TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm actually talking about fairly mundane stuff like the outback being wet and full of lakes, or the shoreline being near the present-day location of the Great Barrier reef.

I actually had a whole book (Legends of the Earth: Their Geologic Origins, by Dorothy Vitaliano) about geology as expressed in myths; one unambiguous example is the myths of the Klamath people in present-day Oregon which very clearly describe the collapse of ancient Mt. Mazama into the present-day Crater Lake.

Some sources for Australian stuff:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ancient-sea-rise-tale-told-accurately-for-10-000-years/
Ancient Sea Rise Tale Told Accurately for 10,000 Years
Aboriginal stories of lost islands match up with underwater finds in Australia

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/australia/7000-year-old-indigenous-story-proved-true.aspx
7,000 YEAR OLD INDIGENOUS STORY PROVED TRUE
The story has been passed down for 230 generations
They make for good reading. I wonder what will happen when Rincewind gets back…

The aborigines also perfected what I will call "free range agriculture" for lack of a better word, according to NPR, iirc. They could grow more crops in less space by simply observing and enhancing the natural flora presence, without plows or pesticides or land clearing. Meanwhile the colonists came in, clear cut everything, plowed everything, exhausted the soil, and couldn't farm anything after a while.

The aborigines also fired the bush in a way that regulated the landscape and prevented the type of fires Australia is seeing right now, but you know, they were primitive and couldn't reckon with HUMAN PROGRESS

Except we did it to ourselves :(

isn't National Day of Mourning your equivalent in which case it seems to be about a week later than our Remembrance Sunday?

Well, yeah "Volkstrauertag" exists and is tied to advent (the sunday 2 weeks from the first sunday in advent) - but it is not in any way shape or form a major event, plus of course atleast in terms of public displays of remembrance it is dwarfed by other days, also I guess because remembering the fallen is not something politicians of most stripes are comfortable with in public lest they be accused of approving of most of the wars those soldiers died in...

Well, yeah "Volkstrauertag" exists and is tied to advent (the sunday 2 weeks from the first sunday in advent) - but it is not in any way shape or form a major event, plus of course atleast in terms of public displays of remembrance it is dwarfed by other days, also I guess because remembering the fallen is not something politicians of most stripes are comfortable with in public lest they be accused of approving of most of the wars those soldiers died in...

At least WW1 put an end to the apparently massive 1870-71 war parades in Germany.

TIL that Google Street-viewed Venice by boat/Gondola and walking the ermmm....walkways!

Seems logical really, but I'd never considered it before.

EDIT: I'd sort of assumed that no cars = no Street View

Ever since Google photographed a disturbingly large surface of the world I've found the Satellites technology from CivIII to be creepy. It just drove the point home.

Ever since Google photographed a disturbingly large surface of the world I've found the Satellites technology from CivIII to be creepy. It just drove the point home.

Doesn't the Fascism civic result in the population of all cities decreasing for a few turns? :scared:

I never develop it. It's not a requisite for going into the next era, so unless it's standing between future techs and me it's a waste of time.

Edit: I think I can research future techs without the Fascism tech, or else I steal it from somebody…? I haven't played an epic game in nearly three years.

I've had a few games where I managed to obsolete certain units/buildings/etc before even acquiring them. :lol:

I think in my case I didn't get around to researching Chivalry (which gave me knights) until long after I'd gotten cavalry. :lol:

If you're India you need chivalry for the elephants (or the Arabs with their Ansar Warriors, 4/2/3 beats 4/3/2 every time!) but the point of the tech in Conquests is to try and get the Knights Templar GW. The Crusader unit is more or less broken but the AI cannot seem to do anything other than go for the tried-and-trusted stacks of doom.

also i'd like to apologise for the cfc content and moderation team for discussing civilization games in the civilization fanatics forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom