Victory: Sailing on a Sea of Panzerkampfwagens - HOI2(DD) German AAR

How do you keep up with your oil supplies?

I built up a big surplus to begin with through trade deals. Now got massive trade deals with the USA, my supplies for their oil, 200+ per day is enough to get by.

From the north, came a warrior
Baring burdens, dark and deep
I've a will and I've a wanting
And miles to go before I sleep

After the operation in Spain there follows a peaceful nine months, during which we make many diplomatic overtures. Bulgaria and Romania see the light, but relations with Italy and Japan are still uncertain. Vichy are left to deal with British aggression in Africa.

The British are surely conspiring with the Soviets against us. We all know that the Soviets are amassing weapons of mass destruction and committing atrocities against their own people. We decide that we must end this great threat to peace...

The attacks begins on the 12th of June, 1941. A year ago we dared to invade Belgium. Now 76 panzer divisions with some 15,000 tanks assault the Soviet lines in the biggest and most epic battles of all time, so far. On such a huge front, we cannot succeed in all sectors. Millions of Soviet troops garrison the northern approaches to Moscow. Other strongholds in Kiev and the Mozyr swamps are bypassed as our tanks head for the open plains of the Ukraine and the steppes beyond.

It is a Field Marshall's dream. Our brave panzers reach the Volga within a month. The world watches in awe.

There follows tough battles on the northern and southern flanks, while partisans add to the resistance of soviet pockets that occasionally break through our lines to get re-supplied. Our attention is distracted from the British creeping up the west coast of Africa.

Nonetheless, within another month our panzers push on to the Caspian shores. Italy, having recently struggled to victory against Greece, is inspired to declare war on the soviets too. They quickly become full members of the alliance.

Seems our years of diplomacy are paying off... Just as well, as our cash reserves are now exhausted.

The British are not sending any nuisance raids against Europe, so our Panzer reserves seek some entertainment in Yugoslavia.

Strong Soviet counter attacks out of the Crimea cause serious problems. Kiev is besieged, relived, and besieged again. Our own supply lines are tenuous to say the least. But ever eastwards we push.

Moscow remains out of reach. We are repeatedly pushed back from the northern forests, but we make sure to tie down dozens of Soviet divisions.

The Italians fail to impress thus far.

And after many months of friendly relations, Persia betrays us at the last minute, spreading its legs wide for the insidious Brits and communists. We vow to avenge such behaviour.

In late August our mop-up operations at Mozyr and Kiev are a little disappointing, yielding no more than 20 infantry divisions trapped since June. Meanwhile our offensive against southern Ukraine eventually turns into a disaster, with around six panzer divisions being outmanoeuvred and completely overrun, with the loss of thousands of tanks and men. We can ill afford such losses. Production of new Panzer IV's has wound down as we await the next generation model, one that is taking forever to develop. But some divisions are now sporting heavy Tiger brigades as they prowl through the steppes.

Von Bock was fortunately rescued from this sticky situation in the Caucasus. Stalingrad was then re-encircled and trainloads of Hungarian and Romanian troops are now heading that way.

There is also some good news from the east. We expect great things from the Japanese.

But the start of September sees von Kluge isolated on the wrong side of the Urals, with stacks of Soviet reinforcements seen in the vicinity. All the hopes of the great Eurasian Reich are with him and his men. It is probably time to start suring up our lines for the winter...

BTW: i decided everyone who has posted in this thread will have a panzerdivision named after them. Feel free to suggest the kind of attachment (Stug, Tiger, engineer etc) and the section of the front you wish to be on :)

Definitely want to tidy up the front as much as you can before winter. Especially the Crimea.

Wee! Awesome thread as ever! (Tiger!)

too bad you cant let Finland join your alliance, with the winter war didnt happen at all.

I want the most badass tank division you've got! :goodjob:

Then we can have Landship BATTLES!

Maybe I missed something. So the Allies aren't capitalizing on your lack of an air force to implement strategic bombing of your industries?

As an aspiring engineer myself, I'd love engineers. :love:

In my games the Soviets tend to have between 200-300 ground divisions in late 41 and when I play as Germany my plan is usually to encircle and destroy as many divisions as possible as quickly as possible except it's a lot easier for the Soviets to breakout if your 3 divisions are spread out across 8 provinces. Of course, I've been playing Arsenal of Democracy (and I'm not particularly good at Hearts of Iron) so that might be why the Soviets are a lot more of a challenge for me.

I'm a bit busy right now but I have played some more and will have an update up sometime soonish. It will feature Japan is being foolish :mad:

Maybe I missed something. So the Allies aren't capitalizing on your lack of an air force to implement strategic bombing of your industries?

Yeah its suprising, I haven't noticed much activity at all. There has basically been no bombing of german cities after France fell. Makes me wonder why I ever bother with an expensive airforce in this game :)

The British do like sending bombers to attack my tank reserves in northern france, doing very little damage far as I can tell. I guess it might change if the USA get involved or when the brits get their heavy lancasters. Still only at 1941 after all.

I want a LAND BATTLESHIP!

I wish I could build them! I think the best I can do is some super-heavy tanks (Maus) but that's a bit further down the line.

In my games the Soviets tend to have between 200-300 ground divisions in late 41 and when I play as Germany my plan is usually to encircle and destroy as many divisions as possible as quickly as possible except it's a lot easier for the Soviets to breakout if your 3 divisions are spread out across 8 provinces. Of course, I've been playing Arsenal of Democracy (and I'm not particularly good at Hearts of Iron) so that might be why the Soviets are a lot more of a challenge for me.

I'm playing with the Determined AI Mod, but a version thats probably two years old now. I should say dealing with the armies in the Crimea was very tough, and I have no chance of taking Moscow right now due to massive stacks of soviets up there in the forests and swamps with winter setting in. They could easily have 300 divisions left taking into account the far east. I don't think I've seen a T-34 yet.

I will be happy with a badass Panther division named after me!

Top Bottom