1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit requests thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Thunderfall, Feb 5, 2006.

1. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Bernie14 made a Union and Confederate cannon/gun, and I believe he also made riflemen. I have a unit that has both black and white Union soldiers with two different uniform types in my American Industrial set. And I am pretty sure there are plenty of civil war mods out there you could rip units from.

Also Bernie made Generals Grant and Lee as GGs. Not to mention a few types of ironclads out there. I am sure you could find all of this stuff if you just sat down for a while and looked around the database.

EDIT: Damn it, I bumped my own request..

2. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

TheCapo: Remember when I said I knew what was wrong with your musket? Well I ws wrong. But I think I have fixed it. There were a few things wrong with it that Ill list here:

1) first off there was no scene root. Very important this scene root, without it I dont think the unit will animate.

2) there were all kinds of things in the nif that I dont understand like collision data for every node. I take it you are using blender, as I find all kinds of wierd things like extraneous properites and prop buffers, with blender made units. So I chunked your skeleton (sorry, it had to be done) and attatched it to a musketman.

3) None of your meshes had skin partitions. So I made them all for ya. Also remade the gloss map, because you left it out. But now its all shiny and stuff, and it will be a shader nif.

4) It looks ok animated. But there is going to be clipping with that strap around his chest. Also there is wierdness with the musket man animation deforming his arms, but i dont think there is anything you can do about that. The head will appear a little further back in some animations due to the way you have it cut and partly because the musketman animation is a little wierd. See pics. Havent tested it in game just in nifskope and scene viewer.

View attachment Musketman.zip
    Musket.JPG Musket_IDLE.JPG

3. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I only know how to use Blender :( .

Maybe I should just stick to making leaderheads.

4. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Dont say that. I didnt know what the hell i was doing 3 months ago either. Im not talking bad about blender. Its just in some blender made units, the creator uses alot of extraneous properties. Things like the Collision Datas that I dont understand. Im sure they do something, but I also know they arent necessary in units and cause confusion. And the skin partition thing, I think was breaking your model as well. This unit stuff is practically child's play compared to Lh's, and with the quality of all your LH's, you should be able to do some good units. Youve already made alot of great looking units, not knowing what youre doing.

One other thing: You had the forearm bones named ForeArm instead of Forearm. You wouldnt think that would matter but apparently nifskope says it does.

5. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Well thanks, its not that I'm just giving up altogether. As you have seen from that list of units I sent you I have a lot to make. The mod is going to take a long time to finish because not only do I have to learn some coding, but I also have to figure out a few new future techs (I'm making an expanded modern/future era, although not too expanded), some new units and buildings for new religions, some altered UUs (for certain civs), and a host of new LHs. So its a big job, anytime I hit a snag what I'll do is move on to something else and come back to it at a later date.

So far I have made some American, Portuguese, Dutch, Arab, and Mongolian industrial-era units, but I have a lot more to go.

6. candle

candle Prince

well how would i go about making my units

7. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I just explained a couple of posts ago where you can find most of what you are looking for. Beyond that you just have to mess around with things.

8. candle

candle Prince

I found sevral but alot say they need an animation file from Civ4 which I do not own. Hince my problem

9. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

So why are you looking for Civ4 units then?

10. candle

candle Prince

the engine is the excat same engine and the units import actully, I just need them with an animation file, the Civ4:Col Engine and the Civ4 Engine are the excat same.

11. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

Look for a .kfm file and some .kf files.

12. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Some units come with all the animation files included. It might be worth it to download and check.

13. Kathy

Kathy King

Sorry, I tried to use this unit in the same way I normale add units to my mod, but the games crashed. I think you really can not use it in normal civ. I wonder, because in importet some colonization units in my game, and they work.

14. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I think the boats in Col work differently because the water is not the same at all (you can't use Col water in Civ4, so I assume the same applies to the ships).

15. candle

candle Prince

Civ4 units can go into Col not sure in reverse, as Col is running on a heavily modified engine

16. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

I dont think its because of what you said. The model crashes scene viewer when I try to load it. Nifskope loads it, but I cant for the life of me figure out whats wrong. Ive stripped it down to the bare mesh without any properites and it still crashes scene viewer.

17. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Sometimes something can be wrong with the mesh in weird ways that the Civ-engine doesn't like - and crashes it (especially if you tinker with it a lot or removed/fiddled around with skin partitions). NifSkope is way more tolerant. One thing that often helps is importing the model into blender, removing all bones and stuff until only the bare textured mesh is left (also remove vertex groups, if there are any) and then re-exporting - because the export usually produces a clean, working nif.

Of course, this kills all animations, shaders etc., so you need to rebone it afterwards and add teamcolour/glossmaps/shaders etc.

Cheers, LT.

18. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Yeah already did that, maybe I didnt clean it up as good as I shouldve. Thing is this thing is crashing the very first time I opened it.

EDIT: Ok maybe I did something wrong before. Just did a simple import/export without touching anything and now it opens in sceneviewer.

19. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Nudden, I have got the Colonization Man o war working, well it doesnt crash anymore atleast. I even provided and alternate "HMS Victory" skin, with an extra union jack in the aft.
    View attachment 221591
    View attachment 221592

20. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

That looks really awesome actually. Nice work Achilles.