The Weather/Climate Thread

Sorry, I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that 20C is cold. For most people here, it's room temperature, and for me personally, it's too warm most of the year.

Sorry, I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that 20C is cold. For most people here, it's room temperature, and for me personally, it's too warm most of the year.

Please note I didn't say "cold". I said "cooler than normal". :)

According to BOM, average max for this time of year is 22C. Here's a rundown of recent Melbourne temps:

Date - maxC
21 - 17
22 - 17
23 - 16
24 - 16
25 - 16
26 - 17
27 - 18
28 - 18
29 - 18
30 - 19
31 - 18
1 - 22
2 - 26
3 - 17

Forecast for today (the 4th) is 17 (reached peak temp almost an hour ago).

England's weather is being the same as it always is. Stupidly unpredictable. Very heavy rain when I got up this morning, beautiful blue skies and reasonably warm now. It's as they say, we might not get the extreme weather of other parts of the world, but where else gets all four seasons in a single day?

We do, during a December or January chinook or a particularly nasty day in September/October. There's a saying in Alberta: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."

Of course that hasn't been valid for the last few days, as we're still in the midst of the first blizzard of the winter.

The Northeast US had a much warmer and drier October than normal. It was like September most of the month. But we're way behind on rainfall. It's dry around here.

It's too bad I can't email you some snow. I don't mind it being on the ground or in the trees, since that's where it's supposed to be. We don't need the stuff that's in the parking lot or on my balcony.

Too early for snow here. Half the leaves are still on the trees. When you get snow on that, trees break, and they break other things on the way down. 2 years ago we got a blizzard just before Halloween. The electricity was out for 7-12 days for places around here.

I was out with dinner with some old family friends yesterday, and they were commenting on how it used to snow so much more when they were younger, back in the 60's and 70's, than now, and nowadays, the snow we get is literally nothing compared to back then; at least in this part of MN.

Hell, myself approaching 30, I too am starting to notice a difference between snow amounts now versus when I was a kid. :undecide:

EDIT: 4,444'th post. Interesting.

Anything over a five day forecast is fairly worthless, imo.

Unless you live in a remarkably stable region for weather, that is.

If the second forecast pans out (which it probably won't), those would be some of the coldest November highs I have ever experienced.
Spoiler :

Above 50? That's toasty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/typhoon-haiyan-most-powerful-storm-to-ever-hit-land-batters-philippines-with-200mph-winds-8926719.html

Typhoon Haiyan, one of the most powerful storms ever recorded, is battering the central Philippines bringing with it sustained winds of nearly 200mph and leaving a trail of devastation in its wake.

Click here or "view gallery" to see the Typhoon Haiyan in pictures

Based on satellite images meteorologists have said the super-typhoon could be the most powerful storm ever to make landfall.

The category-5 super typhoon is currently sweeping through the Philippines powered by fearsome winds and forcing thousands to flee to safer ground.

Forecasters have warned of potentially catastrophic damage in a region already struggling to recover from an earthquake.

At least four people have already died in the storm which has an estimated 25 million people in its path.

The initial estimated wind speeds for landfall of 149mph are 24mph stronger than those of Hurricane Katrina - one of the deadliest storms in history which killed an estimated 1,833 people and caused billions of dollars worth of damage.

It's snowing here, too.

First frost that I have seen on Thursday morning at 0600. It was just on some of car roofs.
Next week has the first days when it is not forecast to get above 10C.
Last year we had 20mm or so of snow in January.

There's a Midwest Tornado Outbreak Underway

A very rare November tornado outbreak is currently underway through the Midwest. Several tornadoes have already done damage, and heavy rain and strong winds are pounding Chicago.
http://www.wunderground.com/

Still quite warm here, above 10C most days.
It is also fairly dry which is unusual if it is this warm at this time of year.
No ground frosts yet where I live next to the sea but last week there was a ground frost at work which is 2o mile north and inland.

It is warm, Silurian.

Which coast are you on?

On the east coast, here, we had some interesting winds and storm surges throw quite a lot of debris and sand onto the prom.

Top Bottom