me to ask in metric, lol.

Where I work at, I normally see just standard American units on tape measuresers. Though however, the ones were issued has both standard and metric.

I grew up in Ontario, and I'm always surprised at how half-metric, half-imperial things really seem to be, lol. My parents' and my sister's home thermometers are in fahrenheit, even when their weather channel and everything's in celsius. I haven't used an oven in Canada in ever such a long time, do your ovens do fahrenheit or celsius? I remember growing up and going to doctors I was always told my weight in pounds and my height in feet and inches, oh but I do admit I've been gone for almost fifteen years so I totally understand things might've changed. But like just a couple years ago I was staying for a week at a rental house, and I went to try to purchase some cheese from a grocery store deli, and I asked for 500 grams, and the woman working there just sort of gave me a blank look like I was speaking ancient Greek or something, until she corrected me to "Ohh .. one pound!", I guess I was just assuming she'd want me to ask in metric, lol.
My oven does Fahrenheit. Oddly, so does every other oven I've ever used in Canada. :crazyeye:

I'm not actually sure. It might be because cookbooks are all in imperial. But weirdly, even a metric cookbook will often have the oven temperature in Fahrenheit.

What is the situation for LGBT people in Italy and Greece? I plan to study classical philology this semester and I may have to travel to these countries eventually. Is gay marriage legal in either of these? Do campuses have LGBT clubs in universities or anything similar?
Same-sex marriage as such is not legal in either country.
But I think they are obligated to recognise same-sex civil unions and marriages celebrated in other EU member states.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds promising. If I go there amidst my transition I don't risk much.

<shrugs> The metric system was designed to be really easy to do the math of conversions sensibly. Standard cropped up ad hoc through use. If you do something all the time, like woodworking or cooking/baking, the conversions become secondhand and trivial. Then what remains is if the units are usefully human-scale sized.

Why isn't there a unit measured in how much you can approximately cup in a hand? Then you wouldn't need any measuring devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom