TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean for the 18k-piece puzzle, just for the 39" 1500-piece one.
I still can't think of anywhere that I've got 39 inches of free floor space that isn't required for walking in.

Shopping around pays. I found some for just under a hundred, and a pretty good selection at under one twenty.

However, two meters by three meters is the approximate size, so, yeah, tables are out. Definitely a floor project.
Keep in mind the difference between the Canadian dollar and the American dollar. The prices on the website I was looking at (the Canadian Herrschners site) are probably a lot less on the American website.

The only room in my apartment that would be big enough for a project like that would be the living room, which is currently occupied by various things that can't really be moved since there's nowhere else to put them.

Today I learned that some idiots think that 18,000-piece jigsaw puzzles are a good thing.

They're also expensive, at over $200.

And considering that I just had to delete a really gorgeous 39" 1500-piece jigsaw puzzle from my wish list (the largest table I have is barely 35"), I can't imagine how much room an 18,000-piece puzzle would take up.

Glue and a wall or two?

TIL that GHB seems to be much more addictive than originally thought (from a Dutch documentary).
https://www.npo3.nl/tygo-in-de-ghb/VPWON_1290745
(in Dutch ofc :sad:)
Normally I am not that bothered about all kinds of party drugs, but I thought that in this case sharing the danger of this rather innocent appearing drug is right.
From what I understand from that documentary.
It is very ease to make yourself at home from simple ingredients and very cheap. An OD is also "easy".
Statistics on actual use difficult because there is no trading business involved. There is no money to earn from it. The poor man's party drug mostly used at home. Feeling a kind of groovy drunk without the alcohol side effects.
In a small 9,000 inhabitants rural village in South NL 16% of all drug incidents from GHB and growing. Often combined with speed.

GHB stands for Gamma HydroxyButyrate (C4H8O3)
From an link in English:
Common or street names in English: Liquid X, Liquid ecstasy, Georgia home boy, Oop, Gamma-oh, Grievous bodily harm, Mils, G, Liquid G, Fantasy.
GHB or Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (C4H8O3) is a central nervous system (CNS) depressant that is commonly referred to as a “club drug” or “date rape” drug. GHB is abused by teens and young adults at bars, parties, clubs and “raves” (all night dance parties), and is often placed in alcoholic beverages. Euphoria, increased sex drive, and tranquility are reported positive effects of GHB abuse. Negative effects may include sweating, loss of consciousness, nausea, hallucinations, amnesia, and coma, among other side effects.
https://www.drugs.com/illicit/ghb.html

Better to use other party drugs.

Glue and a wall or two?
Unfortunately, I'd need something to glue it to before putting it on the wall. A nice big piece of cardboard would do... if I knew someone who had one big enough and didn't want it anymore. I do have a patch of blank wall space that could use a picture or two, but I'd had some idea of having the rest of my grandmother's paintings framed and hung. During one of my rounds of unpacking stuff that had been in storage I discovered three paintings she did that I hadn't ever known about. I've got all the rest of them hung on the walls, but these three don't have frames.

Added point...of all the drugs to have on your person when you get caught by cops, GHB is the worst. You might as well just have "rapist" tattooed across your forehead.

TIL Dexter Gordon was Lars Ulrich's godfather.

Yesterday I learned about code talkers. Code talkers are people who use little known languages to transmit secret messages that only another speaker of the language could translate. The American military used Native Americans in WWI and WWII to relay tactical messages to their solders in the field.

The Navajo in WWII were used extensively in the Pacific theater because their language is very complex. They have a tonal language so the same word can have different meanings depending on the way it is said. They also talked in code to make it even harder to break. They would take an English word, break it up into other English words that when combined would sound similar to the original. So for example "dispatch" would become "dog is patch" and when you translate that into Navajo "dog is patch" doesn't sound anything like the original "dispatch". They also had to make up words and phrases because the Navajo language didn't have words for things like bombardment or submarine.

In addition to being very hard to break, a big advantage of using code talkers is that it was a lot faster than other methods of sending encrypted messages at the time. Traditional encrypted messages had to be decrypted by a machine which depending on the length of the message could take minutes or hours. Code talkers could translate on the fly making communication much faster.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245562/

Windtalkers is a very good movie about that.

The podcast that I was listening to actually mentioned that film, although they didn't say it was very good. In fact the opposite. I haven't seen it myself so I don't really know but Nic Cage films are generally entertaining on some level.

The movie treated the topic with respect and Cage was Cage. I found it entertaining enough. But yes, not Academy Award material.

Today I learned that some idiots think that 18,000-piece jigsaw puzzles are a good thing.

They're also expensive, at over $200.

