1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit requests thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Thunderfall, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

So basically, friend, feel free to use either Bf. or Me. :D

2. 09camaro

09camaro Rules 1 + 2!!

ok (10 chars)

3. Xenomorph

Xenomorph King

There was also the problem of retooling factories. Before WWII, they could have done it easily, but by 1944 they were being bombed so heavily that a mass factory retooling would have taken too long. Other nations like Japan and Italy simply didn't have the base industry to pull off a large retooling, which is why Japan kept using the Zero long after it was painfully obsolete.

4. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

The FW-190 appeared in numbers by 1941... retooling by Germany could have been done long before they were being bombed (America wasn't even in the war when the FW-190 made its debut).

Allied nations retooled their factories all the time (America wasn't still making the M3-Grant or F4F Wildcat in 1944)... the Germans just had a problem concentrating on successful designs.

5. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

-->Xenomorph: When you realize that, as the result of allied bombing, Germany's 27 original aircraft production and assembly centers were broken up and dispersed to almost 300 separate locations (the plan called for more than 700), any "mass retooling" had to have become unbelievably complicated. It was tough enough just to maintain master tools and jigs for existing models... let alone new ones. Yet, the Luftwaffe accepted more than 11,000 FW190 of all types for the year of 1944! This is nuts. I didn't have the numbers for the FW190D9 specifically though.

6. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Funny, "Allied bombing" was all but non-existant in 1941... the Germans could have decided to retool to the FW-190 in 1941.

7. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

First I wasn't responding to you. Second I was focusing on the FW190D which is where the discussion started. And third I was talking about 1944... and there was no FW190D9 in 1941 anyway.

8. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

First, I'm allowed to respond to whoever I feel like... Second, I've been saying all along they should have switched to the FW190A, because I'm not all obsessed about the Dora-9 which came too late in the war to make a differance... and third, I was talking about 1941, and there was a FW190A in 1941 anyways.

9. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

10. 09camaro

09camaro Rules 1 + 2!!

your both wrong
    which makes you both right. :lol:
    typically the model A's of any type are usually pre-production.
    pre-production models are still combat worthy, but they aren't fully optimized. later models add more to the original design to see what it can do. typically, the model D's are best optimized for universal combat and the role it was originally intended to fill. most later models become specialized variants. this is visible in the P-51, the F-15, and nearly all other aircraft.

11. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Ummm... you couldn't be further from the truth.

You're making assumption, after assumption after assumption, and forming a lot of wrong conclusions.

Version numbers are NOT standardized across multiple models from multiple nations... there's no golden rule that "A"s are pre-production and that "D"s are "intended role".

The FW-190A (series) was a full production model. There were multiple models of the FW-190A, but in 1941 this aircraft could out-run, out-climb, and out-dive the best fighter the Royal Airforce had – the Spitfire V. It was also already in mass-production in 1941. In fact, there were 10 full-production varients of the FW-190A model.

To further blow away your incorrect assumption, there were in-fact, 4,677 FW-190As built during the war and only 674 FW-190Ds built.

12. 09camaro

09camaro Rules 1 + 2!!

numbers do not blow this fish out of the water.
    and i have massive gaps in military knowledge that need to be filled.
    the examples i used were AMERICAN... so...
    my ignorance shows.

13. Xenomorph

Xenomorph King

Ah, I stand corrected.
    I remember reading that part of the decision to go with the Me-109 was one of politics; Hitler favored Messerschmidt and so that guy got more contracts. The book I believe I remember reading it from was "Aircraft of the Second World War" from Putnam's History of Aircraft collection.

14. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

I trying to create my own mod however i do not of the artist ability to create it, so here is my request:

basic catapult: going to use standard graphics here with a range attack of 1, already done, pretty simple in fact

Siege defense catapult: Requires city wall to build, cannot move range attack of 2, Don't have the artist ability to do, nor can I figure out a way to let it attack without moving.

Siege defense cannon: same as above but later era,range 3

The big gun: same as above, but ww2 era, range 4, or whatever make since

a possible variant on the theme would be to let workers, or maybe a special siege engineer (sacrificed) to create these unit on forts

thanks for any input

15. cameronpollett

cameronpollett Chieftain

Can anybody get me and musket men with a musketeers head?

16. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Would this musketman do?

17. cameronpollett

cameronpollett Chieftain

well i was looking to have them fused to make a Arquebusier

18. hun+celt

hun+celt Chieftain

Would someone be able to design a unit using the modern workboat graphics with an attack sequence? I'm looking for a unit that will represent the modern pirates that currently operate off the East African coast and the islands of the Southwest Pacific.

19. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

That would be cool - I'll see if I can't slap something together in the next couple days. One more last thing to do.

20. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Sounds like fun! Expect it in a day or so.