TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
YIL that i am no longer disgusted by lentil soup.
I still don't find it tasty, but i hadn't eaten it since elementary school - and back then i considered it to be emetic.

Would that not also depend on the color of the lentils :crazyeye:

YIL that i am no longer disgusted by lentil soup.
I still don't find it tasty, but i hadn't eaten it since elementary school - and back then i considered it to be emetic.
Lentil soup and good bread make a wonderful combination.

TIL some turtles can breathe water through their butts.
Some turtles, especially those specialized in diving, are highly reliant on cloacal respiration during dives.[19] They accomplish this by having a pair of accessory air bladders connected to the cloaca which can absorb oxygen from the water.[20] Various fish, as well as polychaete worms and even crabs, are specialized to take advantage of the constant flow of water through the cloacal respiratory tree of sea cucumbers while simultaneously gaining the protection of living within the sea cucumber itself. At night, many of these species emerge from the anus of the sea cucumber in search of food.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca

Last edited:
TIL: In 1980 if you created 25 new jobs you would add $1M to the GDP. To add that same $1M today it takes 3.5 workers (constant dollars).

Blame Jimmy Carter and inflation, Bj.

+1 to hobbs' post. There might be more mysteries to solve on this tiny little rock than in the lifeless planets out there.

Blame Jimmy Carter and inflation, Bj.
You missed the point. Economic growth is what makes us richer as a nation (and yes, it is not spread evenly) but in the past we did that by creating jobs faster than our population grew. Now growing the US economy does not require significant job growth. A couple of things are happening: Fewer human workers are needed and we are not training people in the new skills they will need to be useful workers in the future. The unemployed and underemployed will grow. There are about 260,000 robots working in North American factories and that is growing about 10% a year. They are not counted as part of the workforce. On top of that our phones and computers are doing things that people used to do for us and get paid to do it. The long time US policy of striving for full employment as a way to fuel economic growth will have to change.

I know *that*, I wasn't unnecessarily forced to take three semesters of economics in vain, y'know.

I was being sarcastic.

oh....

Yeah, I've been reading old issues of MAD magazine from the early '80s. :D

Yeah, I've been reading old issues of MAD magazine from the early '80s. :D
The ones from the 60s were better: Spy vs Spy, Don Martin's work, I grew up on those. :)

I have some of the books (Don Martin bounces back!, Brothers Mad, etc.) stacked around the place.

So I am not sure that I can say I grew up, except for that thing I'm doing where I do things that get me paid instead of playing videogames.

There are about 260,000 robots working in North American factories and that is growing about 10% a year.
On the roughly 150 million people engaged in labor in the US, that 260,000 is still a fraction, but indeed the consequences in our coming decades are announcing themselves if you see it.
It will also influence international trade: when developed countries get more robotised, they do not need to import anymore cheap labor in products from cheap labor countries to increase the efficiency of their economy and the buying power of their people. => the fast track for poorer countries to catch up with the developed countries will diminish in importance over the coming decades.

Fewer human workers are needed and we are not training people in the new skills they will need to be useful workers in the future.
In the current "system" there is no clear pay back pathway for a higher level of general invests in human workers by updating their education/traing while they are working. No good enough allignment between the paying and benefitting parties that realises high enough "education permanente" (it comes mostly down to individual actions). No good enough insight in the new skill sets needed. Not enough sense of urgency that the effective window of learning starts to disappear after people are 40 years old. Most young people happy to harvest their educational advantage in consumerism the first period of working instead of spending 1-2 evenings per week taking courses (which also helps to extend your effective learning window).
I see many ways possible to tackle this from societal initiatives, but those depend very much on the country culture, including the desire of that culture to mitigate/prevent the income group divide effect of AI.
A hire and fire culture, a job hopping culture not helpful.

The original budget projected for Waterworld was $3 million. The studio rejected it, saying the cost would be closer to $5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom