Truths that seem false

Mr. Dictator

A Chain-Smoking Fox
I don't think this qualifies as a forum game, but I think it could be fun.

So here's what we'll do. State a fact, but in a way that seems wrong. For instance:

No human has ever touched the moon.

This one's kind of easy, so let's see who makes sense of it first.

Edit: Please use spoilers, for those who would like to figure out for themselves.

Correct! I'd also like to ask for spoilers. Sorry, forgot that in the OP.

that's not true. Astronauts brought back plenty of moon rock. Heck, I just touched the moon a couple weeks ago at the air and space museum!

that's not true. Astronauts brought back plenty of moon rock. Heck, I just touched the moon a couple weeks ago at the air and space museum!

Did I touch a shark when I held one of its teeth?

Because their bodies didn't physically touch the surface since they were covered in a protective suit to protect them from the elements.
False.

Spoiler :
a) Because samples of the moon have been brought back to earth and it seems likely that someone will have touched them with their hands;

b) people have been known to have been touched by the rays of light reflected from the moon;

c) people have been emotionally touched by the sight of the moon, and inspired to write poetry, and music;

d) etc.

Did I touch a shark when I held one of its teeth?
Well, in that case no one has ever touched the Earth, since no one has touched all of it. And it seems very improbable that anyone will ever touch the centre of the Earth.

yes? although most people probably would say touching the exterior layer of the shark (i.e. fin, etc) would constitute a more thorough "touching," or more compelling is touching a live shark.

I would say the moon is a chunk of floating rock, especially considering that moon rock has unique compostion compared to rocks on earth ("Three minerals were discovered from the moon. These include armalcolite, tranquillityite and pyroxferroite. Armalcolite, was named for the three astronauts on the Apollo 11 mission: Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins.")

If I touch the rock, I touch the moon.

No one has ever looked at me.

Spoiler :
You know, it's going to turn out that it's impossible to speak the truth at all.

This would come as no surprise to me.

if I touch a Russian in the US, have I touched a russian?

I'd argue about uniqueness. I don't particularly think sand from hawaii will have unique properties compared to sand elsewhere in the pacific. I'd call it "pacific sand" or just "sand" if that's accurate. If it is unique and only exists naturally in the confines of hawaii, then sure.

I'd say someone who picked up a piece of rock on the moon (while wearing a protective suite) and then touched that piece with their bare hand once back on earth can be fairly said to have touched the moon. Because while to others it might just be a rock they only encountered on earth, to that person, it will remain a piece of the moon that they themselves brought back.

Distributing computer data to rural areas via carrier pigeons is superior to alternative means of distribution such as the internet.

Spoiler :
To an extent this is true. Studies have shown that tying USB flash drives to carrier pigeons and having them home in on recipients can be a superior means of data distribution where internet services are poor (like, say, dial up for example). However, the significant risk of packet loss makes this is a less than ideal means of data distribution.

Well, in that case no one has ever touched the Earth, since no one has touched all of it. And it seems very improbable that anyone will ever touch the centre of the Earth.

Well, the difference is that the parts that we touch aren't separated from the whole. When you bring a rock back from the moon, you have a moon rock. A moon rock is *from* the moon, but it's been separated.

yes? although most people probably would say touching the exterior layer of the shark (i.e. fin, etc) would constitute a more thorough "touching," or more compelling is touching a live shark.

I would say the moon is a chunk of floating rock, especially considering that moon rock has unique compostion compared to rocks on earth ("Three minerals were discovered from the moon. These include armalcolite, tranquillityite and pyroxferroite. Armalcolite, was named for the three astronauts on the Apollo 11 mission: Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins.")

If I touch the rock, I touch the moon.
Those minerals have also been later found at earth. But i see your point.

Top Bottom