(Update) Site Upgrades are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the smilies on your phone, the built in ones are similar in number and variety.
My phone is a landline and has no smileys. It has no sense of humor whatsoever.

I don't like most of the modern smileys. They lack the character of those created by artists such as Millan, Viannen, Balaam, The Fool, Aiwan, and numerous others. I used to belong to a smiley forum that had a database of over 10,000 smileys, most of which were Invision-style, and we were constantly creating more. We have a few Invision smileys here. It's a tossup with some of them, whether I prefer the Invision style or The Fool's style (his are smaller and cuter).

My phone is a landline and has no smileys. It has no sense of humor whatsoever.

I don't like most of the modern smileys. They lack the character of those created by artists such as Millan, Viannen, Balaam, The Fool, Aiwan, and numerous others. I used to belong to a smiley forum that had a database of over 10,000 smileys, most of which were Invision-style, and we were constantly creating more. We have a few Invision smileys here. It's a tossup with some of them, whether I prefer the Invision style or The Fool's style (his are smaller and cuter).
Yes I know you have a land line. My post was directed at the other 99.9% of the posters. You are an outlier.

Yes I know you have a land line. My post was directed at the other 99.9% of the posters. You are an outlier.
Does that make my opinion of smileys and the artists invalid? I've been privileged to interact with and see the creative process of several of them over the years. Of course I'm concerned that their work not be lost. Every forum that uses modern defaults and not older ones means the older ones get closer to disappearing, since newer/younger forum users either have never seen them or don't remember them as much.

Smiley-making is an international art form (Millan is Swedish, but lives in the U.S., Aiwan is Russian, Balaam is Canadian, and I think there are a couple of others from Eastern Europe, plus the other American and Canadian artists). This is one of the reasons I would like us to keep the ones we already have, regardless of what others may be added as modern defaults.

Does that make my opinion of smileys and the artists invalid?
My smilie post was not directed at you and was an informational post about the new version of Xenforo. It was not about you or the validity of your opinions.

On a separate note, when posting there is a "more options" drop down that enters spoiler tags.

My smilie post was not directed at you and was an informational post about the new version of Xenforo. It was not about you or the validity of your opinions.

On a separate note, when posting there is a "more options" drop down that enters spoiler tags.
:rolleyes:

Translation: "I wasn't talking to you, so shut up."

This one is definitely about the validity of my opinions, isn't it? :huh:

I see no reason to use spoiler tags for something that doesn't need them. I am explaining why I think it's important to preserve the smileys we have.

Moderator Action: This thread is supposed to be for information for the community concerning upgrades. Please do not hijack it for other purposes.

I see no reason to use spoiler tags for something that doesn't need them. I am explaining why I think it's important to preserve the smileys we have.

CFC emojis are part of the site's heritage. From xenForo's website,

Users can make full use of emoji in their messages, even on devices that don't fully support them, and community-specific emoticons can be added through our custom smilie system.

The upgrades are really nice. Lots and lots of built in emojies. Pretty similar to what we have now as far as posting.

atm not all of the keyboard generated emojies work, but there may be substitutes in the library.

These did not:
:woohoo:
:mischief:
:hatsoff:
Can't you just download and then re-upload them or do they just not work?

Can't you just download and then re-upload them or do they just not work?
idk, I'm not a tech guy! I just typed them in and hit post and nothing happened.

Two days fewer of postcount and then we get ‘up’graded to another Xenforo without even our customary smileys? A ridiculous number of posts would be left with weird pieces of text in between if you didn't add them back.

Two days fewer of postcount and then we get ‘up’graded to another Xenforo without even our customary smileys? A ridiculous number of posts would be left with weird pieces of text in between if you didn't add them back.
We will be quite happy to adjust your pc when the new version comes up. :mischief:

I'll creatively construe that as CFC deciding to chip in and buy me a new high-end gaming computer.

Also, can we have the member list feature actually work properly? Not that I mind being in the hall of fame for biggest postcounts, but I already know my postcount.

I'll creatively construe that as CFC deciding to chip in and buy me a new high-end gaming computer.
What is wrong with the one you have now? Is it miscounting your posts?

Also, can we have the member list feature actually work properly? Not that I mind being in the hall of fame for biggest postcounts, but I already know my postcount.

From the screenshots posted earlier in the thread, it does seem the Members Section will get a lot more detailed if chosen, specifically "See More" I am hoping leads to a list of all members, arranged by that stat?

Customisable member stats

The old member list page has now been replaced by an all-new, customizable member statistics system. Individual statistics (such as members with the most posts, most recently-registered members etc.) can be built using an interface in the admin control panel, and are then displayed as an expandable block on the members page.

https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/member-stats-1-png.156940/

Posting this reminds me how essential (and missing) a "quick quote" button is. Tiresome how often I am typing it out.

From the screenshots posted earlier in the thread, it does seem the Members Section will get a lot more detailed if chosen, specifically "See More" I am hoping leads to a list of all members, arranged by that stat?
Yes, I am looking forward to playing around with that.

We have that already, just highlight the text you want to quote and two buttons should appear as hover text (quote+ and reply).

True, but I meant when bringing articles etc from elsewhere on the web..
or simply wanting to put part of your post within quotes for emphasis etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom