Try-03: The Viking Conquest

Hi:hatsoff:,

@Trynthlas: good turns...

@Simon: I like your blue site, it will be an awesome GP farm or whip draft center...very nice. I would move red one north two east to work the eastern clams.

@ all:

I like Pigswill's plan... If we have enough forests to chop the wonder in the cap, it could be worth it. After that each new city we found will likely improve the economy:goodjob:! This also allows Nidaros to produce settler and worker at max size (6 after silver mine?)...

Anyway, who is up?

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

I did think of 1N2E for city#2, but that I was planning for more hills for long term growth after it was all chopped for the GLighthouse. But, if we're going to push for the GLighthouse in our capitol, then blue would be the GP farm and/or whipping center for troops.

We would still be hunting for a long term production center too.

My brain can't work out all the details for which is the quicker path to the GLighthouse. There are 6 forests to chop, if we can manage overflow from whipping the TradingPost, the worker pre-chops some forests and skips farming, we may be able to do it before anyone else.

For long term production: how about one north 5 west of Nidaros: no ressources (meh) but one lake+ tiles that can be irrigated + 5 mines (I count from screenie not save so that could be 4 or 6...). Up north there are nice sites with windmills but that is not for now...

But perhaps there are better sites on the continent...:scan:

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

@RRRaskolnikov
1N4W could be good to get things started with troop production. Although at some point before we've gone much further, we'll need somewhere coastal with production although we can whip the boats out of blue dot.

Yeah after the GL, we could settle blue dot and this prod site (1N5W of Nidaros) in this order...

about GP: frankly i do prefer a scientist rather than a merchant in the BCs... an academy in Nidaros or blue dot or early philo or both would be nice... but let see what the consensus is about the GP we want. In case we want a Scientist, a lib somewhere have to be a priority.

Raskolnikov

edit:MM tip about whipping: as a galley costs 50 hammers, there are ideal units to be whipped while building the GL... just put less or equal 4 hammers in the first turn of production and then whip for two pop the second turn. Third turn max overflow in the wonder...
edit edit: well, my numbers are for normal and it's epic of course...lol I guess we will find something else around 45 hammers to whip into the GL...

I agree with pigswill's tech order.
On builds, Warrior -> TP(whip) -> worker -> GLight will work fine, I doubt we'll have time for a workboat in there.

I agree on the plan, whip the TP, overflow to worker, build worker, start immediately on GLight, mine silver, chop chop chop to the wonder. If we MM the tiles in Nidaros correctly we should be fine. By that, I mean don't be working the lake tiles when we're building the wonder (and any other appropriate time), every hammer counts.

Someone post a 'got it', and build us that lighthouse! (stop when it's done ;))

PS - Dotmap!
Spoiler :
My thoughts on build order: Red (GP farm), Blue (Coastal prod), Green (Hybrid), Yellow (Commerce), Purple (prod)
Nidaros is obviously a commerce site.

I posted the idea, I'll give it a whirl.

Will get it tonight (at work atm).

Edit: Got It.

Some comments about Trynthlas' dotmap:
It's ok so far. The only difference I'd propose would be to settle the red dot 1N2E (on the title we discussed earlier). This would provide a more productive one than on the title right now. And as I see blue won't be an ealy production site, because it's missing the necessary food.. And we can keep the resources we'd loose in putting red 1N2E for an upcoming island city west of the second clams.

Some comments about Trynthlas' dotmap:
It's ok so far. The only difference I'd propose would be to settle the red dot 1N2E (on the title we discussed earlier). This would provide a more productive one than on the title right now. And as I see blue won't be an ealy production site, because it's missing the necessary food.. And we can keep the resources we'd loose in putting red 1N2E for an upcoming island city west of the second clams.

The purpose for having the red dot on the tile discussed earlier was to do a jumpstart production city for the Great Lighthouse. With that plan changed, I think it's better to use the food tiles down there for a GP farm...also, from the landmass we're definitely in Scandinavia/Norway so that stuff to the SW is the main European land area, which we should indeed move in on (but it's certainly not an island! ;))

You are probably right about blue not being the best early production site. I'd say instead we should use green, which will have 4 hills, plus 5 or 6 grassland tiles with fresh water for farms. So, maybe switch my order up a bit, and do Red -> Green -> Yellow ... (possibly moving to other continent at this point rather than finishing settling the north area, which we can really do at our own convenience)

Played up to T60 (2500bc).

T28. Work lake, fish, silver. Grow in 6. BW in 6. Start warrior.

T34. Pop 4. Work fish, silver, 2 lake. BW>Sailing.

T39. Warrior>Worker.

T45. Sailing>Masonry. Worker>TP.

T54. Masonry>Wheel. Revolt to slavery.

T55. Doublewhip TP

T56. 29 hammer overflow to Glite. Regrow to pop 4.

T57. Double whip worker.

T58. 48 hammer overflow to Glite.

T60. Worker starts silvermine.

Exploration up north revealed nothing. No sign of copper on the map so far.

Humm.
*personally* I'd have whipped the worker as soon as BW was in, and then prechopped all the woods while we grew enough to whip the TP. But then I wouldn't have a warrior and it may have been slower :lol:

Would we now be better working the fish, growing quicker so we can whip more ? We'd only loose 3 :hammers: before we'd grown again and could be working the forest.

Sneaking a galley out and using the overflow may be would be good too.

You're right about working fish and growing asap, we lose three hammers but gain six through earlier growth.
I was reluctant to whip worker earlier because before sailing there wasn't much to put the overflow into. Waiting for masonry meant all the overflow from TP and worker went straight to Glight. On the other hand we have longer to wait for whip misery to subside and itwill take a bit longer to chop. Also even chopping six forests only gives us 180 hammers, leaving another 120 to find from somewhere. We'd get 66 hammers for a wonder from a triple whip so any way we do it its going to take time.

Work food to grow until we have 1 :mad:, then work forests so we stagnate on growth and maximize hammers until there's no unhappy, then do it again for the second :mad: face when we grow to size 5.

Start chopping after the silver mine is done, and we'll be fine.

Let's talk techs...after Wheel, I think we should grab Agriculture -> Pottery -> ...well, something along the lines of Mysticism/Archery/Writing (not sure what order) and then go for Iron Working, since we haven't found copper.

Someone grab it and finish off the wonder for us, eh?

Hi everyone:),

good turns Pigswill!

I agree with the path suggested by Trynthlas,exception of archery... with no barbarians warriors can keep our cities happy and archers serve no purpose on attack so I don't think going for archery is worth it... better to aim for IW after pott/writing.
I can't play before monday so go on Simon with save... I think once we have grown to size 6 (working the fish please!:D), a settler whip should be done so we can begin to expand as well...

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

With that plan changed, I think it's better to use the food tiles down there for a GP farm...

Clear so far.. But still I think we'd rather need two good production sites than two GP farms.. (counting our cap as the first one)

What does the rest of the team think about the dotmap?

The map is really quite unfriendly and there basically isn't a decent production site with a food tile available to support it.
Red dot seems pretty obvious. The rest are basically pretty poor sites. That's not the dot-mapping , its the land itself. Maybe there will be something better in Denmark but from what I've seen so far I wouldn't count on it.

OK. That's a gotit.

I guess we can squeese a settler and/or a galley out by whipping & putting overflow into the GLight. Any preference as to which ?

red dot first to build the rest of the settlers/workers ?

T60 (0) 2500BC. preflight check .
Set to work Fish. Grow in 3, wheel in 4. GL in 111 :eek:

T63 (3) 2425BC. Nidaros to size 3. GL in 72 turns Ooooo.

T64 (4) 2400BC Get wheel. Go Agriculture.
Confucianism has been FIADL.
That actually seems quite slow to me. Although maybe that's cos it's Epic.

T70 (10) 2250BC: Checked back, and it looks like one :whip: wore off that turn too. Put the fisherman back to work

T71 (11) Silver on line. That's 0 extra :hammers: but loads more :commerce: 18 :beakers: a turn now :)

T72-74: I tried whipping a galley. Putting 1 turn of production in it give me 21 overflow. Someone who knows the numbers can probably figure it out to give nearer 30. But, 21 should offset the lost 2 pop while they re-grow and we get a free galley.

74L: Agriculture in. Going for Iron working to find metals for city sites.

T76: We meet our first neighbor, and they are uncomfortably close if we're going to try to find mettals in Holland....
Spoiler :

Greetings Justinian. You really should get out more. Some sea air would do your completion a world of good.

T77 2075BC Worker finishes the 2nd chop. & nidaros grows. 34 turns now.

T78 2050BC. The scout is in Holland now. Looking at the size of the borders of Justinian it's his capitol, which means at least 2 of the fish resources that are rightfully ours are going to be captured by his capitol. I guess we'll just have to take care of him sooner rather than later. :evil:

T81 1975BC We meet another neighbour scouting with a work boat.

[lost the pic !!]

Hail Brennus.

And the scout bumps into someone else too
Queen Vic .
Spoiler :

No, not the pub....

T82 1950BC. the 2nd forest is chopped, and the GL will be finished in 16 turns.

I think I've sent my scout too far into mainland europe. There's no easy coper deposits appart from Justinian's and we're way to far away to be easily able to support a city here. (aren't we ?)

T86: 1850 We can whip the Glighthouse for 2 pop. :whip:
Spoiler :

T87: 1825: We build it. [party]

I've put a work boat in the build queue while we regrow as we need one for red dot.
The scout it back in the galley returning to see if Norway has more useful land than Sweden has

Here's the world as we know it. Cultural map on.

Spoiler :

It looks like Brennus is in England which is a bit funny. Not sure if Vicky's going to try to kick him out :)

Hi everyone!

@Simon: nice round! I have not look at the save yet but landing the wonder was nice! :goodjob:

@all: I agree with Pigswill (I seem to always type that:lol:), the land around us is not very productive...
+ we are VERY late regarding expansion: looking at the cultural map, we can see that both Justinian and Vicky have already three cities!:eek: so better launch settlers now!!!

in Trynthlas dotmap, we should begin by red (GP farm with cottages in Nidaros?) and then green for the mines (even if it's meh as we discussed earlier with Simon)...

We also need some exploration to be done east and south east to locate metals (Praying for iron in Sweden...)

@Trynthlas: who is up?:)

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Top Bottom