The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrothbern

Deity
Retired Moderator
Previous thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...worth-their-own-thread-thread-xxxviii.649480/

Thread Nr 39

For the math nerds:
  • Thirty-nine is the sum of consecutive primes (3 + 5 + 7 + 11 + 13) and also is the product of the first and the last of those consecutive primes. Among small semiprimes only three other integers (10, 155, and 371) share this attribute. 39 also is the sum of the first three powers of 3 (31 + 32 + 33). Given 39, the Mertens function returns 0.[1]
  • 39 is the smallest natural number which has three partitions into three parts which all give the same product when multiplied: {25, 8, 6}, {24, 10, 5}, {20, 15, 4}.
  • 39 is the 12th distinct semiprime and the 4th in the {3.q} family. It is the last member of the third distinct biprime pair (38,39).
  • 39 has an aliquot sum of 17 which is a prime. 39 is the 4th member of the 17-aliquot tree. It is a perfect totient number.[2]
  • The thirteenth Perrin number is 39, which comes after 17, 22, 29 (it is the sum of the first two mentioned).[3]
  • Since the greatest prime factor of 392 + 1 = 1522 is 761, which is obviously more than 39 twice, 39 is a Størmer number.[4]
  • The F26A graph is a symmetric graph with 39 edges.
And for the more spiritual:
The main symbolism of the number 39 in numerology is optimism, humanitarianism, idealism, creativity, family, tolerance, self – expression, helping others, etc. These people are a good influence on others and inspire optimism in people.

How did you miss referencing John Buchan's famous adventure novel?

(Fun fact that ties in with our previous conversation: he became Governor-General of Canada in 1935 and, in 1940, quite literally died in office.)

In my slow cooker recipe book, there is a recipe for what looks like a pretty tasty lamb vindaloo. However, the recipe calls for 4 lbs of boneless lamb shoulder, which at my supermarket will run me nearly $30-$40. Is a beef shoulder roast an acceptable substitute?

I would think so @Ajidica. Every time I've cooked lamb it's very similar to beef in taste and texture. I personally would take this as an excuse to treat myself and get the lamb though. :lol:

You might have to cut the roast into smaller pieces to cook correctly or something.

Heck, @Ajidica that's cheap for lamb. Treat yourself. :)

I'm not having much luck with the thesaurus. Does anybody know a verb somewhere inbetween 'disliked' and 'hated'? Neither 'despised' or 'loathed' really seems right.

abhor ?
I'm not having much luck with the thesaurus. Does anybody know a verb somewhere inbetween 'disliked' and 'hated'? Neither 'despised' or 'loathed' really seems right.

I thought that hated came right after disliked, and all the cool words like loathed, despised, detested, and abhorred and such were out past just hated.

Where does "to resent" fit in ?

Where does "to resent" fit in ?

Parallel branch, IMO. Resentment isn't in the same direct line as dislike and hatred. I would resent something that you did. I might not hate you, or even dislike you over it. Conversely, I might hate somebody without any particular thing they did causing resentment.

I thought that hated came right after disliked, and all the cool words like loathed, despised, detested, and abhorred and such were out past just hated.
I think that hate comes in two varieties: the one right after dislike and one further out that leads to immoral acts. I hate broccoli versus I hate Jews.

I think that hate comes in two varieties: the one right after dislike and one further out that leads to immoral acts. I hate broccoli versus I hate Jews.

See, I think that second one really calls for one of those superior words. It takes more than hate to lead to immoral acts; that's a place for 'detest' or 'despise.' Something in that range. Of course, haters frequently have limited vocabularies.

Is there a way to see what date a game was bought/added to Steam and/or GOG? I want to fix all the "Date Added: 2019-03-05" in my Playnite library.

Is there a way to see what date a game was bought/added to Steam and/or GOG? I want to fix all the "Date Added: 2019-03-05" in my Playnite library.

Open Steam, click on your username at the top right, click on "Account details," click on "View licenses and product key activations."

Thank you. :)

GoG library can sort by purchase date, but I don't know a way to display it.

For GOG, just check out the Orders option in the <your name> dropdown menu. That has all the games you've bought or been given.

On maps, north is always the top. Who came up with this? Are there any maps that are oriented other ways?

On maps, north is always the top. Who came up with this? Are there any maps that are oriented other ways?
European maps used to have East at the top so that it pointed at Jerusalem or something. I believe that practice stopped around the discovery of the new world and that maps got standardized north to south around then. I guess that North got made as up since that's where most of the land and civilizations that would make maps are located. I don't think any languages are read from the bottom up, so the top of a map would naturally be seen as the 'beginning' regardless of what language you speak. And so you'd put the northern hemisphere there because it's your own hemisphere and naturally that goes first. I'm just spit balling though.

European maps used to have East at the top so that it pointed at Jerusalem or something. I believe that practice stopped around the discovery of the new world and that maps got standardized north to south around then. I guess that North got made as up since that's where most of the land and civilizations that would make maps are located. I don't think any languages are read from the bottom up, so the top of a map would naturally be seen as the 'beginning' regardless of what language you speak. And so you'd put the northern hemisphere there because it's your own hemisphere and naturally that goes first. I'm just spit balling though.

Around 1650-1700 and later maps of the Dutch Republic have typically North on top.

Before 1650 maps were in any orientation best fitting the page format of the atlas: just to get as much map on that asymetrical page (to get as much size and therefore detail as possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom