What book are you currently reading?

I have to admit that I've probably never even heard of Infinite Jest. Only now noticed that it's mentioned as some sort of classic. A quick glance through the Wikipedia article gives the impression that it's something like Pynchon, or even Joyce's Ulysses:
participants were challenged to read and complete David Foster Wallace's novel Infinite Jest at a rate of about 75 pages a week from June 21 to September 22, 2009.

Just wondering here how laborious it is to read...

Equal Rites, by Terry Pratchett. Believe it or not, I've only been introduced to the Discworld series of novels recently, and have gotten hooked. :D Pratchett's work is simply amazing on so many different levels.

Better late than never. My personal favourites are The Night Watch, Guards! Guards!, Feet of Clay, and The Truth, if only for the line "The truth shall make ye Fred".

Equal Rites was the first one I read and it's rather awesome, so good for you! Strong female characters are awesome and there's the loltastic (though maybe apocryphal) story that people apparently mistook "Terry" as a female author at times earlier on.

Have you guys read Good Omens? Pratchett with Neil Gaiman. I recommend the bejaysus out of it.

Plot summary for the uninitiated:

Spoiler :
It is the coming of the End Times: the Apocalypse is near, and Final Judgment will soon descend upon the human race. This comes as a bit of bad news to the angel Aziraphale (who was the angel of the Garden of Eden) and the demon Crowley (who, when he was originally named Crawly, was the serpent who tempted Eve to eat the apple), respectively the representatives of God and Satan on Earth, as they have become used to living their cozy, comfortable lives and have, in a perverse way, taken a liking to humanity. As such, since they are good friends (despite ostensibly representing the polar opposites of Good and Evil), they decide to work together and keep an eye on the Antichrist, destined to be the son of a prominent American diplomat stationed in Britain, and thus ensure he grows up in a way that means he can never decide between Good and Evil, thereby postponing the end of the world.

Unfortunately, Warlock, the child everyone thinks is the Anti-Christ is, in fact, a perfectly normal eleven-year-old boy. Owing to a mix-up at birth, the real Anti-Christ is in fact Adam Young, a charismatic and slightly otherworldly eleven-year-old who, despite being the harbinger of the Apocalypse, has lived a perfectly normal life as the son of typical English parents and as a result has no idea of his true powers. As Adam blissfully and naively uses his powers, creating around him the world of Just William (because he thinks that is what an English child's life should be like), the race is on to find him—the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse assemble and the incredibly accurate (yet so highly specific as to be useless) prophecies of Agnes Nutter, seventeenth-century prophetess, are rapidly coming true.

Agnes Nutter was a witch in the 17th century and the only truly accurate prophet to have ever lived. She wrote a book called The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, a collection of prophecies that did not sell very well because they were unspectacular, cryptic and, ironically enough, all true. She, in fact, decided to publish it only so that she could receive a free author's copy. There is only one copy of the book left, which belongs to her descendant Anathema Device. Agnes was burned at the stake by a mob (because that is what mobs did at that time); however, because she had foreseen her fiery end ("ye're tardy; I should have been aflame ten minutes since") and had packed 80 pounds of gunpowder and 40 pounds of roofing nails into her petticoats, everyone who participated in the burning was killed instantly.

Anathema teams up with Newton Pulsifer, the descendant of the man who initiated the burning of Agnes, to use the prophesies and find the Antichrist. Unfortunately, that is exactly what everyone else is trying to do, and time is running out.

I still think Good Omens is the best thing that Pratchett has ever done. It is brilliant.

I re-read Equal Rites myself a couple of months ago. I previously hadn't thought much of the very early Discworld books (other than Mort, which I think is the funniest of them all), but I was surprised on re-reading it to find how good it was. At the moment I'm re-reading some of the early late-period ones (I think) - just finished The Fifth Elephant and am currently on The Truth - and they are very good indeed. I think it was around this time that the serious intent of Pratchett's work became more apparent, although it had always been there.

I still think Good Omens is the best thing that Pratchett has ever done. It is brilliant.

Agreed! Supposedly it's being adapted into a TV series (?) with Terry Jones screenwriting, but I can't find anything official to confirm. According to Wiki, Neil Gaiman announced this just a couple weeks ago on his website, but I can't find it right now.

Finished "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Cancy, reading "Hunt for Red October" by Tom Clancy and going to start "Storming Intrepid" by Payne Harrison.

All three take place during the Cold War.

The Mirror and the Lamp - Meyer H. Abrams

I'm only on chapter four, but this is some great literary criticism. I wish I had discovered this book years ago.

I'm still juggling various novels from the Brother Cadfael, Marcus Didus Falco and Roman Mysteries series, as well as various historical novels I bought from my local Emmaus at 80p a go. I read far too slowly for all the books I own! :)

I'm still juggling various novels from the Brother Cadfael, Marcus Didus Falco and Roman Mysteries series, as well as various historical novels I bought from my local Emmaus at 80p a go. I read far too slowly for all the books I own! :)

ooo. I love Cadfael!

Have you seen the tv show?

Of course, back when I was 16 or so, before the days of video players. :old: I even own them on ITV DVD. :D

I'm currently working on The Road by Cormac McCarthy (about a hundred pages in). I'm having mixed feelings; Reading about the protagonists' struggle in the crapsack world is mighty depressing, but at the same time it's really heartwarming how much the father cares about the boy. I'm rooting for the protagonists more than usually, but it's difficult to see how this story could have an even remotely happy ending.

It isn't out yet but it comes out later this month, its the first book of a series of 9 by an up and comming author named Ryan Tomasella. Drylor The First Artifact is the first book in the series and it follows a man named Von as he struggles to regain his memory and stop his brother from destroying everything.

The back of the book:

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through
an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has
happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail
cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and
halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.
It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he
meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail
cell while deciding his destiny.

As Von’s memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only
one who can protect Drylor—a world that abandoned him—
from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the
truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing
to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet
from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Von’s past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon
realizes the only way he can end his brother’s heartless
massacres is to find him and kill him.

For how long the information about this book has been out, it's developed quite a following on facebook already. It's something I would definitely recommend checking out.

I bought a new edition of most of Poe's prose, titled Διηγήσεις (Diegeseis=narrations) :)

I probably have everything already, but i am collecting the editions of some authors, including Poe's ;)

Also i re-read two excellent short stories, De Maupassant's "Muaron" and Hesse's "The end of Dr. Knelge".

I'm currently working on The Road by Cormac McCarthy (about a hundred pages in). I'm having mixed feelings; Reading about the protagonists' struggle in the crapsack world is mighty depressing, but at the same time it's really heartwarming how much the father cares about the boy. I'm rooting for the protagonists more than usually, but it's difficult to see how this story could have an even remotely happy ending.

McCarthy is one of my favorites. I'd be interested in listening to your thoughts at the end of this one. From others as well.

Its the happiest story he ever wrote. Keep going.

Top Bottom