TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that a group of hogs is called a sounder. Also, if you need to shoot a feral pig, Texas Parks and Wildlife recommends something .243 (6mm) or heavier.

Americanized generic?
There's a couple decent burrito places.

TIL that Juarez, Mexico might be the birthplace of the burrito, and "burrito" means "little donkey", the diminutive form of burro.

TIL that a group of hogs is called a sounder. Also, if you need to shoot a feral pig, Texas Parks and Wildlife recommends something .243 (6mm) or heavier.
The Missouri Department of Conservation advises against shooting them at all, because the rest of the sounder will scatter and be warier next time. Instead they use remotely dropped cages hanging from trees above bait to catch whole sounders at once, and then kill them.

Meat any good?

Which, an AR-15 is a .223 (5.56mm). Gun nuts sometimes claim they need an AR-15 in case their children are being chased by a sounder of pigs. And that isn't even a heavy enough gun to count on killing one with less than several hits, or point blank range.

There's a couple decent burrito places.

TIL that Juarez, Mexico might be the birthplace of the burrito, and "burrito" means "little donkey", the diminutive form of burro.

There's a lot of places that have a small number of tiny ethnic places that are run by immigrants and are more authentic. But they cater mostly to the immigrant community from those places. You could probably hunt up a few in your area.

There's a lot of places that have a small number of tiny ethnic places that are run by immigrants and are more authentic. But they cater mostly to the immigrant community from those places. You could probably hunt up a few in your area.
Yeah, I love those places, but there isn't much of a Mexican community here.

Which, an AR-15 is a .223 (5.56mm). Gun nuts sometimes claim they need an AR-15 in case their children are being chased by a sounder of pigs. And that isn't even a heavy enough gun to count on killing one with less than several hits, or point blank range.

Here is why I suspect this argument is actually wrong:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...land-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

In a typical handgun injury, which I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ such as the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, gray bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments.

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the mass-shooting victims from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, and was bleeding extensively. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?

The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, and found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, a semiautomatic rifle that delivers a devastatingly lethal, high-velocity bullet to the victim. Nothing was left to repair—and utterly, devastatingly, nothing could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal.

Not that I think the gun nut argument that they need automatic rifles to deal with pigs is, you know, remotely sane, but an AR-15 could absolutely mow down a bunch of pigs.

Maybe they have enough fat and muscle mass to protect their organs (queue a joke about fat Americans)? But yeah, guns like the AR 15 have rounds designed to mushroom and shred people's insides to incapacitate people on the battlefield in a way that non-hollow point rounds won't. If you're fighting someone and the bullet passes cleanly through them, they might keep on fighting. But if you shoot someone and the bullet dumps all of its energy into the tissue instead of passing through, they're going down.

TIL that extra-terrestrial "colonisation" by our Earth may have started already:

View attachment 531472

https://www.theguardian.com/science...may-have-survived-spacecraft-crashing-on-moon

:wallbash: oh god, so stupid :wallbash:.
Good that it was not a valuable planet like Europa or Titan.

The article itself refutes your claim. The tardigrades aren't going to colonize anything. Also, I doubt that a lander on a unknown exoplanet would carry them at all.

On average you will not have any tardigrades on your extraterrestrial probes.
But as hobbs pointed out, there might be bacteria and fungi. They are already trying to sterilize the probes as much as possible, but you'll still have a full microbiome in there. Cleanrooms and the ISS are regularly sampled, and they always find stuff.
There also has recently an experiment been brought back to earth, where they had a bunch of containers (?) with microbes outside of the ISS. I'll be interested to see what the outcome of that is.
The JPL had steered one of the recent probes around Saturn (I think...or was it Jupiter? Have it in my PhD thesis, but too lazy to look) into Saturn, because they feared it could accidentially contaminate a moon, if left there without any control.
So... it is a real issue.

Well the ISS is not a sterile environment so it's not surprising they find stuff on it when they look. They have to do a lot to keep fungus from taking over as it's a bit like a locker room (and smells as such). What is worrying is that it appears bacteria and viruses mutate into more virulent forms on the ISS, it's postulated this is a natural response to the 0 g environment. It's worrying nonetheless.

Here is why I suspect this argument is actually wrong:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...land-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

Not that I think the gun nut argument that they need automatic rifles to deal with pigs is, you know, remotely sane, but an AR-15 could absolutely mow down a bunch of pigs.
The reason a larger caliber was recommend is because wild pigs have a tough hide. I think stopping power and penetration are two different qualities.

TIL how devastating AR-15s are. Holy crap.
Right, I think the 5.56mm rifles hold up on the battlefield in head-to-head fights against the 7.62mm rifles, and it's because of the muzzle velocity. The muzzle velocity of an M16 is 900 meters per second, while the muzzle velocity of the AK47 is 715 meters per second. The heavier round of the 7.62 would be harder to deflect, but once it hits a soft target, such as a person, it's the round's kinetic energy that transfers to our watery interiors; since water doesn't compress, it puts pressure on whatever is containing it - like our organs. When calculating kinetic energy, velocity has more *ahem* impact than mass. Longer-barreled firearms also produce higher muzzle velocities, because they contain the explosion longer and focus it more, accelerating the projectile longer.

The JPL had steered one of the recent probes around Saturn (I think...or was it Jupiter? Have it in my PhD thesis, but too lazy to look) into Saturn, because they feared it could accidentially contaminate a moon, if left there without any control.
So... it is a real issue.
PBS just had a documentary about this a couple of days ago. You're referring to Cassini, the probe that was sent to Saturn. They got an incredible amount of information, and discovered that conditions on the moon Enceladus are such that there could be life there (salt water ocean under the ice, and organic compounds).

When Cassini got very close to running out of fuel, JPL had to make a decision. As one of the scientists said, they hadn't bothered to sterilize the probe "because we didn't know we had to." So in order to make certain Cassini wouldn't crash into Enceladus or some other moon and contaminate it with Earth microbes (or just plain kill whatever life might be on Enceladus), they opted to make it crash into Saturn. As far as anyone can tell, Saturn doesn't have a rocky core, and they haven't (so far) found any indications of life in the atmosphere. So steering Cassini into Saturn was the safest option.

TIL that outdoor baby cages were popular in the 1920-30s amongst people living in space-starved apartments. Eleanor Roosevelt was criticised for using one. They fell out of use in the UK because of the Blitz.

TIL through you. This is fascinating. It's unthinkable to us now, but what other parenting choices from our time will be looked upon as barbaric in another 50 years.

In the time before air conditioning outdoor baby cages weren't barbarism, they were comfort.

TIL through you. This is fascinating. It's unthinkable to us now, but what other parenting choices from our time will be looked upon as barbaric in another 50 years.
Forget 50 years. I already consider some of them barbaric. There are some people who don't think kids should ever be unattended, anywhere, at any age. As in they consider a 12-year-old too young to walk to school by him/herself, and have actually called the cops to report kids they see walking along the sidewalk without a parent holding their hand.

Forget 50 years. I already consider some of them barbaric. There are some people who don't think kids should ever be unattended, anywhere, at any age. As in they consider a 12-year-old too young to walk to school by him/herself, and have actually called the cops to report kids they see walking along the sidewalk without a parent holding their hand.

When my parents went on holiday to Spain in the late 60s they left my brother and I (both under 6) whilst they went out for the night. When they got back reception called them over. We'd gone for a wander and were ensconced in the kitchens with the staff happily eating ice cream.

About 1957 my parents put my younger brother and I on an overnight train from Baltimore to Chicago. I was 9 and he was 7. No issues, no problems. It was exciting.

I remember my dad saying that one of his earliest memories was from when he was 3 and his sister was 10 (which would make that 1942). They left home together without telling their parents and took a trolley to a local movie theater on the other side of town, where they watched a triple feature three times in a row. Their mom did not seem to notice but when there dad got home to find them missing he panicked and started calling everyone he could think of and checking every trolley stop until a police officer found them and brought them home.

I remember my dad saying that one of his earliest memories was from when he was 3 and his sister was 10 (which would make that 1942). They left home together without telling their parents and took a trolley to a local movie theater on the other side of town, where they watched a triple feature three times in a row. Their mom did not seem to notice but when there dad got home to find them missing he panicked and started calling everyone he could think of and checking every trolley stop until a police officer found them and brought them home.
Movies were great when I was growing up. The shows ran continuously: movie, cartoons, news reels, repeat all day and evening. Pay once (tickets were $0.15) and stay all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom