What are you watching on Youtube, right now? Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the gestures and facial expressions of the 3 who aren't playing at a given moment. I like the guy's sense of showmanship. Metallica is the only band here I'm very familiar with. You can really hear New York punk in the Anthrax guitar - Cro Mags; Sick of it All; Agnostic Front. If Scott Ian and I had been the same age, I could imagine us having been in some of the same pits. Anthrax's version of "Got the Time" is one of my favorite covers, incidentally. Hearing the super-crisp Megadeth guitar and the sludgy Slayer back-to-back is kind of fun, too.

I could really use some help from y'all. This is my first proper video I guess. If you ever wanted to hear my voice, there you are. Please critisize everything you can. Tell me what I can do better. I'm only doing this for fun, I've no intentions of ever going professional, that just takes up too much time, but I still want my videos to be enjoyable :)

So yeah. This is me, please give me some feedback :)

thank you so much for your comment, didn't expect anything but feedback off of posting my video at all :)

do tell me what games you're interested in seeing, because I play a really wide variety:

AoE2 and Age of Mythology
Diablo, Titan Quest and Path of Exile
All Elder Scrolls titles
Hearthstone
Outward
All FromSoftware games
Civ 5 & 6
and I am generally open to all and every retro game, I have a real kicker for everything that is either obscure or weird. maybe at some point in time I'll do a LSD: Dream Simulator playthrough

just keep in mind that I don't care for the really popular titles like Overwatch, LoL, PUBG, or any sports games :)

have a nice day!

Watching [Johnson Plays], the voice is smooth and comes accross very well. You speak low and that is fine.
I think you use 3 audio inputs (game, voice and post-prod sound effects or live samples). In terms of relative volume, your FX are too loud. It's possible the game effects can be raised.
As a general rule, the viewer adjusts his own volume on your voice. Then you consider the volume range. In radio, they use a lot of machinery (compressors, limiters) to keep the volume variations within 8dB. It produces some distortion but it also means people with a crappy sound system or a car engine running can hear it all.
So, maybe you can use this rule of thumb to adjust your relative volumes. (I don't think you've got access to heavy machinery.)
Voice is your 0. Game is your -4dB. FX, I dunno, lower than the voice but probably higher than the game's volume.

Your overall voice volume can also probably be raised. People (with crappy systems) can more easily tone the volume down than they can raise it.
You could open a random mp3 file for reference and use it to adjust/normalize the final volume you want.

It can take a little while adjusting those settings properly but then it's done once and for all.
Hope that helps, good luck, it's a good and fun exercise to speak live into a microphone :)

edit : it's possible what I took for your own sound effects are game effects. I don't know what the source is. If they are game effects, those are a lot louder than both your voice and the game's atmosphere. Not sure if there are several in-game audio levels.

Last edited:
I've played Enderal, too, and liked it very much so far. After I finished modding Skyrim I will surely return to it. Daddy wants some fresh meat!

Watching [Johnson Plays], the voice is smooth and comes accross very well. You speak low and that is fine.
I think you use 3 audio inputs (game, voice and post-prod sound effects or live samples). In terms of relative volume, your FX are too loud. It's possible the game effects can be raised.
As a general rule, the viewer adjusts his own volume on your voice. Then you consider the volume range. In radio, they use a lot of machinery (compressors, limiters) to keep the volume variations within 8dB. It produces some distortion but it also means people with a crappy sound system or a car engine running can hear it all.
So, maybe you can use this rule of thumb to adjust your relative volumes. (I don't think you've got access to heavy machinery.)
Voice is your 0. Game is your -4dB. FX, I dunno, lower than the voice but probably higher than the game's volume.

Your overall voice volume can also probably be raised. People (with crappy systems) can more easily tone the volume down than they can raise it.
You could open a random mp3 file for reference and use it to adjust/normalize the final volume you want.

It can take a little while adjusting those settings properly but then it's done once and for all.
Hope that helps, good luck, it's a good and fun exercise to speak live into a microphone :)

edit : it's possible what I took for your own sound effects are game effects. I don't know what the source is. If they are game effects, those are a lot louder than both your voice and the game's atmosphere. Not sure if there are several in-game audio levels.

very smart, you instantly figured out my recording setup. yes, exactly, I use 3 different audio inputs. I definitely agree the FX were too loud and the voice was too low. the hint with 8dB is insanely useful, I had not known that, even though I produced a short piece for German radio last semester :lol:

yes, I agree about the microphone. what I've loved most about recording myself is this weird cathartic quality that comes with hearing your own voice removed from time and place and vocal chords, reflecting on yourself not only through the voices in your head, but directly. it's very odd seeing yourself mirrored like that.

last year I was on national television and while it felt pretty okay while we were live, going back and watching it was intensely weird. my body language, voice, intonation, felt all over the place. I noticed things about me I had never seen before. I think the path that leads one to enlightenment or spiralling into insanity is one and the same, new levels of reflection :D

Last edited:
Will you use a mirror or a transistor to touch your own reflection ?

I think the voice works both in the beginning, when you're more controlled (because you remain fluid and are not crispated) and in the latter parts, when you are more natural and emotive (because you do not get wildly emotive - sharing a bit of fun is fine, as long as it doesn't get exceedingly strident).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom