Theater of War

Hi;

I will play with Lanzelot,
and i will take a scientific / industrious civ ... so as we'll play a NO Unique Unit game,
i can take Persian or Ottoman that have the same characteristics.

We have to discuss about one point (that could be a rule), that could really have a major impact on that game : coastal blocking.

Each island have 24 coastal tiles.
So it is possible to block all those tiles to prevent from a landing attack.
24 tilesand probably less with the cities...
It means around 20 tiles.
If you block those 20 tiles before someone has mapmaking (=> galleys, 1rst transport unit), you will be safe until marines....... and i don't think that the way we want to play.... blocking coast, then developp to tech the faster until marines....

But in other way, we can decide about a rule forbiding costal blocking....
But that could be really boring if an ennemy take a foot on a mountain :mad:

So, i propose 2 solutions :

1- play with all unique units, available to all civ (that means that every one would be able to attack with amphibious unit like berserkers)

2- just add an amphibious unit too all civilisation, and make that unit available not too late in the game...

I'm going to handle each post here separately, sorry for all the extra reading

Coastal blocking is bad, its not cheating but I do not know any players that like doing it. I wouldn't do it
But these islands are laid out to be vulnerable, notice the outer perimeter is hills, this gives as assault an advantage over units arriving to defend the area.

Because of this fact, we can not dissallow units on your hills/Mountains. Maybe we can allow every other hill to be defended. This allows the assault and due to the distance a boat travels verses a spear or horse you will still be able to assault.

No uniquic units just use your civs traits

I agree to your point, but that would eliminate my advantage of taking the Vikings. ;)

So let's add the berserks as everybodies amphibious unit.

I would switch my choice of civ to Byzantines, if all seafarings civs get a coastal start. Otherwise I have to switch civs again.
If the Marine is the first available amphibious unit available to a game without unique units I doubt we will see them.
As the Vikings you just need to decide to start inland or coastal

All players have the choice of starting or moving thier settler

I like the idea of adding the Berserker for everyone! :goodjob:

Question is: will it trigger the GA? I vote that it shouldn't. (After all, we have "no unique units".)
I do not know if GAs will occur for specific units, I know that they will occur for obvious reasons.

All I can say for sure is that everyone has excatly the same units available to them.

I'll vote for no unique units, including berserkers.
I also propose we could have a rule stating that you have to keep minimum two tiles on each of the four coasts unoccupied. That will prevent effective coastal-blocking and at the same time you could prevent enemies from landing on a mountain.
And of course you should be allowed to protect your workers.

This is a good idea and believe a vote using the majority for 2 0r 3 tiles unblocked.

Before we vote, take notice that your "Iron", "Saltpeter" etc. is on these hills and mountains and on any game these would be defended when enenies are present.
and this should be a factor in this decision

OK so we need match up the last few teams (consider yours and your teammates starting techs for greatest coverage)

And introduce the battle reports, these should be person to person instead of all can see.
When someone engages another player a third party might take interest, greatly reducing survivability. So instead attack this player and report this to your team and to the defender.

If you choose to announce a war, rest assure your units have departed and you become a target. so silence is a bit better option.

Then post the GPS

One unblocked per coast would be the best way to do it, that way it gives civs on the outside less of an advantage.

Funny timing by the way soul warrior, I was going to ask if you could be on my team so that we start with 4 techs.

Natuland just sent me an email saying that he will play if needed but would rather not.

With that note we could find 2 other players or set a moderater difficulty level to 2 AIs and give them "Most aggressive" charateristics, I would link them as a team.

ps if your team mate wins this challenge, both of you win

Can I participate here? Never tried PBEM but map looks tempting.

Can I be Iroquois? When approximately game starts?

And introduce the battle reports, these should be person to person instead of all can see.
When someone engages another player a third party might take interest, greatly reducing survivability. So instead attack this player and report this to your team and to the defender.

If you choose to announce a war, rest assure your units have departed and you become a target. so silence is a bit better option.

Then post the GPS

I guess the attacked player might be interested in notifying everyone about the attack. Maybe we should have a rule that you are only allowed to notify players that you have made contact with in the game.

Can I participate here? Never tried PBEM but map looks tempting.
Can I be Iroquois? When approximately game starts?
I see you have been around here a good bit. Are you a multiplayer veteran? This is a team game, you'll need a partner if you have one. if not the next to join can be him but that doesn't put you in a very strong position if your new to pbem and/or do not know your partner.

Do you assume your schedule is clear enough for long enough? Because deciding after it has began that this isn't what you thought it was or takes to long or is to slow, would hurt the game for everyone.

I guess the attacked player might be interested in notifying everyone about the attack. Maybe we should have a rule that you are only allowed to notify players that you have made contact with in the game.
Yes of coarse I assume this to be a standard practice, you can not contact anyone you haven't meet in the game.
When attacks occur, a battle report is given to the attacked and CC your team player so he is aware.

On the subject of attacks, at some point players will be eliminated or they quit for what ever reason,
if during the game someone abandons the game and it is not able to continue, a team must be declared a winner either by score or by a whole of thier achievements like holding more area for the longest duration but lagging behind a few points.

Knutis --Chinese
Bowsling --Germany
are unmatched at this point,

use this time to discuss your civ choices, consider a game plan, it is not to late to change.
Since the Biq is available you could play some turns to get the feel of it while we wait to begin.

I see you have been around here a good bit. Are you a multiplayer veteran? This is a team game, you'll need a partner if you have one. if not the next to join can be him but that doesn't put you in a very strong position if your new to pbem and/or do not know your partner.

Do you assume your schedule is clear enough for long enough? Because deciding after it has began that this isn't what you thought it was or takes to long or is to slow, would hurt the game for everyone.
Knutis offer me to be a team mate and I have accepted. My schedule clean until mid December, I mean I could be on line most of the time. I played SGTOMs as a team leader and we quit only 1 game out of 14.

I'll vote for no unique units, including berserkers.
I also propose we could have a rule stating that you have to keep minimum two tiles on each of the four coasts unoccupied. That will prevent effective coastal-blocking and at the same time you could prevent enemies from landing on a mountain.

Someone could still play like this: make a road around your island. Block the coast with horsemen, but leave the agreed x number of tiles free. When an enemy boat appears, just move your horsemen around and block those tiles that the boat can reach next turn, while leaving the other tiles free...
In this case you would be playing "by the rule" (at each point in time there's always the agreed number of tiles free...), but you would still effectively block any invasion... :D

I think we can't eliminate this exploit "by making a rule". We need an amphibious unit.

However, it doesn't need to be the Berserker. How about making the standard Medieval Infantry amphibious, just like in the "Age of Discovery" scenario?

Lanzelot

I also vote for amphibious unit. LB with 5-6 attack strength may be better. Otherwise Feudalism will be unbalanced. Better to remove 2 tiles rule at all. It is hard to control if not all perimeter visible.
2 questions: 1) what the map size for corruption formula?
2) what tech cost formula? Half of Regent? (AP)

Knutis offer me to be a team mate and I have accepted. My schedule clean until mid December, I mean I could be on line most of the time. I played SGTOMs as a team leader and we quit only 1 game out of 14.
Greeting everyone:)

@ I. Larkin
Excellent Welcome!!!
I knew you were doing something here 2K posts :)
please discuss your civ

@ Lanzelot
Blocking, I'm sure a rant in-game about a certain island using unfair means of blocking will bring them a good bit of future attention. I think if someone is determined enough to invade someone's island, they will get in.

@ All
When I first opened this game and started this thread, I included a note that read that the ARMY which needs 4 cities to support was reduced to 2 cities, I must have removed the note.
if I have this right that means each island can support 2 armies. I looked at the editor just now considering amphibious units and thought since this is a war loaded scenario I added amphibious to the army, which complements the nature of the game (get there and get one before blocking becomes a issue (a warrior army LoL). But because this doesn't solve the blocking issue I decided to add Fatal bombardment to the Galley. This does not eliminate blocking but it gives more of a chance to make landfall. Also these speed the game into a Theater of War hopefully giving it a higher impact and a short life.

@ I. Larkin
notice the mini map on picture 2 in post 2, the map is real small with x-wrapping. the map itself is on post 1
a short test run showed no corruption I assume standard measurement would be used due to not having a map attached to the core of this scenario. I believe only the no unique unit aspect was the only change here.
What is LB?
As for a cost formula I am not sure, having no AIs in the game I hadn't considered the Difficulty level

Top Bottom