1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Today I Learned #2: Gone for a Wiki Walk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Dromedary, Bactrian or both?

2. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Since Dromedaries are reckoned to have evolved from Bactrian both presumably. The humps evolved to store fatty tissues.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Please post more about the camel humps. :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Ajidica, The_J and haroon like this.
  5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Not quite the vacation spot that they envisioned....

stfoskey12, haroon and thetrooper like this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Football fans in 2012 mixed up Budapest and Bucharest for the EL final, I remember…

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Cape Breton's pretty nice.

8. aimeeandbeatles

I was going to make a joke about the tar ponds, but TIL that they finally got them cleaned up in 2013.

The_J likes this.
  9. Cutlass

TIL that singer Melisa Etheridge's son died from opioid addiction.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Joe Rogan just signed for $100+ million with Spotify

He's leaving Youtube :(

11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Good.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

yeah, I'm happy for him too

shadowplay likes this.
  13. Imaus

Imaus King

I was this many days old when I found out Dali was a recent artist. I thought he was some guy from the 20s and 40s (and he was, kind of) but he died in 1989!

Maybe I confused him with Van Gogh too much, but darn.

I found this out as I came across the Head of Medusa piece and noted that it was made in 1962, and in terms of, well, time, that's both yesterday and ancient history, so I said to myself 'hmm when was Dali active again?' - and it turns out he was drawing until his last, his last piece the Head of Europa.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. aimeeandbeatles

Today I learned about the Lake Nyos disaster. There's a lot of CO2 in the water of the lake and it exploded out and suffocated a lot of people and animals. :( It's called a limnic eruption.

Hrothbern, hobbsyoyo, Cutlass and 2 others like this.
  15. aimeeandbeatles

Today I learned that contrary to speculation, the band Bad Company (known for their song "Bad Company" on the album Bad Company) wasn't actually named after a movie called Bad Company.

I also learned that there's a band called The The.

The_J and Cutlass like this.
  16. Cutlass

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

haroon, Cutlass and The_J like this.
  18. aimeeandbeatles

Today I learned that the city of Kinney, Minnesota tried to secede from the United States so they could receive foreign aid to help replace a failing water system.

The_J likes this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Mammoths, just not the wooly kind!

Experts find bones of dozens of mammoths

Finds will offer new info, they say

BY MARK STEVENSON

ASSOCIATED PRESS

MEXICO CITY — Archaeologists have found the bones of about 60 mammoths at an airport under construction just north of Mexico City, near human-built ‘traps’ where more than a dozen mammoths were found last year.

Both discoveries reveal how appealing the area — once a shallow lake — was for mammoths, and how erroneous was the classic vision of groups of furclad hunters with spears chasing mammoths across a plain. Humans may have been smarter — and mammoths clumsier — than people had previously thought.

For the moment, however, Mexican archaeologists are facing a surfeit of mammoths, almost too many to ever excavate.

“There are too many, there are hundreds,” said archeologist Pedro Sánchez Nava of the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

The institute began digging in three large, shallow areas in October, when work started to convert an old military airbase into a civilian airport. In about six months, the bones of 60 of the huge, extinct herbivores were found and Sánchez Nava said that pace — about 10 mammoths a month — may continue. The airport project is scheduled for completion in 2022, at which time the dig will end.

The excavations were conducted on the shores of an ancient lake, once known as Xaltocan and now disappeared. The shallow lake apparently produced quantities of grasses and reeds, which attracted mammoths that often ate 330 pounds of it every day. “It was like paradise for them,” Sánchez Nava said.

The excavations are about 6 miles from the mammoth pits found last year in the hamlet of San Antonio Xahuento. There, two human-built pits were dug about 15,000 years ago to trap mammoths, which apparently couldn’t clamber out of the 6-foot deep traps.

Those pits, found during excavations for a garbage dump, were filled with bones from at least 14 mammoths, and some of the animals appeared to have been butchered.

The institute said hunters may have chased mammoths into the traps. Remains of two other species that disappeared in the Americas — a horse and a camel — were also found there, at layers corresponding to 15,000 to 20,000 years ago.

The newer excavations at the airbase have not yet turned up any of the distinct cut marks that would suggest human butchering of the animals.

Sánchez Nava said the most recently discovered mammoths had apparently got stuck in the mud of the ancient lake and died, or were eaten by other animals.

But the bones will be subject to further study because Sánchez Nava said humans might have carved up the mammoths once they got stuck.

And, he said, ancient humans could possibly have used the mud pools and flats around the lake shore as a sort of natural trap. “It’s possible they may have chased them into the mud,” he noted, adding, “They (ancient humans) had a very structured and organized division of labor” for getting mammoth meat.

The huge number of mammoths discovered may also change scientists’ views of how frequently mammoth turned up on the menu of our ancestors. “They used to think it was very … sporadic,” Sánchez Nava said of a mammoth meal. “In fact, it may have been part of their daily diet.”

Mammoth bones have always been so numerous in the area that the Aztecs, who ruled the Mexico Valley between 1325 and 1521, recorded having found the enormous bones; Sánchez Nava said the Aztecs interpreted them as proof of legends that giants once populated the valley.

Sánchez Nava said the remains will allow scientists to research how mammoths fed and whether they were suffering genetic inbreeding or decline, which could have contributed — along with human hunting — to their extinction about 10,000 years ago.

The_J likes this.
  20. Cutlass

TIL that not only does Korea have American style baseball, they have American style cheerleaders.

The_J, hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.