What are the moral differences between premeditated and non-premeditated violence?

Eukaryote

Deity
This is a non-partisan political discussion question that I am posting because it interests me?

Question: What are the moral differences between premeditated and non-premeditated violence?

Sub-question 1: When determining the proper prison sentence for a murder, should we take into account whether or not the crime was premeditated?

Sub-question 2: When determining the proper prison sentence for a rape, should we take into account whether or not the crime was premeditated?

Sub-question 3: When determining the proper prison sentence for an assault, should we take into account whether or not the crime was premeditated?

Sub-question 4: Does premeditated violence require greater malevolence from the perpetrator than non-premeditated violence?

I await your replies.

Pre-meditated violence requires existent intent, an intent to harm another person. Intention is derived from the intrinsic character of a party. People who have an intention to be violent have a malicious character. Character defines a person. Someone with intent to do violence has a malicious character and a malicious character makes someone a bad person. TWe punish bad people more than we punish good or morally neutral people. Therefore we punish people who pre-mediate violence because they are bad people.

In contrast, a person who does not intend to do violence but performs a violent act does so not because of a violent intention. Character becomes less of a factor. Instead, non-intentional violence is often the result of extrinsic circumstances. As such, non-intentional violence addresses less one's intrinsic personhood. Therefore, a person who commits unintentional violence is less likely to be a bad person than one who commits intentional violence.

What about a person who is inclined to violence who commits a violent act impulsively, and often repeatedly?

Premeditated violence is an act of intellect. And non-premeditated is counter-intellectual act. Intellect is of higher moral value (demonstration: Why don't we euthanize homeless or starving African kids? But why not? We euthanize dogs and cats!)

Only an individual story which led to an act of violence may be used as an excuse for better treatment. Both premeditated and non-premeditated criminal acts may come from the perpetrator have been harmed or provocated in one way or the other.

There is no justifucation for violence !! Hey somebody had to say it ! Don't blame me ! Violence is ed and that's that ! If You are okay with violence, than simply something is seriosly ed up in Your life period.

The legal answer is obvious but not really relevant to the morality question.

I don't really know the answer to the morality question.

It does seem to me that claiming that premeditated violence is worse implies that you're morally better off commiting violent acts the less intelligent you are. Which I guess is true, since we don't ascribe morality to beings of subhuman intelligence.

I think an important distinction is that in pre-meditated violence, the violent party has had an opportunity to cool off from whatever it was that compelled them to violence, as well as a chance to think through their actions, but still decided to go through with it. This clearly shows malicious intention, and often times in such cases one could argue that a reasonable person would realize violence wasn't the best way to go about taking care of whatever situation it was. By comparison, with non-pre-meditated violence, spirits are often still running high. One could argue, depending on the case, that an average person would be compelled to violence in such situations. It's somewhat related to the concept of fighting words - there are certainly words that can be said and actions that can be done that incite violent action in a lot of people, and it can't be entirely surprising if violent action results from them. It isn't so much someone's character driving them to violence in that situation as their inherent characteristics as a human.

But of course there are many shades of gray in this distinction. Formaldehyde raises an excellent point. If someone does have a history of violence, it can certainly be argued when they commit another non-pre-meditated act that they have not tried to address their violence problems. And I don't think it's inherently unfair for them to be treated more harshly than someone without a history of violence, if only because it sends a message that they need to try to avoid such situations. If you've got 5 records of non-pre-meditated assault in 10 years, you need to start avoiding the situations that are leading to that.

You could also, in rarer occasions, make a case that even in pre-meditated violence, an average person may be compelled to it. This is a lot narrower of a window, but in cases where the violent person was abused or otherwise heavily controlled by others over a long period of time, it could be argued that many people would snap and perhaps act out on a violent plan they'd considered but not done in the past. But the person in this case would have to have already been under the influence of demonstrably "bad" people to really make this case.

As for the sub-questions, it depends. For murder, perhaps it should affect the severity of the sentence, but not significantly, unless the murder was not intentional (in which case, it would be manslaughter, I think?) - such as if it would have been assault, but by an unforeseen circumstance it became fatal. In that case, you could make a case that the aggressor was prodded to actions by fighting words or similar as may apply, and it would have been assault had not something happened (like a car unexpectedly coming quickly when the aggressor shoved the other person into the street). For something like that, there's a considerable difference between bad circumstances and intentionally shoving someone into a car's path. Another example could be shoving someone, and they slip on ice and die of severe head injury. If it's non-premeditated, it's quite plausibly accidental that the person died; if it's pre-meditated, the meditator had time to realize the potential consequences of their actions and there's less room for claiming it was just bad luck.

If the murder was intentional, even if it was not pre-meditated, the penalty should be severe, though perhaps somewhat less. But if the aggressor punches someone to death, they had time to realize that the person was beat up and stop before they died, and if they shoot someone, they have to be aware of the risk of someone dying (an exception being if self-defence was involved, which may apply). So I wouldn't make it too much less severe.

I don't think there should be any difference in cases of rape. Having a difference would signify that it is OK or less bad in some cases. And you can't really make a case that some unforeseen, uncontrollable circumstance escalated it beyond what was intended.

For assault, I think it does depend on whether it is pre-meditated. The "fighting words" case can certainly apply, and if something like that happens and someone gets beat up, it isn't entirely surprising. Whereas if someone decided to just go beat someone up in their front yard or at an event that they know the other person will be at, they are well aware of what they are doing and are asking for trouble. So I think there is a significant difference there, and the sentence (and potentially, whether there even is a sentence) should take that into account.

For question 4, see above, but I would say usually. In extreme cases, perhaps not, but usually, it does, since that malevolence must continue for a much longer period of time.

It does seem to me that claiming that premeditated violence is worse implies that you're morally better off commiting violent acts the less intelligent you are. Which I guess is true, since we don't ascribe morality to beings of subhuman intelligence.

Which naturally leads to growing number of stupid and violent people.

Premeditated or non-premediated is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Whether one planned to murder (or some other act of violence) someone two weeks in advance or decided to do it *bam* right then and there, they still actively chose to murder someone. Couldn't care less how long they thought about it.

Now, what should make a difference, though it is outside the scope of your question, is whether (continuing with murder) they meant to kill someone. What I mean is... ah crap, let's have some hobbits help me explain it:
  • Bilbo plans to murder Sam and works it all out over a few weeks and then commits the act.
  • Bilbo is having a nice dinner with Rosie and Sam saunters over and kisses Rosie and tries to lead her away to dance. Bilbo leaps up, screams "I will kill you for that" and shoves Sting into Sam's chest.
Both of the above a willful acts of murder. It doesn't matter to me that one was planned out in detail whereas the other was a spur of the moment decision. However the following...
  • Bilbo is having a nice dinner with Rosie and Sam saunters over and kisses Rosie and tries to lead her away to dance. Bilbo leaps up, screams "I'm gonna leave you black and blue for that" and punchces Sam square in the face.
Unfortunately for both Sam and Bilbo, Bilbo's punch shoved Sam's little hobbit nose bone right up into Sam's little hobbit brain, causing instant death. This should not be treated the same as murder in the other two instances.

Premeditated or non-premediated is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Whether one planned to murder (or some other act of violence) someone two weeks in advance or decided to do it *bam* right then and there, they still actively chose to murder someone. Couldn't care less how long they thought about it.

Now, what should make a difference, though it is outside the scope of your question, is whether (continuing with murder) they meant to kill someone. What I mean is... ah crap, let's have some hobbits help me explain it:
  • Bilbo plans to murder Sam and works it all out over a few weeks and then commits the act.
  • Bilbo is having a nice dinner with Rosie and Sam saunters over and kisses Rosie and tries to lead her away to dance. Bilbo leaps up, screams "I will kill you for that" and shoves Sting into Sam's chest.
Both of the above a willful acts of murder. It doesn't matter to me that one was planned out in detail whereas the other was a spur of the moment decision. However the following...
  • Bilbo is having a nice dinner with Rosie and Sam saunters over and kisses Rosie and tries to lead her away to dance. Bilbo leaps up, screams "I'm gonna leave you black and blue for that" and punchces Sam square in the face.
Unfortunately for both Sam and Bilbo, Bilbo's punch shoved Sam's little hobbit nose bone right up into Sam's little hobbit brain, causing instant death. This should not be treated the same as murder in the other two instances.

Where does Bilbo's best efforts to murder Sam fall if he's unable to successfully do so? Is that not as bad as the accidental homicide?

Oh. Well personally I've never understood why people are given lesser sentences just because the were incompetent in the crime they attempted to commit. If it were up to me, they'd get the same punishment for attempting as they would if they had been successful.

Oh. Well personally I've never understood why people are given lesser sentences just because the were incompetent in the crime they attempted to commit. If it were up to me, they'd get the same punishment for attempting as they would if they had been successful.

This is something I've always agreed should be true.

But when Bilbo murders Sam the key is to convince everyone that he only meant to leave Sam black and blue and it's only his own incompetence (in not killing Sam) that led to Sam's death?

I assumed by the OP that we should take at face value whether someone had planned to do something, did it on the spur of the moment, was accidental, or whatever. Seems like it is beyond the scope to try to introduce whether they were lying about something.

Someone hurting someone else in a flash of extreme emotion without thinking of consequences is less villainous then conspiring to hurt someone, assessing consequences, then acting out on it. As such it should bear less harsh punishment.

So you think that someone who happens to think in a villainous manner is more deserving of punishment for same actual act? That's thought police.

Top Bottom