Video: Troll or Mistake?

Was the leader information in the video a troll?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was leaning toward intentional leak/puzzle, but the fact that threads on individual portraits for unconfirmed leaders have been closed in this forum makes me wonder if Firaxis is trying to minimize damage by having this site limit damage to one unwieldy thread.

I was leaning toward intentional leak/puzzle, but the fact that threads on individual portraits for unconfirmed leaders have been closed in this forum makes me wonder if Firaxis is trying to minimize damage by having this site limit damage to one unwieldy thread.

No, I've noticed the mods like to limit the number of threads. It didn't start with this. I had an unrelated thread merged into the middle of a giant thread where I couldn't keep the list updated. It's just how they've chosen to run the forum.

Moderator Action: If you have questions concerning why a certain moderator action was performed, then send a Private Message to the moderator in question. Please do not start conspiracy theories. The rules here are clear, please do not discuss moderator actions in public forums. It makes threads about moderator actions instead of about the subjects at hand. Stay on topic.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I assumed it was just an oversight, but with the apparent Frederick Barbarossa teaser in the latest video I'm starting to think they are having some fun with us. :crazyeye:

Saladin is also pretty much confirmed.

3 leaders that was guessed from the blurred pictures is probably enough to confirm that the pictures are actually the leaders that will be in the game.

I'm leaning toward Oops now. The Trajan leak in today's video seemed like a sloppy marketing cut.

Trajan leak in today video is surely intentional. It looks like marketing team decided to play with fans now, after so much leaked in previous video.

So here's my two cents, unsolicited though it may be.

Could this have been a mistake? Sure, it's possible.

But speaking as a Lawyer, a Publicist, an entertainment industry professional, and a game designer, the number of screw-ups that have to happen for that to be the case make it less likely than a deliberate leak.

1) the camera was shooting b-roll unrelated to what was being discussed in the audio. So it wouldn't have been given free reign to wander. It was only shooting exactly where it was supposed to, and exactly what it was supposed to shoot.

But what if it was given free reign to go wherever? Well then, anything that wasn't explicitly allowed to get out would have been taken down or covered with a drape. This isn't a small, indie studio, this is Firaxis who publishes through 2k.

But let's say that it slipped through and made it onto the tape.

2) if anyone, literally anyone, from the design team reviewed this video before it was approved they would have noticed the pictures, and called shenanigans right then and there.

But maybe they figures it was safe to let it slide cause they were blurry and stuff?

Nope. That team knows this community, and they have watched it dissect with a scalpel every second of footage that has been released. I'd be shocked if anyone at Firaxis with enough knowledge to be the yay-or-nayer on a video release could possibly make that mistake.

But if no one reviewed it at all that could explain it right?

3) if no one at Firaxis reviewed the video at all, that could explain how a mistake if this order could happen. But then *someone* is probably on the chopping block for releasing un-reviewed video content.

And let's not overlook how perfect this "slip" was.

4) 1 second of video footage that "looks harmless" but provides just enough information, with just enough give-aways and organization to the layout of said info to allow a dedicated team of superfans with access to the internet to play a fun and satisfying ARG for a day without officially spoiling any unknown content.

The other possibility is that while it wasn't explicitly planned, it was let through on purpose once it was caught. That splits the difference between oops and planned I suppose, but in the end it is more the later than the former.

Or possibly:

1) The film crew were allowed to film the things in the hallway but the people at Firaxis (not video makers) didn't realize the other room would be in the shot if the camera was moved so far off to the side.

2) The person who checked over the video didn't know what was in the images. Say, Ed checked over the video but those pictures were from a room in the Art Department. I also don't buy that anyone would spot the issue. Even very experienced editors are going to miss some errors.

And

4) The fact that the image provides just enough detail to solve while also looking harmless isn't evidence that the reveal is a deliberate puzzle. Both things are also a requirement for it being an unintentional leak. (Same thing with the "evidence" of the lighting of the shot. If that part of the shot wasn't well lit, we wouldn't be discussing anything since there'd be neither a leak nor a puzzle.)

I'm not saying that it's not deliberate, but we're not psychohistorians. None of us are capable of analyzing all possible situation that could occur and their likeliness. So, none of us can really say "this is what had to have happened".

I would like a voting option "It could be any of them but I just don't know".

Trajan leak in today video is surely intentional. It looks like marketing team decided to play with fans now, after so much leaked in previous video.

Except I'll guarantee you that both of these videos were already finished before this week even began.

You guys are reading way too much into this.

I'm strongly hoping they're trolling us.

What changes would you propose?

I would have removed Poland, Brazil, Greece, and added Persia, Zulu and Inca.

But there is a limit to the changes that can be made when we only have 18 civs. England, France and Spain are too historically important to remove, and Germany too important a market for Civ games (German people are one of the top markets for videogames; https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/).

What changes would you propose?

I would have removed Poland, Brazil, Greece, and added Persia, Zulu and Inca.

But there is a limit to the changes that can be made when we only have 18 civs. England, France and Spain are too historically important to remove, and Germany too important a market for Civ games (German people are one of the top markets for videogames; https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/).

If that's the case, C5 may be Korea. :D

No tweet from Ed to me. :(

I'm a bit surprised that Firaxis has not made any comment at all on the leaders thread. They really ought to. All the hard work that has gone into it deserve a comment at least. I'm disappointed in them.

I'm a bit surprised that Firaxis has not made any comment at all on the leaders thread. They really ought to. All the hard work that has gone into it deserve a comment at least. I'm disappointed in them.

That's totally normal. If they comment, this will be official confirmation, it will slip to news, etc. As long as it stays in realm of fan guesses, it doesn't hurt marketing plan.

I don't want "normal" from Firaxis, I want better than normal.

Top Bottom