Unique unit elimination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 30 = (29+1) Absolutely the best unit here. Free builders is too good of a trait to ignore, and really stands out as a unique ability among the other units who just buff combat strength in one way or another.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 7
Mamluk (Arabia) - 34
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 44
War Cart (Sumer) - 39= (42-3) A good unit, but it doesn't provide a big economic benefit like the Eagle Warrior, and in my opinion it's the weakest of the remaining combat buffs.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 30
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 7-3 = 4 Suffers from a) slow movement and b) not being as good as Eagle Warrior
Mamluk (Arabia) - 34
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 44+1 = 45 I've said this before, but archers are already great, and the PA just improves them so much more. It easily wipes barbarians if your start's isolated.
War Cart (Sumer) - 39

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 20 = 23 - 3. I downvoted for them last time, so I guess I'll stick with that.
Legion (Rome) - 5 = 4 + 1. Probably a wasted vote but whatever. I won't get the chance to vote for them again.

Mamluk (Arabia) - 34
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 45
War Cart (Sumer) - 39

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 31 (30 + 1) I think Pitati Archer is the best unit, but the Eagle Warrior is the second best unit because of the reasons already mentioned
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 20
Legion (Rome) - 5
Mamluk (Arabia) - 34
War Cart (Sumer) - 36 (39 - 3) Like the Eagle Warrior, this unit is available from the start, but the Eagle Warrior is better because its ability also help you build your cities, War Cart just let you kill stuff

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 28=31-3 These guys can make you very fast science victories, but they dont guarantee a win. Theres a big difference.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 21 =20+1 At this point Ill upvote those units that are so strong that to win on Deity it suffices to spam the units indefinitely until youve killed everything.
Legion (Rome) - 5
Mamluk (Arabia) - 34
War Cart (Sumer) - 36

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 28
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 21
Legion (Rome) - 5
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31 (34 - 3) There's nothing wrong with this unit, but it does appear later than the other remaining units, and as such will not influence the early game to the same degree.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 46 (45 + 1) Still the best unique unit. With regards to an earlier comment about how it stacks up in combat to the other Ancient Era UU's which are left: I believe the Pitati has the edge. For one thing, its effective base cost is 47, compared to 65 for the Eagle Warrior and 55 for the War-Cart. That means you get 7 Pitatis for every 5 Eagles, or every 6 War-Carts, which is a small advantage for the Pitati. Strength is pretty much the same for all three. When it comes to speed, it is very hard for an Eagle Warrior to even get to strike at a Pitati before getting destroyed. With the War-Cart, it is a closer competition, as it is fast enough to keep up with and even overrun the Pitati. In the situation where you have 1 War-Cart vs 1 Pitati Archer, and mostly open terrain, I believe the War-Cart will win many of the times. Still, I believe the Pitati wins most of the times in a real battle where there are more units in the field, because of range. While melee units can only attack the 6 hexes adjacent to them, ranged units have up to 18 hexes available. This makes it a lot easier to focus fire, without sacrificing position, giving it a clear tactical advantage. Furthermore, the range means that Pitati Archers don't take any damage when they strike. It also means it is possible to attack safely while protected either by a city, or other units. Finally, the Pitati synergizes with Nubia's increased experience gain for ranged units. Just by being a ranged unit which can reach more tiles means it will be able to strike more frequently (and without taking damage), earning it more experience than the melee units. On top of that, +50% for belonging to Nubia. More experience means additional combat strength, as well as heals in combat.
War Cart (Sumer) - 36

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 28 +1 = 29 relative score too low imho
Legion (Rome) - 5
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 46 - 3 =43 let's bring them down a notch , they are far too high.
War Cart (Sumer) - 36

Still the same view despites what was said, I feel aztec line-up is at least on par with nubia's.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 29 + 1 = 30 (Pitatis may have an edge in pure combat but they sure as heck don't get you any builders the impact of which cannot be overstated. They also can't capture cities. Throw in Oligarchy and a decent amount of luxuries and Eagles will be fueling your empire for some time. I never seem to have enough builder charges even with China but never a problem with the Aztecs. On higher difficulties there are just more units around early to kill)
Legion (Rome): 5 - 3 = 2 (Has lots of supporters and sticking around but the +4 combat strength is only half of what the Eagle gets and one paltry charge does doesn't compare to multiple builders plus you need to make it to iron working. I'll take my chances with a 28 strength warrior from turn 1. Legion is easily the worst left)
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 43
War Cart (Sumer) - 36

Last edited:
Legion (Rome) - ELIMINATED (2-3) It's a strong melee unit, but it's still a melee unit. Low movement really kills in Civ 6.
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 43
War Cart (Sumer) - 37 (36 + 1) Second strongest unit behind Pitati I'd say. Scary.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 27 = -3, the eagle has to win to, sometimes, get the builder, against other UU that could be difficult.
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 44 = +1, In an early fight the Pitati edges it. Offensive and defensive.
War Cart (Sumer) - 37

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 24 (27 - 1) They are a great unit don't get me wrong, but they're only melee, and can be made redundant by later units quite quickly.
Mamluk (Arabia) - 31
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 45 (44 + 1) Great for Archer rushes, can move onto hills or into forest / jungles and still fire, and can almost keep up with cavalry.
War Cart (Sumer) - 37

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 24
Mamluk (Arabia) - 28 (31-3) - It's a very strong unit and comes early enough to still be relevant. They are game changing but this is the latest era UU rush still on the list.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 46 (45+1) - Started a new game as Nubia and confirmed my beliefs. These guys are just sick. They will chew through units and even tear down walls. Their only downside is they need a horse or club to cap a city which you'll need a couple anyway to absorb some damage. These guys just fit my style of play and honestly that's how this list is finishing out. I don't usually run domination games but it is universally beneficial to sack your neighbor ASAP and these guys get the job done in spades and promoted units stick around to defend your ill-gotten and well-earned gains for most of the game. If you are a domination player, Warcart and Hetairoi are better for pure offense. if you are an empire builder, Eagle Warrior I think would appeal. I think the top 6 rankings (yep, Legion too) could all be considered a Tier 1 UU. The ordering inside the tier shouldn't even matter except to how they mix with your playstyle and desired goals in a game.

War Cart (Sumer) - 37

Mamluk (Arabia) - 25 (28-3) Unfortunately too late compared to what is left.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 46
War Cart (Sumer) - 38 (37+1) These guys doesn't need to bother about terrain to kill things, they just do it. Movement is key!

I'm guessing it'll end up Pitati <- War Cart <-EagleWarrior <- Hetairoi <- Mamluk.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 22 (21 + 1) These guys will need to go soon, but they are better than the Mamluks, if slightly. Free promo, GG generation, and the fact that you are incentivized to build these guys instead of campuses means that you've conquered your nearest ally before you even notice.
Mamluk (Arabia) - 22 (25 - 3) Worst of what's remaining.
War Cart (Sumer) - 38

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 23 (22+1) --- +1 vote for the Hetairoi as explained previously.
Another advantage of the Hetairoi is once you get going you don’t have to stop and allow your opponents regroup or your potential opponents to create defenses. So long as you stay with a great general the timeliness of a knight upgrade is essentially optional and therefore you can carry on for quite some time. As luck would have it, you also don’t accumulate war weariness (but that’s not a Hetairoi advantage, it’s an advantage for all Macedonian units). This contrasts with my down vote on the other premiere early game heavy cav unit, the warcart. Warcarts are useful in the early and perhaps very early mid game but almost always require a cool down period between their peak power niche and the knight upgrade. This turns your blitzkrieg (lightning war) to a schneckekrieg (snail war) and gives your opponents time to catch their breath, adjust their strategy, make changes and what-not.

Mamluk (Arabia) - 22
War Cart (Sumer) – 35 (38-3) --- These things can start to get really fragile late in the campaign to conquer your nearest civ if the campaign lingers on for too long. I’ll grant you that with the opening strength of warcarts that doesn’t happen particularly often, and you can usually annex the nearest civ and a couple of city states with relative ease. The real problem here is that you have to cool down between the period of the warcart’s peak power relative to peers and the advent of the knight upgrade (allowing your opponents or potential opponents time to gather intelligence, fortify and regroup).

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 23
Mamluk (Arabia) - 22
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 43 (46 - 3) - Hey, I've found a legit reason to downvote this. It can't take cities alone! :D
War Cart (Sumer) – 36 (35 + 1) - And this one can!

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 23
Mamluk (Arabia) - 19 (22-3) Super good, but not as much as the others left.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 44 (43+1) simply the best.
War Cart (Sumer) – 36

at this point it becomes hard to justify , it's really the relative balance of each super good unit that I alter.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 23 +1 = 24 as good as eagle , pitati and war cart imho
Mamluk (Arabia) - 19
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 44 -3 = 41 too high a gap. Just toned it down a notch
War Cart (Sumer) – 36

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 24 - 3 = 21 The only unit with 2-move remaining. Getting builders is amazing, but these guys will not win games by themselves, and they are very hit-and-miss on deity due to the +4 combat bonus the AI gets. If you get an early kill with your starting eagle and get agoge boost with a bunch of mining/camp luxuries then yes, you will have one heck of an eagle rush. But, unless you take AI cities very early, these cost too many hammers to fight against production from deity AI's 3 starting cities. Same goes for war cart actually, but those guys upgrade to knights and so even if your rush runs out of steam they don't become useless... although they may have to sit around for a few turns waiting for the tech. Upgrading the eagle guys to the sucky swordsmen generic units however is a sheer waste of money that could've been spent upgrading your chariots to knights.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 24 + 1 = 25 IMO this unit is top 1 if you are talking about deity domination. So much mileage and by the time these guys fall off, you'd have knight tech centuries ago. For easier difficulties, where war cart and pitati can take out half the map because they get much longer mileage due to weaker AI, maybe it is only top 5.

Mamluk (Arabia) - 19
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 41 too high a gap. Just toned it down a notch
War Cart (Sumer) – 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom