US Congresswoman shot in Arizona

I'm beginning to think young white male adults should be tested for schizophrenia. I say white, because those are the people most likely to shoot someone and go crazy, and I think I read white male young adults are more prone to schizophrenia. I don't agree with restricting access to guns, but obviously crazy people should not get them. The problem is, one cannot be determined crazy in this country anymore unless you check yourself into a mental hospital, or your parents do. I think everyone should be required to pass mental evaluations, but specifically white male young adults. I don't believe in forced confinement like the old days. But I do believe crazy people should not have access to guns, and should be forcibly medicated.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/01/10/two_lawmakers_say_theyll_be_armed.html

I wonder how others will be changing their security arrangements. I was kind of shocked with how little security members of Congress have when in public, especially when compared to some other public figures (US college football coaches, for example, often travel with state trooper delegations).

When we were campaigning, one staffer would be assigned to be the "Body Man" for the congressman, and basically just follow him around when he waded into a crowd to shake hands. I did it a few times...but for us, it was usually some Notre Dame undergrad who was less than 160 pounds. You guys have seen my picture...I wouldn't be able to stop an assailant either. I wonder if it'll be different now...

Much of the time those "security arrangements" are just job perks though. They have nothing to do with any genuine threat.

I'm beginning to think young white male adults should be tested for schizophrenia. I say white, because those are the people most likely to shoot someone and go crazy, and I think I read white male young adults are more prone to schizophrenia. I don't agree with restricting access to guns, but obviously crazy people should not get them. The problem is, one cannot be determined crazy in this country anymore unless you check yourself into a mental hospital, or your parents do. I think everyone should be required to pass mental evaluations, but specifically white male young adults. I don't believe in forced confinement like the old days. But I do believe crazy people should not have access to guns, and should be forcibly medicated.

Just think, if i were to take that post and put the word black in place of white I would be branded a racist...

This climate is nothing new. A similar atmosphere existed at points during the Bush administration, during the Clinton administration, and during the Vietnam war. From the Left, Right, and Left respectively. More blood has admittedly been spilled by the right then by the left, but in terms of amount of attacks, the left has "won".

My point is that a rhetorical maelstrom inevitably leads to political violence, and must be restrained, regardless of political party.

This begs a question. If a Congressperson is incapacitated, who carries out their duties? I'm assuming nobody until a special by-election can be held, and those are generally held in tune with the other federal elections, correct?

This begs a question. If a Congressperson is incapacitated, who carries out their duties? I'm assuming nobody until a special by-election can be held, and those are generally held in tune with the other federal elections, correct?

Rules for special elections/appointments vary by state. Sometimes the Gov appoints somebody, sometimes they hold a special election.

What is the obsession with pegging his political preferences...

He's a whack job who shot a Congresswoman; can't we all just agree that he is a nutter who holds no true representation of the spectrum for either side.

Nope, we can't. Some people love saying "see I told you so! Fox News and Palin are evil!"

Funny, I don't remember people going this nuts over the Ft. Hood massacre. You weren't even really supposed to point out that the guy was muslim (no no no! :nono:). But here we have a lunatic white kid and all of a sudden people have to point fingers at the Tea Party and Fox News.

EDIT: I am happy to say that on this forum it's only a few people pointing fingers. The rest of us are sane enough not to.

Moderator Action: Don't insinuate that some posters are not sane because you disagree with them.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Nope, we can't. Some people love saying "see I told you so! Fox News and Palin are evil!"

Funny, I don't remember people going this nuts over the Ft. Hood massacre. You weren't even really supposed to point out that the guy was muslim (no no no! :nono:). But here we have a lunatic white kid and all of a sudden people have to point fingers at the Tea Party and Fox News.

Your post is the epitome of hypocrisy...

Both side are pointing fingers; yet you only seem to obsess that people are pointing the finger at 'Fox News, the Tea Party, Palin!"

Meanwhile in this thread people have claimed he belonged to either side; both sides are pointing fingers!

Don't be so thick as to think the left is alone is placing blame where there is none...

Your post is the epitome of hypocrisy...

Both side are pointing fingers; yet you only seem to obsess that people are pointing the finger at 'Fox News, the Tea Party, Palin!"

Meanwhile in this thread people have claimed he belonged to either side; both sides are pointing fingers!

Don't be so thick as to think the left is alone is placing blame where there is none...

Yes because it's ridiculous to point fingers at Fox News, the Tea Party and Palin over this shooting. It's ludicrous. They have less to do with it than the Ft Hood shooter being muslim, but...wait, oh no! You can't say that! The political correct police will be all over your ass!

I can almost guarantee that those idiots at MSNBC are or will be jumping on the anti-Tea Party, anti-Fox News bandwagon, especially that douche Olbermann. I haven't been watching him, but if he isn't spouting that nonsense now, he soon will. Guaranteed.

(I haven't been watching much news at all to be honest. I don't know what the media is saying, I'm only getting that info from this thread)

This thread has been pretty good. Very few people are actually pointing fingers; most are just pointing out some of the ridiculous claims being made.

This shooting has nothing to do with political parties or movements or the media, and everything to do with a lunatic.

As I keep pointing out, it is a strawman of an opinion held by many in this forum, including a moderator.

Maybe the fact that this finally happened will be enough to convince people like Palin and Beck to tone down their rhetoric, but since most of them live in their own realities I kind of doubt it. It will take something more egocentric...like the cops showing up at the door...to get their attention.
Once again, nobody is "blaming" Fox News or Sarah Palin for these murders. We are claiming that their all-too-frequent use of completely absurd "vitriol" may very likely cause mentally unbalanced people to do very stupid things.

And, of course, as I and others have also pointed out numerous times, both sides are guilty of doing this. It just seems to happen a lot more frequently from the far-right.

Yes because it's ridiculous to point fingers at Fox News, the Tea Party and Palin over this shooting. It's ludicrous. They have less to do with it than the Ft Hood shooter being muslim, but...wait, oh no! You can't say that! The political correct police will be all over your ass!

I can almost guarantee that those idiots at MSNBC are or will be jumping on the anti-Tea Party, anti-Fox News bandwagon, especially that douche Olbermann. I haven't been watching him, but if he isn't spouting that nonsense now, he soon will. Guaranteed.

(I haven't been watching much news at all to be honest. I don't know what the media is saying, I'm only getting that info from this thread)

This thread has been pretty good. Very few people are actually pointing fingers; most are just pointing out some of the ridiculous claims being made.

This shooting has nothing to do with political parties or movements or the media, and everything to do with a lunatic.

I'm not saying you're wrong but its so damn hypocritical!

Its a problem on both sides, but whay I get from your post is basically:

"No one should be pointing fingers *cough* Lefties *cough*"

When in fact both sides are guilty. Can you not see why I might be irked by such a double standard? I can agree with you on a point, but when you word it such a biased manner it becomes hard to believe your sincerity.

Can you not agree on that?

Once again, nobody is "blaming" Fox News or Sarah Palin for these murders. We are claiming that their all-too-frequent use of completely absurd "vitriol" may very likely cause mentally unbalanced people to do very stupid things.

Thats.....kinda the same thing...:crazyeye:

Seriously....if they 'cause' it, are they not to 'blame' for it?

Thats precisely whats being alleged here.

Nobody said they definitely "cause" it either. :crazyeye: Sheesh.

Can't you see the difference? Or is this constant generation of obvious strawmen deliberate?

Thats.....kinda the same thing...:crazyeye:

Seriously....if they 'cause' it, are they not to 'blame' for it?

Thats precisely whats being alleged here.

Blame seems more straightforward.

By cause I think he perhaps means it in an unintentional sort of way; they don't mean to cause violence such as this with their rhetoric, but only bring the people over to their side.

This event being an unfortunant reaction when an unstable mind comes in contact with said rhetoric (It doesn't have to be Fox, right wing, it could be left as well; maddness spawns from both extremes.)

Anyways, I think thats what he's getting at.

Funny, I don't remember people going this nuts over the Ft. Hood massacre. You weren't even really supposed to point out that the guy was muslim (no no no! :nono:).
Then you remember poorly. People were going nuts, and EVERYONE was talking about how the guy was muslim.
Yes because it's ridiculous to point fingers at Fox News, the Tea Party and Palin over this shooting. It's ludicrous.
Palin released an ad with a freaking crosshair on the victim. It's not insane to wonder if that might be related!
They have less to do with it than the Ft Hood shooter being muslim, but...wait, oh no! You can't say that! The political correct police will be all over your ass!
Not true, and I'll prove it: dude was a muslim. So what? What you going to do about it? What difference does it make? None whatsoever.

I love how you rant about people jumping to conclusions, then state dogmatically that it was only one man's lunacy and was in no way politically motivated. I, personally, think that all avenues of investigation should be followed until the motive has been established. If he's really as crazy as he seems the police should have no trouble getting him to talk, at length, about his motives.

Blame seems more straightforward.

By cause I think he perhaps means it in an unintentional sort of way; they don't mean to cause violence such as this with their rhetoric, but only bring the people over to their side.

This event being an unfortunant reaction when an unstable mind comes in contact with said rhetoric (It doesn't have to be Fox, right wing, it could be left as well; maddness spawns from both extremes.)
Anyways, I think thats what he's getting at.

(Emphasis mine.)

Exactly. The only people who seem to have difficulty understanding our position are a few of the reactionaries who appear to have the same problem quite frequently.

The far-right is doing a full-tilt boogie trying to spin-doctor the issue of "vitriol" away by blaming anybody who states the obvious for doing what they so frequently do: Turning everything into a political football for their own benefit.

With that remark, ironically, Dupnik has become the target of just the sort of rhetoric he was decrying.
Indeed. As have many of the rest of us.

Nobody said they definitely "cause" it either. :crazyeye: Sheesh.

Can't you see the difference? Or is this constant generation of obvious strawmen deliberate?

Form, come on. Here is your comment:

We are claiming that their all-too-frequent use of completely absurd "vitriol" may very likely cause mentally unbalanced people to do very stupid things.

You strongly imply that it may be the cause. Stop trying to deny what you are alleging here.

Top Bottom