Unique City-States

Would you play this mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone tested new version and refreshed abilities? I finished some big part of new stuff for v14 and this is the right time to call for any bugfixes, balancing changes and ask for new functionalities.
Sneak peak: CS passives will be optional and reworked next update.

I've only played one game so far, but i noticed that Bucharest gives +1 :c5culture: for every great work plus 25% Tourism from Historic Events. That sounds really strong. 1 game isn't really enough to say if it is op, but perhaps reducing it to +1 :c5culture: per Great Work of Writing or Great Work of Art would be more reasonable. Other than that i really like how unique the bonuses feel and i can't wait to get done with my thesis so i can play more games and try this mod some more

I've only played one game so far, but i noticed that Bucharest gives +1 :c5culture: for every great work plus 25% Tourism from Historic Events. That sounds really strong. 1 game isn't really enough to say if it is op, but perhaps reducing it to +1 :c5culture: per Great Work of Writing or Great Work of Art would be more reasonable. Other than that i really like how unique the bonuses feel and i can't wait to get done with my thesis so i can play more games and try this mod some more
Huh, it's only 1 :c5culture: , but with multiple GWs it can be indeed a big number in total. No other civ boosts them so far.

Perhaps it sounds stronger than it is. Like i said, i wasn't able to do much testing and i don't have the best sense for game balance, so best to wait what others say

Perhaps it sounds stronger than it is. Like i said, i wasn't able to do much testing and i don't have the best sense for game balance, so best to wait what others say
Ok, but any opinion can be important (at least to start a conversation). If you have anything more let me know.

Ok, so far made suggestion for balancing the abilities. I encourage you to take special care when playing wih these CS and sharing your expercience:
**Kabul**:
  • Mujahideen promotion: 25 Def :c5strength: --> 10 Def :c5strength: and allow movement through Mountains (requires promotion split)
**Djibouti**:
  • free Granary --> +100% :c5production: to Granaries
  • +100% :c5production: towards Settlers --> +50% :c5production:
**Hong Kong**:
  • +1 :c5gold: per 6 :c5citizen: --> (delete)
**Bucharest**:
  • +1 :c5culture: to GWs --> +1 :c5culture: to Literature/Art

I also created separate thread on the Discord for you to comment out things and suggest your changes.

If im playing with Custom Civs whose cities are also city states (like Sumer - Ur or Vietnam - Hanoi), these city states can't appear right? Does that mean the City State is renamed but keeps the same bonuses or is it basically just "deleted" from the game?

If im playing with Custom Civs whose cities are also city states (like Sumer - Ur or Vietnam - Hanoi), these city states can't appear right? Does that mean the City State is renamed but keeps the same bonuses or is it basically just "deleted" from the game?
It must be tested as I deleted the compatibility (there were so many civs and it was involving so much effort that I resigned from that feature).
For cities that are farther on the list of Major Civs, the name will be just omitted, so the pool of city names of a Major civilization will be smaller by that 1 (or more like in Philippines where there are at least 3 conflicts).
The bigger problem is like for Ur, when the name of a CS and the capital of a Major Civ is the same (Jerusalem, Manila also). In this example, major civ is first in queue and will settle first probably, so it will take the name. This way, City-State will take probably random name but from what pool, then I don't know. I am rather sure that it will spawn.

Ok, listen guys. If v13 were a shock to y'all, because of the amount of content, then v14 will cause you to have a heart attack!

Work on the UCS hasn't stopped, yet. I decided to continue the job with help of my fellows @gwennog, @jarcast2 and @Flamingcheesepie, without whom I wouldn't reached that far.

Ok, to the meritum. This update contains some trivial things like new City-States with new improvements or promotions. It contains also a new resource! Yes you heard right. Beside that there are tons of bugfixes (ones for fresh things introduced in v13, some for old ones, very old ones). There are some of balance changes and many gameplay-wise additions, that weren't done because I have no time or idea that it should be done.

There are also new civilopedia texts, so no more gaps (everything thanks to @jarcast2). I truly recommend you to read them, as they are really interesting in some cases. We plan to rework some of the original UCS texts, because they are so short, making them really useless.
Spoiler ??? :
1691512615000.png

And this is a cherry on top:
Spoiler Just wow! :
1691513658198.png

I think you'll like it. Read the detailed changelog to see what was done, and keep an eye on the forum, because v15 is already planned and ready to be coded!

