1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[We the People] Bug reporting

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Turns out the bishop is in the colony, but due to having lost the profession, it can't change profession from the domestic advisor and it's hidden in the colony screen, meaning it can't change profession there either. No idea how this happened, but the same can happen (rarely) if a fisherman is removed from a plot because of a pirate. I made a fix, which once every turn will look through all citizens and then kick out those without professions. This way when a unit vanishes, it will end up on the colony plot on the map the next time you click end turn. That's the best I can do without knowing what triggered this condition. The good news is that this fix will work on existing savegames.

The bad news is that autoplaying triggers this once in a while, meaning there is an underlying problem, which has yet to be found. More investigating is needed, but at least units will not get stuck in an idle and unreachable condition.

I'm aiming towards a new pre-release, but I need to fix a few things first. Hopefully it can be tomorrow.

Sure. The savegame format doesn't look like it is to blame for this. Not sure about learning by doing either. I highly suspect this to be an old bug, which people either haven't noticed because the units are hidden from the colony screen or that it's really hard to trigger. For all we know it's the first time ever that it triggered on an important unit like a bishop. People would care less for a missing free colonist.

raystuttgart likes this.
  2. Taurus

Taurus Chieftain

Here is another save with that bishop, the oldest one I have. Bishop is last in line in domestic advisor, so some turns after he came to colony. Hope it helps.

Another observation on that topic: in the most recent save (year 1613) in military advisor/unit view, you can see bishop in Jamestown (1st one) and bishop as priest in Jamestown (2nd one). So the first one is really stuck in between the worlds... :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  3. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

As discussed yesterday, that is a great "last safety net". :thumbsup:
    Players will at least notice right away and worst case "Unit being stuck in City Screen" is prevented.

Ah ok, so our hope that it was an extremely rare bug was not fulfilled.
    Yeah, these damn bugs sometimes really try their best to hide ...:hide:

Yeah, this is strange. :hmm:
    Currently can not think of anything that could cause this ...

I wish you a lot of patience and success. :thumbsup:
    Such bugs are annoying ...

I really do not think so because if it triggered several times with Autoplays it would not have been missed by players. :think:
    Maybe once ok, but not a couple of times ...

4. raystuttgart

@Nightinggale

I think I might know what causes the OOS desync issues in MP Games.
    It might be if the "New Random Seed on reload" Game Option is activated.

There was an issue with it (not working) in TAC and RaR which I had fixed.
    This is many years ago however, so I am not absolutley sure anymore how I had done it.

If it is deactivated there might be no OOS desync issues anymore.
    Would be interesting to check. :think:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

interesting idea. I don't remember if there was such an option at the beginning of our games. I'll try to find out.

6. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

clarification.

there is no such function "New Random Seed every turn". there is a function "New Random Seed on reload"

Attached Files:

7. raystuttgart

That is the one I meant. :)
    Would be interesting to figure out if OOS desyncs in MP games still occur if it is deactivated. :thumbsup:

8. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Considering that it's only active if enabled by game option and the game is not multiplayer, I would say this isn't the culprit. Besides that would fail instantly while in reality it takes several turns to trigger a desync.

raystuttgart likes this.
  9. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

So I occasionally play Civ hotseats, and I recall a previous version working fine (2.7?, don't remember), 2.8.2.1 is a gamebreaking issue though, any diplomatic interaction with another player results in a crash... I tried a bunch of things, single player works fine, vanilla col works fine (SP & hotseat), and it doesn't seem to matter what the diplo offer is, as soon as the offer is sent/clicked it crashes. (please let me know when this is solved)

Love the mod!

10. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

It's not technically a bug, but since there's no main suggestions thread I'll just put it here, that the FaireWeatherFX map script doesn't use the map sizes defined in CIV4WorldInfo.xml, having sizes hardcoded instead

IMO the map size for gigantic is too big, and huge too small. Gigantic is currently 4x the size of Huge. I've found 2x to be perfect for me, at ~ 90x140

11. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

To be completely honest I think everybody had forgotten about hotseat. I wasn't even aware of anybody, who have tried it. It's certainly not something we test.

A savegame would be nice.

Known issue. I wrote about it 2 years ago and mentioned it even earlier on the forum. So far nobody has fixed it because there has always been more important bugs to look into. I do agree that it's a bit annoying, but it's not game breaking.

12. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Alright, here's a save I quickly assembled for the hotseat diplo crash. On my end reproducibility rate is 100%. Not zipped as it'd only save 5kb

Attached Files:

13. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

This is weird because it is crashing in the exe for no apparent reason meaning no hint on what is wrong. I tried giving gold to another player and to my knowledge, that's still vanilla code, but it still crashed. No idea what could cause that to happen.

14. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

It worked fine in the previous version I played, so there has got to be something causing it :/

15. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Fixed.

This took some digging. All I had to go on was that it worked at some point and not anymore. I did some trial and error to figure out precisely which git revision broke it, looked at the changed code and... well when you eliminate all the impossible, whatever remains must be the case regardless of how unlikely it is. Apparently it was because CvSavegameWriter did not have const for references to the arguments. This in turn meant CvDiploParameters:write was no longer const. The exe apparently requires that function to be const. First time I have ever seen a crash related to a missing const. Not just for WTP, but in programming in general.

TL DR: the bug is fixed. The cause is very unlikely, I had nothing to go on and spent hours looking for and finding the needle in the haystack.

16. XSamatan

XSamatan Chieftain

Great news!!

17. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Oh man I can imagine the potential time that took you. Wasn't expecting it to be worked on anytime soon, so massive thanks and respect mate, seriously.
    Could the dll be uploaded as is, or do you have a rough estimate of the timing for the next update?

18. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

On a different topic, and not technically a bug either, but the AI seems to chop down every single tree in range and spam improvements regardless of it ever working them or not. So the AI achieves a very high food production, but its hammers/industry is tiny, which I assume also slows down overall development/efficiency in terms of buildings.

19. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I uploaded a new version yesterday. It's in the thread, which is intended to be used for all 2.8.2.x feedback.

Vaeringjar likes this.
  20. f1rpo

f1rpo plastics

(2nd quote is from the dev diary thread)

When I try this with the BtS EXE, then DW catches the error (screenshot attached). Just felt that I should point this out on the odd chance that there is some way to get it to work with the Col EXE as well. (I can't easily test that because I don't have a development environment set up for Col.)

Attached Files:

devolution and Nightinggale like this.