TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that Blackbeard was a Jacobite. Apparently a lot of pirates were, or claimed to be; it's difficult to tell how much of it is sincere commitment to the House of Stewart, and how much of it is just anti-authoritarian edginess.

TIL that Amazon's HQ2 is going to screw over residents of Queens by taking a $1.5 billion tax break while NYC's infrastructure is crumbling and not being required to hire local residents as part of the deal.

TIL that Blackbeard was a Jacobite. Apparently a lot of pirates were, or claimed to be; it's difficult to tell how much of it is sincere commitment to the House of Stewart, and how much of it is just anti-authoritarian edginess.
Or just the claim that one was answering to somebody who was in no position to dispute that claim.

An anti-authoritarian pirate? Who woulda thunk it?

In Windows 7 at least (I suspect the same might work for 10), if you get a window stuck off-screen, shift-right-click the taskbar button, click move, and press an arrow key. It should pop back onto screen.

In Windows 7 at least (I suspect the same might work for 10), if you get a window stuck off-screen, shift-right-click the taskbar button, click move, and press an arrow key. It should pop back onto screen.

Windows Key + arrow will work too if the window is active

TIL about the Great Emu War of 1932 in which Australia waged "war" against their national bird, the emu ... and lost. :lol:

The Great Depression had hit Australian farmers hard, but to add insult to injury a flock of 20,000 Emus started eating farmers crops. The farmers took the perfectly reasonable step of calling in the assistance of the Australian military. Three soldiers were sent on the expedition with two machine guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition. The Emus employed guerrilla tactics such as running away really quickly and out ranging the machine guns. After 6 days 2500 rounds had been fired and anywhere from 50 to 500 emus killed and became quite the scandal in the local press. The Australians suffered no casualties but one of the officers noted that

If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop.

Later a second attempt at culling the emus was attempted with more success than the first. Over time the emu crisis was solved by improvements in fence technology.

This sounds like an interesting line of discussion.
That average is highly skewed by the idiots who would try to shake a vending machine for any possible reason.

TIL about the Great Emu War of 1932 in which Australia waged "war" against their national bird, the emu ... and lost. :lol:

The Great Depression had hit Australian farmers hard, but to add insult to injury a flock of 20,000 Emus started eating farmers crops. The farmers took the perfectly reasonable step of calling in the assistance of the Australian military. Three soldiers were sent on the expedition with two machine guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition. The Emus employed guerrilla tactics such as running away really quickly and out ranging the machine guns. After 6 days 2500 rounds had been fired and anywhere from 50 to 500 emus killed and became quite the scandal in the local press. The Australians suffered no casualties but one of the officers noted that

Later a second attempt at culling the emus was attempted with more success than the first. Over time the emu crisis was solved by improvements in fence technology.
I got my ex in trouble in school by texting her info on this while she was supposed to be paying attention in class, causing her to start laughing.

The rest of the world had Nazis, Soviets, the IJA, the British Empire, and so on. We had emus. Terrifying, deadly emus.

I got my ex in trouble in school by texting her info on this while she was supposed to be paying attention in class, causing her to start laughing.

The rest of the world had Nazis, Soviets, the IJA, the British Empire, and so on. We had emus. Terrifying, deadly emus.

Why didn't the people just eat them?

Why didn't the people just eat them?
Because an angry emu will eff you up. They're terrifying harbingers of death.

Tbf, we do eat them. We just can't eat that many of the damn things that quickly. And they don't taste great. Also bear in mind that this was 1932. Our population was about a tenth of its current level. Less of us to do the eating.

Because an angry emu will eff you up. They're terrifying harbingers of death.

Tbf, we do eat them. We just can't eat that many of the damn things that quickly. And they don't taste great. Also bear in mind that this was 1932. Our population was about a tenth of its current level. Less of us to do the eating.

They ain't gonna eff you up once you shoot them. And if it's the middle of the Depression, I'm assuming low cost food is a good thing. even if it isn't the best tasting.

And outside of the military, how many people do you think had guns, and bullets, during the Depression in Australia?

As you can see, it takes multiple bullets to kill an emu. It's just not cost effective.

As you can see, it takes multiple bullets to kill an emu. It's just not cost effective.

Only if you suck at shooting.

Back in the Depression, my grandmother put a gun in my father's hands and told him to go get dinner. He didn't like hunting, but he did it.

Only if you suck at shooting.

Back in the Depression, my grandmother put a gun in my father's hands and told him to go get dinner. He didn't like hunting, but he did it.
And I'm sure some people did eat them. Doesn't change the fact that they're hard to kill, and not many people had guns anyway. Besides, rural areas where they had access to emu meat were less likely to have food problems anyway. Except for the problems caused by emus eating crops.

EDIT: Goddammit Cutlass, you made me waste my 1000th post on that? At least it's an Emu War discussion. The Emu War is hilarious.

Last edited:
I don't care how well armed the people were, emus ain't Cornish hens. It would take a whole lot of people to eat 20,000 emus.
In 1931, Perth's population was still under 100,000. An emu will feed about 10 people. That's a lot of people eating emus for several days straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom