"Vive l'Empereur!": another D+3 Succession

I've downloaded the save, and verified that I have it in my directory (132 kb), but every time I try to load it, I get the message "Failed to load game. Error: No such file or directory." I'm running 2.42. (Isn't that the only version where diety+ games can be played.) To be on the safe side, however, I also tried loading it in MGE: same error message. Also, in case it had any effect, I altered the Rules.txt and Game.txt to include the diety+3 level. (I already had a +1 level "Adept" and +2 "Elite." Trying to think of something appropriate, I named +3 "Oppressive.") It didn't make any difference.

Any technical help?

In the meantime, if others have successfully downloaded, I should probably be skipped, while I work out my technical issues. 'Sorry for blowing a weekend on this when others could have got their turns in.

As discussed above, there are two identical posts from the previous player (Old n Slow), except that the attached files are not identical. The SAV file from his first post is 148 KB (IIRC) and works, the one from the second post is slightly smaller, does NOT work and results in a "Failed to load game. Error: No such file or directory" error message.

Okay, that worked. Sorry I didn't think of that. I am up and running. If someone else hasn't already gone, I should be able to get my turns in this evening.

All the news that's fit to print, over the next 750 years:

2550 (0) – Switch worker in Random to shielded grassland to pick up extra shield production. (The extra point of trade for working the ocean was being lost to corruption.)

2500 (1) – Take the hut nw of Random. It’s in city limits, so it won’t produce barbs. And we get . . . another horseman (Random). Put extra citizen to work on trees in GV to produce settler next turn.

2450 (2) – GV produces settler; change production to Barracks (anticipating change to Temple when CB is discovered). Both settlements now in disorder.

2400 (3) – Settler starts a road; horseman uncovers a nice 3-4 spot special at (68,28); plan to put this settler there.

2350 (4) – Discover CB and start researching Monarchy; switch production in GV to Temple, as planned. Warrior enters hut at (78,42) and gets . . . Mysticism! (Well, that was worth the price of admission, although at this point, I’d even accept barbarians: I want this Warrior HOME (to disband him), in another one of our settlements (to switch support), or DEAD! He’s putting GV into disorder. (Point of personal preference: in my own D+ games, the capitol never builds or supports military units, as they keep the capitol from celebrating.)

2300 (5) – Egyptians start Pyramids (surprise, surprise).

2250 (6) – Continue exploring.

2200 (7) – Settler completes road between GV and Random on his way to (68,28).

2150 (8) – More exploring.

2100 (9) – Random has a full food box, so worker changed to entertainer; will be out of disorder next turn.

2050 (10) – Order restored in Random. Fayette founded: judging by the revealed pattern, this is a 4-spot special with 2-whale-type, 2-fish-type.

2000 (11) – And Fayette immediately descends into disorder.

1950 (12) – More exploring.

1900 (13) – Prb 3 shields in Random.

1850 (14) – Our horseman offends the locals: barbarians released from hut at (84,10).

1800 (15) – Horseman slain by barbarians. GV has full food box, so worker switched to entertainer – will be out of disorder next turn.

I hereby pass the sceptre of despot.

Not exactly an eventful set of turns. No huts, no barbs and no contact with the AI. The highlight was our discovery of monarchy. The AI built two wonders.

1800 BC (0): Nothing to note, nothing to be gained be increasing luxuries. Must aim to discover and switch to monarchy ASAP.

1550 BC (5): The southern edge of our continent has probably been located.

1450 BC (7): The English start building the Colossus. Guess we can forget about that one. Southern edge discovery confirmed without doubt.

1400 BC (8): The Egyptians have nearly completed the pyramids. They (the pyramids) suck anyway, at least at this early stage.

1350 BC (9): The Egyptians build the pyramids and the Chinese and the Romans switch to HG. At least some good news: We discover monarchy. :eek: The Romans already have a size 8 city.

1300 BC (10): The Chinese abandon their HG project. Revolution.

1250 BC (11): Chinese again start the HG. We become a monarchy.

1150 BC (13): The Romans have nearly completed the HG.

1100 BC (14): Veii (Roman) builds HG, Chinese switch to GW.

1050 BC (15): Zulus start Colossus.

It is now absolutely clear that this game is going to be in a completely different category compared to the last D+3 game as far as difficulty is concerned. The AI has already built the HG and pyramids and is building the Colossus. We can probably forget about an SSC and it seems the wonder we have to focus on is Mike. The question is if we should start building a wonder while we can and later switch to Mike. We have the tech to build the Oracle but soon we may not have a tech to build any wonder at all and that situation could last for a long time. I don't think there's any chance of beating the AI to philosophy. Our biggest cities are of size 2 but the world's top 5 cities are size 7-8 cities.

Getting at least one trireme might be a good idea, in theory it would delay monotheism (we haven't discovered mapmaking) but might actually speed it up if we meet an AI civ.

And here is an overview of our 'glorious' empire:

Attachments

• na_b1050.zip
    16 KB · Views: 85
Yes, definitely a more challenging start, thanks to one settler and and a comparative lack of huts (= lack of advanced tribes). Last game at this point we had ten cities and eleven techs; this game we have three cities and six techs.

If we have a chance, we should consider Marco Polo's Embassy ...

So, I believe Golem is up next.

Greetings! As I said in the No Wonder thread..."I'm back, sort of..."

Thanks for holding a place for me. I should be able to take my turn after golem.

To make sure my new set up doesn't cause any version problems, can someone load the attached game and make sure it loads properly? It's just the latest save which I opened, moved one warrior out of Fayette toward Gaul.. (hint ;) ) and saved again.

Thanks.

Oh, poor France – three cities, discoveries every 20 turns. Oh what shall I do?

1025 /1/ - Yellow ship appeared near Random Settled. Citizens are frightened. Me too.
- Our brave horseman is heading north
1000 /2/ - Yellow ship moved north west
975 /3/ - Another blue ship appeared west of Random Settled
Saint Emilion was founded – the glory of French wine is spreading around the world
- Discoveries every 9 turns – I feel better.
950 /4/ - English finished the Colossus
925 /5/ - Yellow ship attacked blue ship – a lot of death. Both ship disappeared in the fog.
900 /6/ - Horseman found a hut – advance tribe Bourgogne – new quality of wine – world seems better again.
875 /7/ - Another hut. Our tired horseman find a tribe with cheese – Camembert, Brie, Morbieux, Marcelin…, fortunately he had a lot of wine with him and the result of negotiation was clear – the cheese tribe agreed to join our Empire. Viva la France.!!
850 /8/ - Our scientist discovered Writing. We push our effort to Bronze working – I had some strange dreams about the Trade. I hope, we will discover something like that in the future.
- Our brave horseman is heading north again.
- We decided to send our great whale-hunters from Fayette to fishing – we need more food for settlers.
825 /9/ - I am getting older and nothing happened.
800 !10/ - I am still getting older and nothing happened.
775 /11/ - Warrior in Random Settled. There is a martial law, but the people do not like me so much, that they are still unhappy. Oh god, what should I do?
750 /12/ - Chinese finished Great Wall.
725 /13/ - Warrior in Saint Emilion.. Nobody likes me.
700 /14/ - Zulus finished Lighthouse.
675 /15/. – Our horseman found an Elephant in the hut. He get drunk with its master. He vowed to fight for the France. Hooray!!

But life is too short . I have to gave my kingdom to my sun Tim. God bless you, Tim

Last look to my kingdom:

Three new cities :eek: . We are big !! :D

Remarkable progress in only 15 turns, mostly thanks to huts though. However, I doubt building Saint Emilion on a hill was a good idea (at least we should mine the hill ASAP). Maybe we should allow that city to stay in disorder so it can accumulate some food and eventually grow centuries from now ?

I assume the boats spotted near Random Settled were triremes and not caravels.

I notice that unlike what was the case when I played, it now makes sense to increase luxuries from 0 to 40%. This can yield identical science and tax if science is set to 50% and tax to 10% but a few cities will produce more food and shields since some Elvii become redundant.

Originally posted by TheViking
I doubt building Saint Emilion on a hill was a good idea (at least we should mine the hill ASAP).
Only works to mine the city if you start the mine before the city is founded. We can not mine or irrigate that city square - I was unable to precharge a settler in the city because I couldn't give him any orders

Top Bottom