What are you watching on YouTube now ?

I put these in the YouTube thread instead of the music thread on purpose, because there's some music I enjoy a lot more when I'm seeing it performed, rather than just listening to it on my headphones when I'm out and about.

Another case of "wtf just happened to the last 20 years?" :lol: Epica's "Cry for the Moon", from The Phantom Agony (2003), was my introduction to symphonic metal. This vid is an in-studio 'live one-take' rather than a concert performance, but sometimes those are great. There's actually a whole tv series, Live From Abbey Road, that's nothing but bands doing 'live one-take' performances at Abbey Road Studio in London, that's worth checking out if you're a music nerd. And it's not just metal bands, it's all kinds of stuff.

My favorite of the symphonic-metal live YouTube performances subgenre is probably Nightwish's "Ghost Love Score", specifically the Buenos Aires 2012 performance. I've spent more than one evening watching Nightwish live videos, and this one's usually first.

Lifa by Heilung (2017) isn't symphonic metal, it's a runescribed, dragonbone portal to a dark-fantasy world. Spears and shields will be provided to those conscripted to push back the goblin horde after the show. If you're a healer, do let the woman with the antlers know. Her name's Maria. Otherwise, just stay together, you'll be fine.

I put these in the YouTube thread instead of the music thread on purpose, because there's some music I enjoy a lot more when I'm seeing it performed, rather than just listening to it on my headphones when I'm out and about.

Another case of "wtf just happened to the last 20 years?" :lol: Epica's "Cry for the Moon", from The Phantom Agony (2003), was my introduction to symphonic metal. This vid is an in-studio 'live one-take' rather than a concert performance, but sometimes those are great. There's actually a whole tv series, Live From Abbey Road, that's nothing but bands doing 'live one-take' performances at Abbey Road Studio in London, that's worth checking out if you're a music nerd. And it's not just metal bands, it's all kinds of stuff.

My favorite of the symphonic-metal live YouTube performances subgenre is probably Nightwish's "Ghost Love Score", specifically the Buenos Aires 2012 performance. I've spent more than one evening watching Nightwish live videos, and this one's usually first.

Lifa by Heilung (2017) isn't symphonic metal, it's a runescribed, dragonbone portal to a dark-fantasy world. Spears and shields will be provided to those conscripted to push back the goblin horde after the show. If you're a healer, do let the woman with the antlers know. Her name's Maria. Otherwise, just stay together, you'll be fine.

Watched that Epica one 2010. 14 years ago.

Saw Heilung live last year, was an incredible experience. This is from the show I was at:

You've misinterpreted their music though. It's not fanatsy, it's history. It's a journey to our past. The name Heilung does mean healing, but it's not some fanatsy cleric thing, it's meant in a more spiritual sense, bringing the listener to a better state through the experience of the music. The music about the pre-Christian germanic people of northern Europe, their culture, myths etc. basing their songs on suriving material from this era - even the languages sung/spoken are historical Germanic ones (old Norse, Gothic, old English, etc. even some reconstructed proto-Norse and proto-Germanic I think). They use runes because that's what the historical material they're using is written in (and they're, unsurprisingly given their knowledge of the sources, using runes correctly unlike 90+% of fanatsy settings I've come across....).

Saw Heilung live last year, was an incredible experience. This is from the show I was at:

You've misinterpreted their music though. It's not fanatsy, it's history. It's a journey to our past. The name Heilung does mean healing, but it's not some fanatsy cleric thing, it's meant in a more spiritual sense, bringing the listener to a better state through the experience of the music. The music about the pre-Christian germanic people of northern Europe, their culture, myths etc. basing their songs on suriving material from this era - even the languages sung/spoken are historical Germanic ones (old Norse, Gothic, old English, etc. even some reconstructed proto-Norse and proto-Germanic I think). They use runes because that's what the historical material they're using is written in (and they're, unsurprisingly given their knowledge of the sources, using runes correctly unlike 90+% of fanatsy settings I've come across....).
I was being cheeky. But yes, I'd love to see them live. They're playing about 50 miles/80 km from me in April. I haven't decided whether I want to make the trip. I could take the train, but the show starts at 9:00pm and the last train home is at 11:25pm. The theater and the train station are only about 1km apart, though, so that could be doable.

I was being cheeky. But yes, I'd love to see them live. They're playing about 50 miles/80 km from me in April. I haven't decided whether I want to make the trip. I could take the train, but the show starts at 9:00pm and the last train home is at 11:25pm. The theater and the train station are only about 1km apart, though, so that could be doable.
It could take quite a while to get out of the actual venue.
If you need to start a little early for the train, just get up and shout,
"Now do Wonder Wall!", and the friendly security people will make sure you're one of the first outside.

:lol:

Could I ask you to post this in the All Things Harry Potter thread in A&E, as well, please?

Iron Mask (2019)
Free movie on YouTube: Choice!
Cast combo interested me: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, Rutger Hauer and Charles Dance.
Sequel to a Gogol horror story, Viy: hooked.

I bailed out after 15 minutes.

I liked the pig-drawn cart. Perfect for nipping down to the shops for a dozen eggs.

This should probably go into the Music thread, but Ganacci's music videos are just too awesome. The music is nice too

Top Bottom