TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, mine haven't been glass for a long as i can remember.

But then I"m old so I don't remember so well. :lol:

One of the main standards for wifi is 14 channels at about 2.4GHz.

Guess what frequency water is particularly good at absorbing in your microwave oven.

It wasn't the frequency that was puzzling, it was the use of WiFi devices under water. I'd heard that dropping the phone in the toilet had become a common accident, but I didn't know that people tried to use them without fishing it out first.

TIL; if you leave a computer alone with a set of headphones on the F1 key for 2 hours, when you try to use it, it will be in the process of trying to launch 714,653,942 instances of windows help center.......it's not very responsive when doing that.......

You're lucky there's a reset button.

TIL; if you leave a computer alone with a set of headphones on the F1 key for 2 hours, when you try to use it, it will be in the process of trying to launch 714,653,942 instances of windows help center.......it's not very responsive when doing that.......
Did you need the fire department?

TIL anti-immigrant politics are based on lies:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...nts-dont-always-match-what-the-headlines-say?

Twenty public health researchers from 13 countries worked on the project for two years, reviewing nearly 300 studies, primarily from this decade but going back as far as 1994. Populist leaders, they say, have painted a picture of migration today as primarily hordes of destitute people flooding into rich countries, carrying diseases and sucking up resources. The truth, they say, is far different.

Did you need the fire department?
I gotta admit, there have been quite a few times where i would have loved to see the innards of that machine get blasted by a high-pressure water hose, or smashed into little pieces with a fire-axe....

I glanced at the papers and just told the pharmacist that I've been getting flu shots for many years, never had any really bad reactions - just the usual few days of soreness and fatigue, no egg allergies, and let's please just get it over with. The pharmacist this year was so good at it that I didn't feel any pain at all when he gave me the shot.

I had to laugh, though; at clinics they want you to sit for 15 minutes to make sure that if you have a bad reaction (like fainting), you're going to do it there instead of in the car. What they told me at the pharmacy (located in the local Walmart) was, "Don't leave the store for 15-20 minutes". I guess they weren't too concerned that somebody over in the pet department or the housewares department might have to pick me up off the floor, when there was a perfectly good vacant bench right outside the pharmacy... :shake:

I'm glad I got it done, though. There have been a lot of people hospitalized and one person in Calgary (where most of the cases have been so far) has died.
TIL Walmart is a thing in Canada.

It has been for many years, and yes, it's caused the same problems here that it has in the U.S. where it pushes out smaller stores. We have two Walmarts here, one in the north end of town (not too far from where I live) and one in the south end of town.

But I don't really have a lot of options here for shopping, whether in terms of location or price or convenience (convenience being relative, since suddenly their system refused to cooperate when I tried to change my password and now I have to do online orders as a "guest" - also, their telephone customer "service" is nonexistent because all menu options lead to "log into your account" - which is what I can't do in the first place!).

I know what the lack of shopping options is like and can sympathize. And Walmart wouldn't be nearly so detrimental to the overall economy if they would just return a larger slice of their obscene profits to their workforce. It's something they could do without hurting the bottom line of anyone but the owners but greed is enormously powerful.

They bought out the last of Woolco(except the downtown stores, those ones just closed, like the one in my city, that had no parking of it's own. Took them like 20 years to find a new tenant...)

Last edited:
Some of my earliest memories were in that store......closed when i was like 3 or 4......

TIL I learned Canada used to have Woolco.

I remember when Woolco came to town. It was one of the anchor stores of the new mall, in the spring of 1971 (at that time it was the only mall we had). This was such an event that when my great-aunt and uncle came to visit from BC, that's one of the places they wanted to see.

On November 28, 1975 I was shopping at Woolco with my mother, and bought the two books that would become the foundation of my now-numbering-in-the-thousands science fiction library: Star Trek 4 and Star Trek 6, by James Blish, costing a whopping 95 cents each (a lot of money for me in those days).

That's also where I bought the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey (in LP form). The other side had the soundtrack to Star Wars, and I recall my mother being appalled that I'd "waste" the Christmas money from my great-grandmother on that (as I recall, the price was $4.87).

I still have the books and the record, although my record player fell victim to the mold situation in the suite I lived in nearly two years ago.

Today I learned that in Chrome-based browsers (I use Vivaldi), the chrome://discards tab lets you manage tab discarding. You can set specific tabs to not get discarded, which is useful.

Last edited:
TIL: The Catholic Church has a feast day for the United States of America. It's today!

Technically, it's the feast of Mary of the Immaculate Conception, as patron of the United States, so

TIaL: Mary is the patron saint of the United States.

They are over quite some part of the globe.
TIL: The Catholic Church has a feast day for the United States of America. It's today!

Technically, it's the feast of Mary of the Immaculate Conception, as patron of the United States, so

TIaL: Mary is the patron saint of the United States.
I was at Mass today and nobody even mentioned the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom