What Are Your FAVORITE Improvements to Build on PLAINS and Why? (ALL CIV GAMES)

Plains-Cow

Best Resource; Always Wins
Thread title speaks for itself. I find plains to be very interesting tiles because, although food-poor, I think they have lots of potential if there's a food resource around. I typically find myself turning cities with a lot of plains tiles into farm-heavy production centers or cottaging them over if there's a food resource around to help offset the lack of food.

In Alpha Centauri I'll almost always plant a forest: nice aesthetically to walk thru on a leisurely day, and a nice defensive bonus in case those pesky Hive comes calling. :ar15:

In BE I'll almost aways build a Generator, cuz my colony always needs more energy. :gold:

D

Civ II/Civ IITOT: Depends on what is needed. Not all maps have plains.

I've only played Civ3 to any significant degree, and what I do with my Plains is situational.

Early to mid-game with a freshwater source, Plains will be almost uniformly roaded and irrigated -- unless they're near Floodplains, in which case they'll be roaded and mined to balance the excess food.

Industrial / Modern era, I'll usually have a large stack of Workers(Foreign), so they'll be railing everything, Foresting/chopping Plains (and Grassland) into e.g Factories in the core or Courthouses in the sticks, and then mining or (re-)irrigating the chopped tiles depending on whether I want shields (core) or food (farms).

In civ 3 i was taught to irrigate the brown and mine the green while you have despotism. When you get a better government it's totally situational, usually do keep irrigating plains though.

In civ2 I change them to grasslands :mwaha:

Civ6: nothing at all, usually. Better off building a mine on a hill or, best of all, chopping, in nearly all instances. Hardly ever invest builder charges into plains.

If you’re thinking about that, it’s time to go conquer something with choppable resources.

Civ 4, cottage. Farm if it’s a junk city, whip in something of value

Am I the only one thinking it's kinda weird for something to be too on-topic to be in OT?

Am I the only one thinking it's kinda weird for something to be too on-topic to be in OT?
It's on-topic enough to be on Civfanatics, off-topic enough to be in OT.

Encompasses all CIV games, and it can be random to the point where people say they like building a particular improvement just because of the way it looks.

(The correct answer is pasture, btw.)

MMMmmmm. Stockyards.

Honestly, I'm shocked this is the first one I've seen like this. But I like to flout the rules, so I'm all for this.

Only play CivII. Irrigate, road, then change to farmland.

In Civ V, pretty much your only choices are farm or trading post (unless it also has a resource, and then you just develop that resource). So I always just go with a farm.

Are we allowed to talk about Civilization games here? :lol:

Sorry about my poor attempt at a joke. But seriously....

In both C3C and CiV I irrigate then road plains tiles. Haven't played Civ 6 much to determine what I'd do there and I haven't played Civ 2 in such a long time that I can't remember what I did with plains.

Are we allowed to talk about Civilization games here? :lol:

Sorry about my poor attempt at a joke. But seriously....

In both C3C and CiV I irrigate then road plains tiles. Haven't played Civ 6 much to determine what I'd do there and I haven't played Civ 2 in such a long time that I can't remember what I did with plains.

I support jokes. I also support plains-related discussion across the series unironically.

Top Bottom