Today I Learned #3: There's a wiki for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Park creators Stone and Parker inked a deal worth ~900 million $$$ with Paramount for 14 SP movies and an extension thru 2027 with Viacom/Comedy Central for their cartoon
Legitimately stoked for this. The original SP movie is a classic in my eyes and I can't wait to see what Trey and Matt come up with next.

South Park hasn't actually been very good for like a decade though

That's what happens when a show goes on too long. They run out of good ideas.

edit: I had the wrong quote

Last edited:
I’m guessing not all of them, if any, would be theatrical releases. I don’t know how the studios do their accounting but I imagine they could get more from some other platform than whatever they’d get in box office receipts.

South Park creators Stone and Parker inked a deal worth ~900 million $$$ with Paramount for 14 SP movies and an extension thru 2027 with Viacom/Comedy Central for their cartoon
14 movies?
That is rather ridiculous, no?
It's definitely a bold move, but it might not be ridiculous. I think the economy of animated movies is different from live-action movies. As an example, Marvel-Disney has released, iirc, 23 "MCU" movies since 2008. In that same period of time, Warner Bros. Animation has released 42 animated movies from the DC Comics universe (and that's not even counting things like The Lego Batman Movie and Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, which were released separately). Booking 14 animated movies may be sending your backs forward into the attack, but sometimes you do that.

I’m guessing not all of them, if any, would be theatrical releases. I don’t know how the studios do their accounting but I imagine they could get more from some other platform than whatever they’d get in box office receipts.
Yes, probably. Those 42 DC Comics animated movies were all "direct-to-video", to use an archaic term. I think only Lego Batman and Teen Titans Go were theatrical releases.

Add to that South Park is not really a technical feat necessitating a big production staff like a live-action movie or even a 3D animated movie; the biggest challenge ought to be coming up with basically enough gags to fill a ninety-minute episode.

Add to that South Park is not really a technical feat necessitating a big production staff like a live-action movie or even a 3D animated movie; the biggest challenge ought to be coming up with basically enough gags to fill a ninety-minute episode.
That's sort of my problem with South Park. They can do some excellent short gags, but stretched out into a half hour show - let alone a 90 minute TV movie - those gags are repeated so much they become unfunny, are escalated into territory where you aren't sure if they are making fun of the thing itself or of people who find it funny, or they just end up escalating into shock.

Til that the netflix adaptation of the scifi novel series The Three Body Problem will be done by the writers of the HBO adaptation of Game of Thrones.
Considering how that series got wrecked, it will be interesting to see what happens with the 3BodyProblem (which, mind you, has plenty of issues of its own, without D&D doing the adaptation).

The problem with South Park is that it's always been a parody and the US has rapidly moved to meet it. It's like that time when The Onion gave up and posted a real-life news item (Donald Trump being the president-elect of the U.S. of A.) as just another regular Onion article.

That's a surprising thing to admit.

Hedgehog litter:

20210808_150901.jpg

upload_2021-8-9_20-52-8.png

Pretty sad that general Bazaine ended up being a pianist in a brothel in Moscow - well, someone looking like him, according to a short story by Chechov :p
Then again, France should have prepared better for the 1870-71 war.

Pretty sad that general Bazaine ended up being a pianist in a brothel in Moscow
I can think of worse ways to live out my days.

It must have been strange to have musicians in brothels. They probably played random stuff, like popular folk or arrangements of songs of the day.

Before radio was diffused, it was commonplace. Like in a saloon, or any similar establishment.

Jelly Roll Morton himself recounts having started out as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom