To put an end to all these waterboarding and torture nonsense

tonberry

Emperor
Ok so I've been reading a lot of posts about waterboarding. That's is not torture, it doesn't leave permanent damage, etc. People are trying to persuade others that the US don't torture people, they just waterboard them. Others say torture is immoral and we should never do it.

First of all, waterboard is torture, it fit every existing definitions of torture. I won't argue with it because it's like arguing that the Earth is a planet. I won't waiste time with people who don't beleive so or deal with semantics.

It's also irrelevant because people who are willing to use waterboarding are certainly willing to use others form of tortures to get say information. I mean, the Japanese in WW2 were obviously not against hardcore torture but yet, they use waterbording, why? Because it's just one mean to get informations out of prisoners among others.

Let's take a simple example: a governement is detaining someone who they beleive know about a terrorist plot that is about to unfold in the coming days. They have resonnable evidences that this person is involved in that plot and know how to find the others responsibles. The detention of this guy is not public knowledge and, if they kill him, nobody will know about it.

You know what? This guy would get tortured be it by the USA, by Canada, France, UK. Traditionnal neutral country like Switzerland would torture him too. And if I was in charge, I would torture him. Not because I think it's right, not because the informations I will get will be reliable but simply because if I have strong proofs that many people will die soon and my only way to stop this is with this guy, I would do everything to get what little informations I need.

Not everyone would do that, of course. Ghandi, Jesus and the Dalai-Lama would not I guess. But 98% of the rest of the world would.

My point is, who cares if the US is waterboarding people? Do they? It seem so. Do they do worse when the need arise? You bet! Informations coming from torture may not be the most reliable but if it fit with others sources, then it has it's uses. It's never right to do it just like it's never right to go to war but sometimes not doing it may be even more wrong.

Now, does that's mean any situations involving waterboarding must be ignored? Of course not! But we must protest agains the entire thing not just some parts of it. Is it ok for the US to waterboard a guy in Guantanamo without having any evidence that he may know something about Bin Laden? No! But it's not ok to have him prisoner without trial in the first place! Protesting against the waterboarding part is like protesting that a rapist didn't use a condoms to rape his victim. The whole thing is wrong, no need to argue about the details of it.

Is it ok for the US to waterboard a guy in Guantanamo without having any evidence that he may know something about Bin Laden? No!
Citation, or you pulled that out of your butt.
But it's not ok to have him prisoner without trial in the first place!
Since when do POWs get trials?! They don't (unless they commit war crimes), they get repatriated after the war. Is the war in Iraq over?

To my knowledge, there have been 2 or 3 waterboardings and all have yielded critical (and correct) information that directly saved countless lives. To claim that one would vote against those 2 or 3 instances, given full information, is dumb. Further, comparing it to China et al. is even dumber.

Citation, or you pulled that out of your butt.

Out of butt, I'm arguing about the principle of the things not about an example in particular.

Yeah, this needed another thread.

Maybe I could have including it in the waterboard thread. I didn't because I wanted to respond to all the others threads about waterboard so I tough a new thread was necessary. If a mod disagree, he can close it and I will post my text in the other thread.

Out of butt, I'm arguing about the principle of the things not about an example in particular.

Does anyone advocate waterboarding random prisoners? What principles are you talking about? The principle of inventing crap to make your argument sound reasonable?

And what about the trials? Do you think all POWs should receive a trial and be repatriated before the end of the war? Where do you get this idea from? Certainly not from history or international law.

Does anyone advocate waterboarding random prisoners? What principles are you talking about?

I know my english is not perfect but I think it's good enough to explain simple things but since you take the time to ask:

I'm talking about if it's ok to waterboard or torturing someone. I'm talking about if we should continue arguing if the US or any others country should torture or not.

I know my english is not perfect but I think it's good enough to explain simple things but since you take the time to ask:

I'm talking about if it's ok to waterboard or torturing someone. I'm talking about if we should continue arguing if the US or any others country should torture or not.

Well.

Are you talking about waterboarding two or three high level prisoners that we knew had vital and time-sensitive information (and we got that information and saved lives).

Or are you talking about actually torturing random prisoners?

Those are two VERY different things.

Since when do POWs get trials?! They don't (unless they commit war crimes)
It depends on the nature of the conflict/number of POWs and systems to handle them. In WWII, no they did not get trials as that would have been infeasible, and afterward only the worst and highest profile POWs got trials. In 2008 when there are a few hundred at most, there's no reason to not actually test the case of their detention.

We do test the case of their detention. Military tribunals. The idea that we do it in a civilian court is absurd - first of all, where do you get a jury of their peers?

Some have been convicted... several of them have been released and some caught again on the battlefield.

Stop pretending that these people are being denied trials and hearings.

If you think their trials should be in civilian courts, fine, but the vast majority of Americans disagree with you.

You thought the OJ trial was a circus? The Gitmo trials would be the highest rated network mini-series in history and we would not achieve any greater justice. "If the vest doesn't fit, you must acquit"... spare me.

About 60 to 80 of the 300 or so prisoners at Guantanamo Bay will face tribunals. But those who do not, because of a lack of evidence, face indefinite detention without trial.

I thought the people in Gitmo were "illegal combatants" not PoWs? Isnt that how the US gets away with using waterboarding and not allowing the prisoners full PoW rights?

I thought the people in Gitmo were "illegal combatants" not PoWs? Isnt that how the US gets away with using waterboarding and not allowing the prisoners full PoW rights?

Gitmo gets BEYOND full POW rights. They are the best treated POWs in history. And no, they are not technically POWs. But they still get all those rights and much much more. There's no waterboarding at Gitmo.

Hell, if they're treated bad enough they might use it in their credentials and grow up to become president.

That's cold, dude. McCain proved his metal in that camp when he chose not to leave early.

Damn, googling for spell-check got me again. Those bastards (the websites listed when you search) spell stuff wrong. When I get a whole page of hits using the same misspelling as I, well... you see what happens. I even googled "proved his metal" and still got screwed.

Gitmo gets BEYOND full POW rights.

"Citation, or you pulled that out of your butt."

And no, they are not technically POWs. But they still get all those rights and much much more.
No. Not all of them may even be visited by the Red Cross and that's just the start of the troubles.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/16/america/16gitmo.php
http://www.redcross.org/article/0,1072,0_332_3806,00.html

There's no waterboarding at Gitmo.

It's officially allowed.
Waterboarding is not classified as torture by the Bush administration.

Before the Detainee Treatment Act in 30 December 2005, every interrogation method was allowed.
After december 2005 interrogators cannot do: torture, cruel or inhuman treatment, biological experiments, murder, mutilation or maiming, causing serious body harm, rape, sexual assault and taking hostages.

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/gazette/2005/12/detainee-treatment-act-of-2005-white.php
(SEC.1003 a and d are the most important parts)

Waterboarding is endorsed.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003323549_cheney26.html

Damn, googling for spell-check got me again. Those bastards (the websites listed when you search) spell stuff wrong. When I get a whole page of hits using the same misspelling as I, well... you see what happens. I even googled "proved his metal" and still got screwed.
You know, 134, for such a smart guy, you don't seem too bright. You make two to three spelling mistakes a day, yet continue to go back to the same spell checker that screws you repeatedly. Surely a man with an IQ of 134, as you have, 134, would know better than to repeat the same mistake over and over and over again. makes you wonder if IQ score actually means a damn thing, doesn't it, 134?

Top Bottom