Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

Well on poser 7 demo you can't save your files so....I pretty much solved my own question. Bjorn told me they're giving away bryce 5 for free so I'm gonna dl that

From what I remember, Daz Studio is somewhat like Poser, and it's free.

Bryce functions differently to Poser, working of booleans rather than off skeletons.

hmm. Okay then. Ill try and find daz studios.

If you for some reason come across a link to the daz studios for free, then it would be awesome if you posted it here.

Sorry for double post. Nevermind about the link, I found one.

trans maps are used to erase all or part of something. Assuming poser since it is in this thread, in the material room you add it to the square which says transparencies.

Since your handle is rifleman...
If you have a UV mapped rifle (a rifle with a template file), you can load the template in your paint program. You paint the areas white that you want to keep, black that you want to erase or gray if you want a ghosty effect.. since a ghost rifle would be silly.... you select the rifle, apply the transmap you made which has a black for most of the barrel, black for most of the rear stock and voila you just turned your rifle in to a pistol.
This can be especially useful for complex objects with independent textures for the different parts. For example, the crown I made... you want a plain one with no red velvet inner hat, no gems. In this case you load a all black image and apply it to those parts which are to disappear completely. And you are left with a plain gold crown.
Suppose you find a long robe for PDF and you wanna make it a bit racy.... you can use transmaps to make it a miniskirt (erase the lower portions, erase the sleeves, create a plunging neckline.... you could even load some skin tight pants underneath and with a brown basic color and a medium gray transmap she has pantyhose.... or with a checkered transmap she is in fishnet stockings.

Hey Bjorn,

The problem I've run into is where to put the maps?

What 'node' do we plug the trans map into? I've tried using it as a 2D Texture image map in the Transparency node and the Edge and Falloff nodes. None of these have done anything.

Where do they go, and is there anything else that needs to be done?

I figure this isn't something that needs it's own tutorial, but I'd like to figure this out.

It should be applied to the Transparency node. Make Edge and Falloff 100% (don't apply it to them).

If it's still not working, post a screenshot of your Materials Room and perhaps we can see what the problem is.

I might have been wrong about those settings - I can never remember what the correct settings are for them, and invariably have to do a bit of trial and error every time I want to use a transparency (when I should just write it down once and for all...). Make sure you do a test render to check, as the appearance may be slightly different from in the preview.

I use poser 7, so I just click in the large gray box under transparency. It gives me the dialog to navigate to the image (transmap). I typically only adjust the opacity/transparency and leave all other settings alone. If I load an image which is all black (for example to erase some object completely), I load a tiny (16pixel x 16 pixel) all black image (I suppose a 1x1pixel would work but it would make it hard to see the thumbnail). I dial the transparency to 100% and it disappears. You can click on the advanced tab and apply it there too. I have from time to time had to go in there and tweak settings... but not too often.

i have another problem UVmapper wont let me save the kilt as a .TIF file it'll only let me save it as a .UVS file what do i do?

in hope of saving lots of reading.. i am purely trying to find out how to use unit graphics DL from this site???

Can this be done with Poser 1?

Hello! Sorry for the thread necromancy from... good lord, 2010.
I've been wanting to get back into Civ 3 for nostalgia reasons. This time, I want to try putting together a mod and making some units for it.
But honestly, I'm intimidated by all of this. Especially the price tags for programs involved. So I want to start small and simple.
If I want to simply recolor/reskin existing units, or maybe convert units from other games, how hard would that be? Would I still need that grocery list of programs mentioned at the start of this thread?

Last edited:
Top Bottom