Weekend Specials Online

Bought the Metro Redux Bundle, Ziggurat, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+, Nidhogg, Polarity, Bad Company 2, Castle Crashers, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Gods Will Be Watching, Orion, Cook Serve Delicious, Spelunky, and some various DLCs.

Spent $49.41, average price spent per game (excluding DLCs and counting the two Metros separately) was $2.61.

I bought a few CK2 DLCs so I can actually; play it again (especially with mods), and Ultimate General Gettysburg. I was gifted Valkryia Chronicles (thanks Captain2!), Octodad, The Walking Dead Season 2 and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (thanks Kan!). I also gifted several people games.

Honestly the sale was okay overall. There were still some good deals but it didn't feel long enough, quite a few deals were early access (even if a couple of those are quite good), many of the daily deals are the same ones as every bloody sale for years, and more than a quarter of them were not even good deals. The clicker game was mildly interesting but really pointless, didn't work that well sometimes and there still isn't a way to accept gifts if you're on mobile.

I didn't get the game at all. I crafted one badge the last night by buying the remaining six or so cards for like 7 cents each. Then it said I could play. Said it was waiting for 1000 players and we had 70. So I quit. Stupid. Don't get how you get the cards to play either, by buying games only? I spent like $25 and only got four or so. You have to trade for them all?

In general the sale felt really short and yeah, how many times are we gonna see elder scrolls, bioshock and borderlands franchises 75% off? But hey they still sell I guess. The thing is pretty much everything is on sale on steam, it just doesn't always flash or daily so you don't notice. But if you make a wish list of all the games you want you'll notice they're all cheap. I'll just browse games under $2 to see if anythings like 80% off, that's how I ended up with some random titles.

The Fall
Divinity Original Sin
Transistor
Legend of Grimrock 2
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles
Ziggurat

In these games those I was looking forward to play really were Ziggurat, Grimrock 2, Original Sin and This War of Mine.

I didn't really intend on buying Divinity Original Sin as the sale was only 33% (and it had been 40% off in the past)... However they recently announced a enhanced edition that will feature lots of stuff AND couch coop... And people who own Original Sin before the release of the new edition are going to get the upgraded version for free... So I didn't see this game that I've been wanting to play going on sale again for much less than this until a very long time. I kind of wanted to play it with my girlfriend and the couch coop announcement kind of sold it on me as I don't have to get two copies either.

I started on This War of Mine but I'm not actually sure I'm enjoying it. I don't like the timer, I don't like the scavenging much, I don't know. I'll keep playing but it feels hopeless. And I know that this is the actual point, but it doesn't mean it's fun. There are some games out there where losing is fun and I can't figure out for sure this one is in this category for me.

Maniacal got me Apotheon, which I've been playing, and is pretty good. Actually it's close at heart to Castlevania Symphony of the Night and even Dark Souls to some extent (it shares most of its control scheme, strangely). These are some of my favorite games. I don't know if I'd play it without a controller though. The art style is very strong, the greek theme is nice, I guess it can get samey but as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome. We'll see.

Kan got me Outcast 1.1, until I realized I already had Outcast 1.1 on gog.com (didn't realize they upgraded the old version to 1.1...). Then he gave me One Finger Death Punch as a consolation.

I didn't buy anyone anything because I'm a jerk. At least I'm a jerk this year.

For those who had restraint and didn't buy borderlands during the steam sale it's now the humble bundle deal. Get 1 and 2 for bta under $5 with a few dlc's.

People don't own it?

I didn't get the game at all. I crafted one badge the last night by buying the remaining six or so cards for like 7 cents each. Then it said I could play. Said it was waiting for 1000 players and we had 70. So I quit. Stupid. Don't get how you get the cards to play either, by buying games only? I spent like $25 and only got four or so. You have to trade for them all?

You didn't need the badge to play the game.

I only spent $25! So proud of my restraint!

I made actually made money despite buying Valkyrie Chronicles and Unity of command complete pack. Got given a foil summer card and selling off all the summer cards. Was tempted to buy Final Fantasy 13 games but they were only 50% off. Will buy when they are discounted 75%. Total damage from steam sale $10 spent and $14 made

I spent $0.49 on the Steam summer sale this year, which I believe is a new record low since I first participated in one. I bought the EU4 Songs of the New World pack, which adds some nice variety to the soundtrack and has been worth it. Since I bought it with Steam wallet funds from card-selling, it wound up being more or less free.

By comparison I spent $1.49 on Uplink + SC2K at the GOG Summer Sale.

Cities: Skylines was tempting, but in the end the "I ought to reduce my backlog, not add to it" principle won out.

I spent $0.49 on the Steam summer sale this year, which I believe is a new record low since I first participated in one. I bought the EU4 Songs of the New World pack, which adds some nice variety to the soundtrack and has been worth it. Since I bought it with Steam wallet funds from card-selling, it wound up being more or less free.

By comparison I spent $1.49 on Uplink + SC2K at the GOG Summer Sale.

Cities: Skylines was tempting, but in the end the "I ought to reduce my backlog, not add to it" principle won out.

Wasnt sim city free on gog?

I too bought more on Gog this year than i did on steam. I got banished, walking dead 1 + 2 and HOMM4 on Gog (including SC2k and the other free game). Then on steam all i got was Witcher 2 and Outcast 1.1, which was less than a fiver i think.

I basically think this boils down to the poor gaming year that was 2014. Most titles released in that year were sub par, and those are also the ones that would be on 75% off now, hence the lack of purchase from people like me. 2013 and before, if a game was 75% off and i wanted it before the summer sale, the chances are i already own it. Next year or xmas should be better.

Wasnt sim city free on gog?

I too bought more on Gog this year than i did on steam. I got banished, walking dead 1 + 2 and HOMM4 on Gog (including SC2k and the other free game). Then on steam all i got was Witcher 2 and Outcast 1.1, which was less than a fiver i think.

I basically think this boils down to the poor gaming year that was 2014. Most titles released in that year were sub par, and those are also the ones that would be on 75% off now, hence the lack of purchase from people like me. 2013 and before, if a game was 75% off and i wanted it before the summer sale, the chances are i already own it. Next year or xmas should be better.

Sim City 2000 was a bonus if you spend more than $1 on the GOG Summer Sale. The original may have been free at some point, but I already have the original on CD from a '90s Maxis compilation so I haven't paid attention to it on GOG.

Banished is among the titles on my backlog. So is Witcher 1, which is why I didn't get Witcher 2.

For me, how good a recent year is doesn't matter a whole lot - I rarely play games the year they come out. Lately I've been playing Sanctum (2011), EU4 (2013), Killing Floor (2009), and HL2:E1 (2006). It was just built-up backlog and a desire to be fiscally conservative and not buy games way in advance of when I'd play them, since even if they were 75% off, they'd probably be 75% off of a lower price in the future. Though by the next sale, I may be in a different mindset entirely.

Cities Skylines is a third off on Greenmangaming for about $20, in case anybody still hasn't gotten it yet. Real good steal for a great game.

GMG has its summer sale going on, for that matter.

CKII sales on steam, GMG, and the PI store. Except the newest expansion, of course.

This week's Humble Bundle includes Guns of Icarus Online Collector's Edition (soundtrack, some bonus costumes, a 33% off coupon for the co-op Adventure expansion) in the first tier. For $1 it's a steal, small community (usually around 300 or so people on, sometimes more sometimes less) but generally friendly and the devs play the game too. Great airship combat game which is still seeing updates.

I know nothing about the other games though.

Top Bottom