And considering that I just had to delete a really gorgeous 39" 1500-piece jigsaw puzzle from my wish list (the largest table I have is barely 35"), I can't imagine how much room an 18,000-piece puzzle would take up.

Imagine nearly completing that 18,000-piece puzzle only to find the last piece was missing.

Yesterday I learned about code talkers. Code talkers are people who use little known languages to transmit secret messages that only another speaker of the language could translate. The American military used Native Americans in WWI and WWII to relay tactical messages to their solders in the field.

The Navajo in WWII were used extensively in the Pacific theater because their language is very complex. They have a tonal language so the same word can have different meanings depending on the way it is said. They also talked in code to make it even harder to break. They would take an English word, break it up into other English words that when combined would sound similar to the original. So for example "dispatch" would become "dog is patch" and when you translate that into Navajo "dog is patch" doesn't sound anything like the original "dispatch". They also had to make up words and phrases because the Navajo language didn't have words for things like bombardment or submarine.

In addition to being very hard to break, a big advantage of using code talkers is that it was a lot faster than other methods of sending encrypted messages at the time. Traditional encrypted messages had to be decrypted by a machine which depending on the length of the message could take minutes or hours. Code talkers could translate on the fly making communication much faster.

From what I remember, there was also another layer in the WW2 Navajo codes in that commonly used English words, particularly military terms, were represented by multiple different words/phrases in the code and the codetalkers would just pick one at random. That way even if the Japanese had realised that a particular bit of Navajo corresponded to, say, "fighter plane", they would still only pick up on 1-in-4 references to fighter planes.

Pangaea was only the most recent clustering of the continents into one supercontinent, following Pannotia approximately 600 Million years ago, Rodinia 1 Billion years ago, and Columbia 1.5-2.5 Billion years ago.

And there may have been others.

Pangaea was only the most recent clustering of the continents into one supercontinent, following Pannotia approximately 600 Million years ago, Rodinia 1 Billion years ago, and Columbia 1.5-2.5 Billion years ago.

Really? I'd surely question any suggested arrangement of land masses going back 1 billion years or more.

:eek: I didn't know that!

If I was still single I'd be working on the 42,000 piece Around the world puzzle....but I'm not sure I ever lived at a place with a big enough room for it....

Assembled puzzle measures approximately 6.8 x 1.92 meters.

I have the room now in our living room/dining room....If I get rid of our sectional, and our dining room table......get rid of the kids who will be stomping all over it and kicking pieces under the fridge.....

Of course, the largest puzzle of 551,232 pieces had 1600 people help build it and it had already been split up into over 3000 sections before being combined together, so I think that's cheating.

Imagine nearly completing that 18,000-piece puzzle only to find the last piece was missing.

I can't see it, but there is supposedly one piece missing from this woman's 18,000 piece puzzle she spent a year to complete.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-sp...puzzle-theres-one-tiny-problem-091556514.html

Edit: Ok, now I see it, it's not above her shoulder as the article states, but a foot or so above her wrist, on the temple. Apparently her one year old ate the piece.

Last edited:
TIL that GHB seems to be much more addictive than originally thought (from a Dutch documentary).
https://www.npo3.nl/tygo-in-de-ghb/VPWON_1290745
(in Dutch ofc :sad:)
Normally I am not that bothered about all kinds of party drugs, but I thought that in this case sharing the danger of this rather innocent appearing drug is right.
From what I understand from that documentary.
It is very ease to make yourself at home from simple ingredients and very cheap. An OD is also "easy".
Statistics on actual use difficult because there is no trading business involved. There is no money to earn from it. The poor man's party drug mostly used at home. Feeling a kind of groovy drunk without the alcohol side effects.
In a small 9,000 inhabitants rural village in South NL 16% of all drug incidents from GHB and growing. Often combined with speed.

GHB stands for Gamma HydroxyButyrate (C4H8O3)
From an link in English:
Common or street names in English: Liquid X, Liquid ecstasy, Georgia home boy, Oop, Gamma-oh, Grievous bodily harm, Mils, G, Liquid G, Fantasy.

Better to use other party drugs.
Yeah, Gab (why isnt the simple "Gab" one of the street names? Maybe just Norwegian?) is very addictive and, well, I am surprised that this is a "surprise". Was my first experience of true addicts, holding on to it and always needing it.

In my experience, as long as you keep the dosage to doing "corks", filling a cork from a soda bottle, anyone doing to much will just have a good sleep (not mentioning here the usage of it as a date-rape drug, it's basically the quintessential date-rape drug). The worry is in a party situation someone might take a bottle of it to be water and take way too much. It's generally tasteless with maybe a slight salty chemical taste. It simply looks like a water-bottle and this is possibly the greatest danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom