UM (United Modders)

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
UM (United Modders)

UM Proposal
Spoiler :
My proposal is to bring the modders of "Rise of Mankind" together so many separate mods fit together like a puzzle to where they are all compatible with each other. This would mean that we would try to avoid content overlaps or conflicts. Basiclly I see it working like this ...

Basiclly all modmods would be based on Rise of Mankind. They would all be compatible with each other however neither would be depend upon each other. A New Dawn would be in the category.

The next level would be the modmodmods. Which I would assume would be mainly dependent upon A New Dawn. HAND for example would be one of those mods. All mods in this category would be compatible with any other AND based mod as well as any other RoM mod. Thus making it so if you download all of the mods they should work together like one huge mod.

The way I see it working is that each modder controls their own content (or content given to them to be the maintainer of). For instance the Domestic Animal mod was made by Afforess but designed by me. Recently Afforess took it out of AND and I put it into my mod HAND. Thus the only mod with the Domestic Animal mod should be HAND. Get it?

This also would work well if each modder only had a single combo mod for people to download. That way we could make a big list and say if you download say all 8 of these mods then there should be no errors of conflicts.

What do you guys think? Do you think it can be done? If so who would be willing to join the UM (United Modders)?

---------------------------------

United Modders For RoM2.91 AND AND1.73 (Compiled by Hashishim)
DOWNLOAD HERE

Features
- HAND v1.1 (by Hydromancerx)
- Militia Mod (by DancingHolskud and Strategyonly)
- Subdue Animals (By DancingHolskud and strategyonly)
- Custom Religion (By AAranda and DancingHolskud)
- Custom Wonders (By AAranda and DancingHolskud)

Yeah this is good, and perhaps make a threaed for the links to the files :>, what is AToM by the way?

I always try and make sure mine are compatible and point out where there may be difficulties. :)

Don't forget that there is already a thread which lists all the RoM Mods. Rise of Mankind Modmod Index

Yeah I know but it would be nice to have like a seal of approval saying like "An United Modders Compatible Mod".

It would also be nice not to have overlap between the modmods. I get very confused about Vincentz stuff. btw what did you draw the picture in?

It would also be nice not to have overlap between the modmods. I get very confused about Vincentz stuff.

Yes. Having each mod have stuff that's not repeating is the core concept of this project.

btw what did you draw the picture in?

Its a program called VUE and you can download it for free here. I use it all the time for Taxonomy cladograms but they work well for flow charts or tech trees too.

It kind of different for me, i guess, cause if you look at NWA, its really a mixture of everything then alot more changes also. (Like i cant stand any fighting unit over a group level of three (3), just seems useless and takes more time to kill). Only thing i wish i could figure out is that darn installer, i just cant figure it out, or that SDK compiling stuff. But anything to get it to work better, i am all for it.

@strategyonly

Could you make a version of NWA that just has all your stuff in it and not stuff fro other peoples mods that is also in a modular form so people can just delete folders of mod features in your mod that they don't like?

For instance I can see things that overlap that you could take out such as the "Zoology Modmod has 2 new buildings: Pet Shop and RePet Shop." are already in my HAND mod. Or alls the stuff that's already included in AND. Just make the mos so it requires AND rather than including AND in your mod.

If you don't want to do that then its ok. But I would like to get as many modders united s possible so the players can have a wide variety of choices while not having to worry about if one mod will break another mod due to the same content being in both mods.

@strategyonly

Could you make a version of NWA that just has all your stuff in it and not stuff fro other peoples mods that is also in a modular form so people can just delete folders of mod features in your mod that they don't like?

For instance I can see things that overlap that you could take out such as the "Zoology Modmod has 2 new buildings: Pet Shop and RePet Shop." are already in my HAND mod. Or alls the stuff that's already included in AND. Just make the mos so it requires AND rather than including AND in your mod.

If you don't want to do that then its ok. But I would like to get as many modders united s possible so the players can have a wide variety of choices while not having to worry about if one mod will break another mod due to the same content being in both mods.

Sure i could, but once 3.0 comes out, i will be adding a WHOLE lot of content and stuff to RoM, to make it ALOT better than it already is, ie events, mine will have the actual Volcano's erupting rather than just a pic saying it, etc. I have already done this in the past with NWA.;)

Ok so lets get this stuff started. This is the stuff I will control and maintain.

* = Got permission to use

HAND (Hydro's A New Dawn)
- Craft Mod by Hydro
- Civic Buildings Mod by Afforess*
- Domestic Animal Mod by Hydro
- Education Mod by Afforess*
- Entertainment Mod by Hydro
- Farm Mod by Afforess*
- Firestorm Mod by Afforess*
- Garbage Mod by Hydro
- Health Mod by Hydro
- Military Mod
- NIMBY Mod Afforess*
- Palace Mod by Dancing Hoskuld*
- Science Mod by Hydro
- Spiritual Mod by Hydro
- Tower Mod by Generalstaff*
- Transportation Mod by Hydro
- Vacation Mod by Hydro
- Water Mod by Hydro
- Zoological Buildings Mod by Afforess*

Please post your own single link with listed mods inside. If any mods double then either take them out if they are not yours or ask the original creator if you can represent it in the "United Modders".

Sure i could, but once 3.0 comes out, i will be adding a WHOLE lot of content and stuff to RoM, to make it ALOT better than it already is, ie events, mine will have the actual Volcano's erupting rather than just a pic saying it, etc. I have already done this in the past with NWA.;)

Adding stuff is great! Even improving stuff is good. Repeating stuff is not. We should try to work together whenever possible. Thus any improvements you think of you should ask the original creators if they want to include your improvement. If not then make that a modular feature within your own "combo mod" that represents your stuff within the UM.

I mean this proposal is completely voluntary. And we should try to work around the core mods like RoM and AND so they can do what they have been doing while ours just enhances them while not conflicting with any other mod that is within UM.

I mean if this is done right then everyone will have less work to do since everyone is contributing a little part to the whole. Of course I could be way too optimistic and this could end up like trying to "herd cats". :p

You do know this means that AND & Co would have to make a VIP compatible version ;)
(Or was it the other way around. hehe.)

Well I think it would have to work like this.

A. Any of your content in AND you want control over you would ask Afforess to take out.

B. If he doesn't want to then you should make a compatible version with AND.

Note choice B is probably how things are going to go since Afforess has a lot of established stuff and its probably easier for the majority of modders to conform to him than having him conform to you. Also I would rather not piss off Afforess. ;)

AAranda's mods already had volcano and twister - I did not convert it because it makes me ill!

AAranda's mods already had volcano and twister - I did not convert it because it makes me ill!

ahaahahaaha thx, i needed that:goodjob:

I also am going to add alot of content and add back the normal CvEventManager.py so alot more stuff can be added, than just that RoMevent manager thing i dont like.

Cold water time :lol:...

The point of modding is to "mod, mod, brother, mod" :). The reason AND is so popular is because Afforess 95% or so of time undrestand what it take to make a quality game. I don't want Afforess to ever join UM because it is how he merged what other modmods together that make his modmod so great. But that is my opnion only.

So don't expect UM to blossom that much because it risks putting stifling pressure when modders work best with any pressure since they are amateurs, not professionals.

Nothing personal :p.

Cold water time :lol:...

The point of modding is to "mod, mod, brother, mod" :). The reason AND is so popular is because Afforess 95% or so of time undrestand what it take to make a quality game. I don't want Afforess to ever join UM because it is how he merged what other modmods together that make his modmod so great. But that is my opnion only.

So don't expect UM to blossom that much because it risks putting stifling pressure when modders work best with any pressure since they are amateurs, not professionals.

Nothing personal :p.

Sorry, I don't understand your comments. Afforess was looking after a merged set of mods including his. Now he has decided to focus on his mods, dropping those mods and parts of mods that he doesn't feel fit his focus. This is fine, more power to him.

The problem is this leaves a vacuum which may need to be filled. It also raises some problems.
  1. The other modders now need to decide if they want there mods in AND or not, especially those who have had only part of there mod left in AND. They need to decide if they are going to maintain the part in AND and the part dropped from AND or if they are just going to maintain their mod and let Afforess keep the bits he has up to date.
  2. Are we going to try for a single one installation package fits all that many on these forums want? Probably not.
  3. Should we, as modders, worry about how our mods fit together, or just leave it to chance? That would just be bad IMHO.

That is what I think this discussion is about.

I meant that having this UM thing can be stifling because supposing Vincentz really like something from AAranda and want to mod that mod in his pack. It would be Vincentz' mod but with credits to AAranda, y'dig? That was what I was concerned about. It seemed like UM would forbid modder to use another modder's work and thus break compatibility. Of course, I could had misunderstood UM's purpose. If so, oops :).

But the first thing I understand about modding is that you can change/wring/absorb/etc any other modder and the overarching game's mechanics/units/buildings/features/etc. So ultimately it is up to a downloader whether or not to download this or that mod as long as they understand that they are downloading free stuff and liable to be bugged for variable periods of time, depending on the modder's time and willingness to take in feedback/bug reports.

@Dancing Hoskuld

1. Personally anything Afforess wants to keep in AND of mine is fine. Mainly because if I have a problem with his stats I can "force override" in my own mod. Thus if people like the way Afforess has them then they can use just AND or if they like my version they can use HAND. Plain and simple.

2. That would be nice, however I doubt we could ever get everyone to do so. Plus if we did we would need someone responsible for maintaining the potential "UM Combo Mod". Thus I am striving for a more realistic goal of a single post with links to each person's mod within the UM. Note to be less confusing each person should have only one mod (but can have choices inside it to be modular). Thus AND would count as Afforess UM mod, HAND would be my UM mod, etc.

3. I think that was kind of the point. It would go in more or less in levels of "status". Rise of Mankind would have priority where anything within it should not be included in any other mod since all mods work off that. Then A New Dawn would come next to where anything within that should not be included in any other mods. Then you as a modder would have a choice to either make sure your mod don't conflict with AND or use AND as a base for your mod (which is what I am doing).

Top Bottom