As an addition, once more the important information, that you can post (and it is very likely to hear from me) any experience from latest versions of UCS. When you meet a city-state and you think its ability was too strong, too weak or just wrong, if you weren't sure if it was working correctly - let me know and I will take this into consideration or investigation. You can do that here, on the forum, on discord (there's now special subthread inside my own channel), or on github site (I wouldn't recommend that, as I can miss that info easily). I will be gathering them on discord for later use.

Now it's time to move on and code some new city-states for v15!!!

For an additional info you can always look here.

Code:
- added:
    - new City-States:
        - 2 Maritime CSs: SGang Gwaay (North America) and Adeje (North Africa);
        - 1 Militaristic CS: Wootei-Niicie (North America);
        - 1 Cultured CS: Nyar'yana Marq (North Asia);
        - 1 Religious CS: Karyes (South Europe);
    - new Resources:
        - Dogo Canario (exclusive for Adeje);
    - new Improvements:
        - Monastery (exclusive for Karyes);
        - Chum (exclusive for Nyar'yana Marq);
        - Totem Pole (exclusive for SGaang Gwaay);
    - new Promotions:
        - Master of Cold Waters (exclusive for SGaang Gwaay);
        - Climber of Mount Athos (exclusive for Karyes);
        - Deus Vult! (6th promotion exclusive to Clermont, that can be randomly chosen);
    - new Units:
        - Sisqeno (exclusive for Tiwanaku) and Sisqeno Worker (dummy unit; used only by the AI; exclusive for Tiwanaku);
- balanced:
    - reworked the CS passives system:
        - diplo actions in CS territory make them expand their border with 1/10th of the Influence value (mimicked the mechanics from Civ 6);
        - diplo actions in CS territory make them gain a small amount of HP depending on their personality (1 for Friendly, 2 for Neutral, 3 for Hostile);
            - this gain will be zeroed after conquering the City-State, so after liberating player must start from scratch;
        - each CS spawns unique Great Person Improvement on its territory after founding a city (stays from old system);
        - CSs gain additional bonuses depending on their traits:
            - friendly CSs have 1% chance of giving the Major player a type of civilian related to their trait (Worker, Workboat, Caravan, Cargo Ship, Missionary or Archaeologist) excluding Militaristic CSs (stays from old system);;
            - friendly Militaristic CSs have their gifting chance increased by 1% (stays from old system);
            - maritime, mercantile and militaristic CSs spawn an additional resource (bonus, luxury, strategic respectively) nearby (stays from old system)
            - cultured CSs spawns an archeological site nearby (stays from old system)
            - religious CSs instead of spawning anything have increased values of Religious Pressure and changed Religious Resistance values depending also on their personality:
                - Friendly: +10% Religious Pressure and -25% Conversion Resistance;
                - Neutral: +25% Religious Pressure;
                - Hostile: +40% Religious Pressure and +25% Conversion Resistance;
        - now CSs' passive abilities are hidden by default making the tootlip much more pleasant to watch; you can enable them back in the Bonuses.sql file changing "UCS-PASSIVES-SHOW" value from 0 to 1;
        - now CSs' passive can be disabled (enabled by default) in the Bonuses.sql file changing "UCS-PASSIVES-ON", "UCS-PASSIVES-BGP" or "UCS-PASSIVES-HP" value from 1 to 0;
        - rest of the stuff regarding passives, that were hard to understand, check or control are now deleted and will be substituted step by step by something new I have in my mind;
    - Colossal Head changes:
        - tech yields changed;
        - now has more base yields, less yields from being allied;
        - resources give Production instead of GAP;
        - got boost from New Deal policy like all GP improvements (Culture);
        - now improves Strategic Resources like any other GPTI;
    - Sunken Courtyard changes:
        - gained additional base Faith;
        - gained Science boost on Radar;
        - they can be build now by special Sisqeno units:
            - each Sisqeno can build only 1 Sunken Courtyard;
            - after building the Sunken Courtyard Sisqeno loses 1 Spread;
            - can only be built when Sisqeno has all of his charges (didn't perform his spread religion action);
    - Mound changes:
        - gained GGP boost on Military Science;
    - Clermont promotions changes:
        - now granted promotions are permanent instead of temporary (were 10-turn);
        - slightly nerfed down each of 5 promotions;
        - added 1 new promotion to the pool (Deus Vult!);
        - all random promotions have now unique colouring (like Bushido's or Kris' promotions) (@gwennog);
        - Blessing of Clermont now has "question mark" icon (like base Bushido's or Kris' promotions) (@gwennog);
    - Bedulu changes:
        - lost Faith from Sea resources;
        - gained Faith and Golden Age Points from City-State alliances;
        - gained Faith from International Sea Trade Routes;
    - Dano: added -10% Culture Expansion Cost;
    - Óc Eo: added +20% Sea Trade Route Range;
    - Djibouti: now gives +80% Production towards Settlers (was +100%) and +100% towards Granaries (was free Granary);
    - Zanzibar: now grants 1 Happiness per 1 active Trade Route;
    - Prague: its ability now activates on each religious unit that can spread a religion (Missionary, Prophet, Sisqeno and any UU);
    - all new improvements are treated as Unique Improvements, therefore gain yields from Civil Society (Food), Five Year Plan (Production) and Mobilization (Science) doctrines;
- changed:
    - Andorra's dummies now reordered ("*_2" is given by lua);
    - "building based" lua abilities now use GameEvents based on changing event status instead of turn ending (great increase on turn performance);
    - added Improvement_Flavors for all currently added improvements and a resource;
    - fake Caravan unit for Dali is now hidden in the tech tree;
- fixed (sorted by importance):
    - fixed an error in function on building construction (Oc Eo, Andorra, Thimphu, Rishikesh, Ragusa, Canossa, Wootei-niicie);
    - fixed Zanzibar's ability, so now it gives 1 Happiness per 1 Trade Route (was 0.75 per city connection);
    - fixed Thimphu lua function error;
    - fixed Thimphu dummies (now abilities are split; were in 1 dummy by mistake);
    - added new Sisqeno unit (unique Missionary) for Tiwanaku to allow the AI construct Sunken Courtyards (dumb AI was going straight for Spreading Religion mission);
    - added pillaged model for Colossal Head; Sunken Courtyard and Totem Poles have there regular models as pillaged ones added to fill the gaps (SC model is broken and Totem has no such);
    - added missing Defines for Food values gifted by CSs and modified few other values from Defines;
    - new UCS units are not allowed to be gifted by City-States;
    - lua functions checking building construction now relies on building class not building type of the constructed building;
    - dummy improvements now have yields (for worker assessing their automation tasks);
    - Parihaka and Nan Madol have now Polynesian artstyle;
    - Mujahideen promotion icon now uses Mountain symbol instead of a hill (@gwennog);
    - Mujahideen promotion now given only to military units (useless on civilians);
    - now making list of unique CSs' UUs is automated (previously done by hand);
        - fixed and simplified the code spawning these units that probably didn't work;
        - fixed Hunnic Battry Ram base unit, which now is Longswordman's replacement (was Spearman);
        - code now adjust to other modmods adding (maybe UCS?) or taking (MUC) such units;
    - Prague and Singapore now use bDelay instead of auxiliary variable for GameEvents.PreKill double trigger blocking;
    - lua cleaning and optimizations; cutting the number of used variables;
    - filled all remaining civilopedia gaps (@jarcast2);
    - corrected some of the civilopedia texts and added better formatting;
    - numerous text fixes (the most important):
        - Thimphu lacked its 2nd ability description;
        - improvement GAIN bonuses from adjacent Mountains, not GRANT bonuses to them (tested);
        - some information of the Hong Kong ability now hidden (to shorten the text length);

Spoiler New City-States :

1691512052035.png

1691512065156.png

1691512075919.png

1691512094892.png

1691512102821.png

Attachments

• (overhaul) Unique City States for VP (v14).7z
    8.9 MB · Views: 494
  • 2023-08-08_17h29_01.png
    2023-08-08_17h29_01.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Ok, listen guys. If v13 were a shock to y'all, because of the amount of content, then v14 will cause you to have a heart attack!

Work on the UCS haven't stopped, yet. I decided to continue the job with help of my fellows @gwennog, @jarcast2 and @Flamingcheesepie, without whom I wouldn't reached that far.

Ok, to the meritum. This update contains some trivial things like new City-States with new improvements or promotions. It contains also a new resource! Yes you heard right. Beside that there are tons of bugfixes (ones for fresh things introduced in v13, some for old ones, very old ones). There are some of balance changes and many gameplay-wise additions, that weren't done because I have no time or idea that it should be done.

There are also new civilopedia texts, so no more gaps (everything thanks to @jarcast2). I truly recommend you to read them, as they are really interesting in some cases. We plan to rework some of the original UCS texts, because they are so short, making them really useless.
Spoiler ??? :

And this is a cherry on top:
Spoiler Just wow! :

I think you'll like it. Read the detailed changelog to see what was done, and keep an eye on the forum, because v15 is already planned and ready to be coded!

As an addition, once more the important information, that you can post (and it is very likely to hear from me) any experience from latest versions of UCS. When you meet a city-state and you think its ability was too strong, too weak or just wrong, if you weren't sure if it was working correctly - let me know and I will take this into consideration or investigation. You can do that here, on the forum, on discord (there's now special subthread inside my own channel), or on github site (I wouldn't recommend that, as I can miss that info easily). I will be gathering them on discord for later use.

Now it's time to move on and code some new city-states for v15!!!

For an additional info you can always look here.

Code:
- added:
    - new City-States:
        - 2 Maritime CSs: SGaang Gwaay (North America) and Adeje (North Africa);
        - 1 Militaristic CS: Wootei-Niicie (North America);
        - 1 Cultured CS: Nyar'yana Marq (North Asia);
        - 1 Religious CS: Karyes (South Europe);
    - new Resources:
        - Dogo Canario (exclusive for Adeje);
    - new Improvements:
        - Monastery (exclusive for Karyes);
        - Chum (exclusive for Nyar'yana Marq);
        - Totem Pole (exclusive for SGaang Gwaay);
    - new Promotions:
        - Master of Cold Waters (exclusive for SGaang Gwaay);
        - Climber of Mount Athos (exclusive for Karyes);
        - Deus Vult! (6th promotion exclusive to Clermont, that can be randomly chosen);
    - new Units:
        - Sisqeno (exclusive for Tiwanaku) and Sisqeno Worker (dummy unit; used only by the AI; exclusive for Tiwanaku);
- balanced:
    - reworked the CS passives system:
        - diplo actions in CS territory make them expand their border with 1/10th of the Influence value (mimicked the mechanics from Civ 6);
        - diplo actions in CS territory make them gain a small amount of HP depending on their personality (1 for Friendly, 2 for Neutral, 3 for Hostile);
            - this gain will be zeroed after conquering the City-State, so after liberating player must start from scratch;
        - each CS spawns unique Great Person Improvement on its territory after founding a city (stays from old system);
        - CSs gain additional bonuses depending on their traits:
            - friendly CSs have 1% chance of giving the Major player a type of civilian related to their trait (Worker, Workboat, Caravan, Cargo Ship, Missionary or Archaeologist) excluding Militaristic CSs (stays from old system);;
            - friendly Militaristic CSs have their gifting chance increased by 1% (stays from old system);
            - maritime, mercantile and militaristic CSs spawn an additional resource (bonus, luxury, strategic respectively) nearby (stays from old system)
            - cultured CSs spawns an archeological site nearby (stays from old system)
            - religious CSs instead of spawning anything have increased values of Religious Pressure and changed Religious Resistance values depending also on their personality:
                - Friendly: +10% Religious Pressure and -25% Conversion Resistance;
                - Neutral: +25% Religious Pressure;
                - Hostile: +40% Religious Pressure and +25% Conversion Resistance;
        - now CSs' passive abilities are hidden by default making the tootlip much more pleasant to watch; you can enable them back in the Bonuses.sql file changing "UCS-PASSIVES-SHOW" value from 0 to 1;
        - now CSs' passive can be disabled (enabled by default) in the Bonuses.sql file changing "UCS-PASSIVES-ON", "UCS-PASSIVES-BGP" or "UCS-PASSIVES-HP" value from 1 to 0;
        - rest of the stuff regarding passives, that were hard to understand, check or control are now deleted and will be substituted step by step by something new I have in my mind;
    - Colossal Head changes:
        - tech yields changed;
        - now has more base yields, less yields from being allied;
        - resources give Production instead of GAP;
        - got boost from New Deal policy like all GP improvements (Culture);
        - now improves Strategic Resources like any other GPTI;
    - Sunken Courtyard changes:
        - gained additional base Faith;
        - gained Science boost on Radar;
        - they can be build now by special Sisqeno units:
            - each Sisqeno can build only 1 Sunken Courtyard;
            - after building the Sunken Courtyard Sisqeno loses 1 Spread;
            - can only be built when Sisqeno has all of his charges (didn't perform his spread religion action);
    - Mound changes:
        - gained GGP boost on Military Science;
    - Clermont promotions changes:
        - now granted promotions are permanent instead of temporary (were 10-turn);
        - slightly nerfed down each of 5 promotions;
        - added 1 new promotion to the pool (Deus Vult!);
        - all random promotions have now unique colouring (like Bushido's or Kris' promotions) (@gwennog);
        - Blessing of Clermont now has "question mark" icon (like base Bushido's or Kris' promotions) (@gwennog);
    - Bedulu changes:
        - lost Faith from Sea resources;
        - gained Faith and Golden Age Points from City-State alliances;
        - gained Faith from International Sea Trade Routes;
    - Dano: added -10% Culture Expansion Cost;
    - Óc Eo: added +20% Sea Trade Route Range;
    - Djibouti: now gives +80% Production towards Settlers (was +100%) and +100% towards Granaries (was free Granary);
    - Zanzibar: now grants 1 Happiness per 1 active Trade Route;
    - Prague: its ability now activates on each religious unit that can spread a religion (Missionary, Prophet, Sisqeno and any UU);
    - all new improvements are treated as Unique Improvements, therefore gain yields from Civil Society (Food), Five Year Plan (Production) and Mobilization (Science) doctrines;
- changed:
    - Andorra's dummies now reordered ("*_2" is given by lua);
    - "building based" lua abilities now use GameEvents based on changing event status instead of turn ending (great increase on turn performance);
    - added Improvement_Flavors for all currently added improvements and a resource;
    - fake Caravan unit for Dali is now hidden in the tech tree;
- fixed (sorted by importance):
    - fixed an error in function on building construction (Oc Eo, Andorra, Thimphu, Rishikesh, Ragusa, Canossa, Wootei-niicie);
    - fixed Zanzibar's ability, so now it gives 1 Happiness per 1 Trade Route (was 0.75 per city connection);
    - fixed Thimphu lua function error;
    - fixed Thimphu dummies (now abilities are split; were in 1 dummy by mistake);
    - added new Sisqeno unit (unique Missionary) for Tiwanaku to allow the AI construct Sunken Courtyards (dumb AI was going straight for Spreading Religion mission);
    - added pillaged model for Colossal Head; Sunken Courtyard and Totem Poles have there regular models as pillaged ones added to fill the gaps (SC model is broken and Totem has no such);
    - added missing Defines for Food values gifted by CSs and modified few other values from Defines;
    - new units are not allowed to be gifted by City-States;
    - lua functions checking building construction now relies on building class not building type of the constructed building;
    - dummy improvements now have yields (for worker assessing their automation tasks);
    - Parihaka and Nan Madol have now Polynesian artstyle;
    - Mujahideen promotion icon now uses Mountain symbol instead of a hill (@gwennog);
    - Mujahideen promotion now given only to military units (useless on civilians);
    - now making list of unique CSs' UUs is automated (previously done by hand);
        - fixed and simplified the code spawning these units that probably didn't work;
        - fixed Hunnic Battry Ram base unit, which now is Longswordman's replacement (was Spearman);
        - code now adjust to other modmods adding (maybe UCS?) or taking (MUC) such units;
    - Prague and Singapore now use bDelay instead of auxiliary variable for GameEvents.PreKill double trigger blocking;
    - lua cleaning and optimizations; cutting the number of used variables;
    - filled all remaining civilopedia gaps (@jarcast2);
    - corrected some of the civilopedia texts and added better formatting;
    - numerous text fixes (the most important):
        - Thimphu lacked its 2nd ability description;
        - improvement GAIN bonuses from adjacent Mountains, not GRANT bonuses to them (tested);
        - some information of the Hong Kong ability now hidden (to shorten the text length);

Wow, that is really impressive! I've been considering trying out this mod once again for a while now, but this update definitely pushed me for it, can't wait to try it out! Fantastic work my friend! :)

Wow, that is really impressive! I've been considering trying out this mod once again for a while now, but this update definitely pushed me for it, can't wait to try it out! Fantastic work my friend! :)
Thanks. Now I feel this mod is really well shaped. I hope more people will eventually try it out. I know there are many hesitating or who just don't want to play it. I do everything to encourage them :) . Remember to download all satellite modmods (CSL, PO and MC).

Last edited:
Map updated. I hope you will be satisfied @JNZS13 ;)

It's not consistent, but sometimes workers can't replace new CS UI or even put a road over it.
Workers had a tendency to change the UI after finishing another and so on, especially when UI lost yields from Alliance.
So I blocked that and you can only change the UI when there's a resource on it. Roads got probably with a ricochette of that change. I will look at that.

Today I received a CS quest to build Potala Palace wonder. Probably unintended, because it was an ancient era and I hadn't even met Lhasa (as if it would help)

Top Bottom