TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that the word "Wales" (in UK) and the word "walnut" could be very much related.
But the etymology of words is often veiled in the mists of time.

In that first article below the explanation is that Wales would mean the "land of foreigners" because the Germanic tribes, the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, that invaded Britain called the existing people foreigners.
And "walnuts" would be those "foreign" nuts originally from France and Italy :)

http://www.old-engli.sh/trivia.php?ID=Wales

On a side note, digging a bit:
Perhaps the word Wales was originally from the "land of Bale or Vale" as they described their own land. And this word Bale-Vale transformed to Wales, helped by the similar Germanic word meaning foreigner.
http://www.britam.org/WalesName.html

Last edited:
I'm going to take this time to advance the idea that those ******* suburban moms who claim Big Pharma gave their kids autism like they're (the parents are) bearing some kind of terrible burden are horrible ableist parents directly reproducing some of the same ideas that led Nazi Germany to euthanize the disabled.

True. Likewise if someone breaks into their homes and chops their kid's legs off and they have the temerity to complain about it, they're also being horribly ableist. #NoLegsStillHuman #NoToAbleism

TIL you can died and play as your decedent in a sand box game.

Mount and Blade 3: Bannerlord. Just learn this feature, I was quite pessimistic about the game, but this information fixes me, seems worth the waiting time, it is really sound like an amazing sequel :eek:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/26...uvnRFUygT_7QzgkS3ekOomAHYaIMZ8qQnOsEMAmMXpFno

In Bannerlord, the player can die because of old age. At first, the player gets sick. Then the player’s hitpoints start to reduce daily. After a certain time, death occurs. During the decline of their health, the player can arrange his/her final wishes then, when the death occurs, the player selects an heir from one of his/her clan members that are suitable and mature. Then, the cycle continues. This process also applies by AI lords too.

Also, every mature hero can die on the battlefield (but this is optional for the player)

How can you tell? :D

I think they want to introduced perma death into the sequel; character (player or AI) get old then passed away, heroes (allies or enemies) possibly death during battles, etc, the problem the game world also must possessed a system that able to support the feature, the show must go on, hence the player or AI will get spouse and have children, children will grow and replaced their father (the oldest one by default inherit the fief perhaps) and they will also get spouse and have children and the cycle continue.

That's an ambitious project, I like their spirit, I just hope they are able to measure their team capability on carrying such project.

We're all going to be dead of old age by the time Bannerlord comes out. Too bad that feature doesn't work IRL. At least our children might get to play it.

I laugh so hard at this, I want some glimpse of hope from Bannerlord, I really like Warband. But Taleworlds's exclusivity and sluggish's project disappoints me. I mean just release the game already I remember the time when they release warband the game almost unplayable in the beginning, at least burned the bridge first, do something about it.

Last edited:
Imo the ideological roots of racism are to be found at the shift in the way Europeans viewed humanity: from the spiritual unity of Christianity to the 'modern' view of man as just another animal. The context for this was the discovery of the Americas, with people who lived in ways so radically different from what Europeans were familiar with that Adamism, the monogenesis of humankind, came into question and was ultimately discarded. And at around that point you begin to see a search for a way to make sense of these people and one of the earliest explanations, which has never fully died, was of course that the "primitives" represented an intermediate step between men and beasts.

In the United States black people were explicitly regarded sort of as animals who could talk. You can read Jefferson basically denying that they experience any higher mental functions: just lust rather than romantic love for example, and that's actually a rather enlightened view for the time.

And at around that point you begin to see a search for a way to make sense of these people justify genocide and land theft

FTFY :)

TIL you can died and play as your decedent in a sand box game.

Mount and Blade 3: Bannerlord. Just learn this feature, I was quite pessimistic about the game, but this information fixes me, seems worth the waiting time, it is really sound like an amazing sequel :eek:

We're all going to be dead of old age by the time Bannerlord comes out. Too bad that feature doesn't work IRL. At least our children might get to play it.

Release date 2016, never forget.

^All the restaurants are Taco Bell after the restaurant wars.

Reactions: rah
Chm sounds like you're choking on phlegm.

That's Gaelic, not English. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom