TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that there's an "extremely shoddy" according to tvtropes "pilot" (20 minutes, only prologue) for a Wheel of Time adaption, aired in the middle of the night three days before the rights expired.
It's not good, but not as horrible as I expected, even if it looks like it was made in 1995 and not 2015.
They actually did a pretty good job adapting the stilted and hammy dialogue, but the shoestring budget is painfully obvious in a "the special effects would have been affordable for a TV show in 1995" sense.

TIL that extra-terrestrial "colonisation" by our Earth may have started already:

Schermopname (31).png

https://www.theguardian.com/science...may-have-survived-spacecraft-crashing-on-moon

The article itself refutes your claim. The tardigrades aren't going to colonize anything. Also, I doubt that a lander on a unknown exoplanet would carry them at all.

The scariest thing would be to find out some alien ruins somewhere. It would mean only that we have a "great filter" ahead of us and very likely to be extinct before we can breach it.

The article itself refutes your claim. The tardigrades aren't going to colonize anything. Also, I doubt that a lander on a unknown exoplanet would carry them at all.
The one thing we can be sure that the Tardigrades won't find on the moon, is your sense of humor. :p

TIL that there's an "extremely shoddy" according to tvtropes "pilot" (20 minutes, only prologue) for a Wheel of Time adaption, aired in the middle of the night three days before the rights expired.
It's not good, but not as horrible as I expected, even if it looks like it was made in 1995 and not 2015.
They actually did a pretty good job adapting the stilted and hammy dialogue, but the shoestring budget is painfully obvious in a "the special effects would have been affordable for a TV show in 1995" sense.

I like that better than the book prologue.

Not tardigrades but fungal and bacterial spores. Even our best decontamination procedures do not achieve 100% sterilization.

I like that better than the book prologue.

I liked "most" of it, but Lews Therin and his wife did't look right and I expected at least a Command&Conquer Ion Cannon strike at the end.

Mean-spirited fellow, aren't you?

It's a weird thing for an observer with no stake in the matter to say. That's all.

Fun fact: humans are pests on the planet Zorkair 8 and accidentally hitched a ride when the Zorks launched a recon space probe to earth.

TIL that El Paso, Texas is 80% Latino, and that El Paso and Juarez, Mexico are essentially a single metropolitan area, like Boston-Cambridge, San Francisco-Oakland, or Minneapolis-St. Paul.

TIL that El Paso, Texas is 80% Latino, and that El Paso and Juarez, Mexico are essentially a single metropolitan area, like Boston-Cambridge, San Francisco-Oakland, or Minneapolis-St. Paul.

And it's amazing because the "border" is a government intrusion on the self-organizing society that conservatives constantly like to claim is so sacred.

And it's amazing because the "border" is a government intrusion on the self-organizing society that conservatives constantly like to claim is so sacred.
I might like to visit sometime, if only because the Mexican food around here is... um... well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom