The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad to me if mother and father would, in a collective address to their son, each speak of him as "my" son rather than together speak of him as "our" son.

It's sad to me if mother and father would, in a collective address to their son, each speak of him as "my" son rather than together speak of him as "our" son.

Yeah
It’s 7 relations

The only thing my parents ever called me was a disappointment.
I'm sorry to hear that, Syn. I will adopt you just for the length of time it takes me to say "Carry on, my wayward son."

(I didn't think my pointing out an ungrammaticality I'd just noticed in long-beloved song lyrics would be productive of so much response.)

(I'm starting to think part of the power of the lyrics is the ungrammiticality)

It's already at least a little sad, being wayward.

Yeah, I've been thinking about "wayward," too, in the wake of suddenly actually paying attention to these song lyrics.

I think I'd always just silently corrected it to "wandering." You're on life's voyage, it's wearying, but bear it out, and you'll reach a point of rest.

But "wayward" isn't just "wandering." Those voices are forgiving their son, even as they encourage him to continue on in the voyage.

(Oh, by the way, on a related note, the other day, I saw the coolest of those "Keep Calm and Carry On" t-shirts I've ever seen: "Keep Calm and Carry On, Wayward Son.")

Splendid. ;)

Yesterday, the Fox News website carried a story about Elizabeth Warren introducing a bill to nationalize all U.S. corporations. :wow: No other news service I checked carried the story. There's no follow up story today on Fox. So...is the US about to adopt a Marxist-Leninist economy, or was Fox News lying to me. :dubious:

Yesterday, the Fox News website carried a story about Elizabeth Warren introducing a bill to nationalize all U.S. corporations. :wow: No other news service I checked carried the story. There's no follow up story today on Fox. So...is the US about to adopt a Marxist-Leninist economy, or was Fox News lying to me. :dubious:
That's obviously the true purpose of the anti-corruption bill.

So...is the US about to adopt a Marxist-Leninist economy, or was Fox News lying to me. :dubious:
Hmmm... Tricky question... Let me think...

Fearr not, Comrrade Zkribbler. In name of interrnational brrotherhood, Mother Russia is happy to extend and explain frriendships to you. All USA are belong to USSR.

Today I saw an American ruler which showed inches-only, no centimeters. Is this commonplace?

Today I saw an American ruler which showed inches-only, no centimeters. Is this commonplace?
Not as far as I am aware. Every ruler I can think of shows inches and centimeters.

I've seen imperial-only rulers (not in the political sense :p) a couple times.

What about measuring tape?

Less common than they used to be. But by no means unlikely to be run across. But, like this is 3 minutes effort in my workshop:

The actual ruler, 1 tape measure, the template, and the level have metric and inches. The rest just inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom