1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice: The Most Serene Republic

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Opera, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Opera

Opera Deity

Yeah that's because other civs aren't supposed to have access to the Citizens building. Guess I could make it default but with a -1 hammer cost.

Yes many text keys are missing. All strategies and the text of units and buildings iirc. I frankly don't consider the strategy ones critical. The text ones I should fill though.

2. labrynianrebel

labrynianrebel Warlord

They've figured out how to get a 2D image as a leaderhead, maybe you can swap out Alexander now?

3. JT415

JT415 Chieftain

I downloaded the mod, but when I play it seems to take much longer to research new techs. For example, if I research mining first it takes 42 turns to research it. Much longer than normal. Anyone else having this problem?

4. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Their palace (Doge's Palace) doesn't have the same science output as the normal palace. It's an oversight and easily fixed for the time being if you can change the XML. I believe Evalis mentioned it earlier in the thread. :)

5. JT415

JT415 Chieftain

Thanks, I'll wait till an updated version. I know nothing about programming in this game and dont want to ruin the whole mod by messing with it.

6. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

With this mod loaded, I cannot seem to reload any saved games. I did some research and found out about a line in the xml <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_XXX</Civilopedia> that needed to be deleted, supposedly, to prevent these reloading crashes - but that did not work and the game still CTD's when I try loading any saves with the Venetian civilization. Since I'm from near Venice (Trieste) I'd love to try out this mod in a game...any suggestions? Opera, are you there? BTW I recall your stellar mods from the FFH series in Civ IV and look forward to seeing more with this iteration...they can only improve it.

Edit: OK, I figured out the problem and it is not your Venice Civ mod, it was other conflicting mods I had loaded.
    One big problem I'm finding that leads to these CTD's on re-load is that many of the mods on Steam are incompatible with each other and it is not immediately clear which ones they are. I did finally figure out that two diplomacy mods were apparently arguing over something, so I unclicked one and voiala, the game works and your mod reloads just fine without crashes.

All people experiencing these CTD's at re load might want to take a look at any mods they have loaded to see if conflicts are the problem. Its too bad that Civ V cannot parse these things for you when you try to leave the mod section of Steam, and inform you, "hey dummy, these two mods if both loaded will crash your pc."

7. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

One more problem cropped up and this one I cannot seem to fix myself...I have played into the Steel era and no Condottieri are available to me...I can raise swordsmen and longswordsmen, but both cost me 1 iron. There are no Condottieri listed in the units that I can create in the city screen. Any ideas?

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Opera, any updates or comments about the issue I raised (no condottieri)?

9. Ashindor

Ashindor Chieftain

You might try running a game on Quick settings, starting in the Medieval era, with all other mods turned off. If you can build Condotierri with just the Venice mod, then there's probably a compatibility issue with one of the other mods and we can investigate further. If you can't, then the install of the Venice mod may be corrupted somehow, so delete and re-download. I'm pretty sure it's not a bug or anything with the mod itself, since it worked perfectly for me when it was the only thing I had running.

Good luck!

10. Opera

Opera Deity

Uploaded a v3 with the Doge Palace fix.

11. Erakleitos

Erakleitos Chieftain

12. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Hrm... I ran v3 and still had the doge palace issue...

13. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Well, I've tried what was suggested...with Venice v3 activated and no other mods selected, I now get double settlers, double melee units and a free scout and worker at any start that I select.
    I still get no condottieri choice with medieval selected and I am not inclined to play 100 turns to get to the discovery of steel to see if it comes up. Started on renaissance and did not get the galeass either.
    If I turn off all mods, I get a regular start with one settler and one melee unit.
    Very odd. Corrupted file somewhere?
    I'm going to try something bold...I'm deleting all mods from my folder manually and will re-load the ones I want to try via the Steam downloader as usual. Perhaps that will sort out the problem.

14. Opera

Opera Deity

Hmmm, maybe something went wrong with a patch? I'll have to check that.

15. Lord Alderaan

Lord Alderaan Chieftain

don't forget to clear the cache and maybe also start a new game.

16. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

It seems to have been a cache problem, since deleting that and starting over with all new downloaded mods seems to have cleared things up. Haven't played through to steel yet to see if the condottieri show up this time, but I'll post here when I find out.
    This game seems far more sensitive to such issues (cache corruption and mod conflicts) than was Civ IV...

17. Lord Alderaan

Lord Alderaan Chieftain

Civ IV had zero Mod conflicts because you simply couldn't enable more then one :p

Civ IV was quite buggy at start too. I'm sure they'll fix the cache issues by simply clearing the cache more often.

18. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Very shiny, and it looks like it'll meld well with my obsessive penchant for grabbing as many resources as I can. Giving them a test-run now, along with Valk's Economy mod... let's see how a game as them goes.

19. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Mod is working fine now, have figured out which other mods it does not like...

20. MooFreaky

MooFreaky Meatbag Destroyer

I am getting a KEY_TEXT issue with all the cities. All the other text works fine it is just the cities.
    Is there any way to fix this?