• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What book are you reading, ιf' - Iff you read books

Does exist any Lord of the rings edition adapted to 8-10 years old kids?
If not, do yo know any similar book?
I generally stay away from adapted/simplified children's editions, since there usually are plenty of really good books that were intended for children in the first place.
In your specific case I'd highly recommend The Letter for the King by Tonke Dragt as well as its sequel The Secrets of the Wild Wood.

I really enjoyed Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain when I was about that age. (That was shortly before Disney made The Black Cauldron, a fairly awful mashup of the first two books in the series).

My boys (aged 6 and 8 at the time) liked them too, when we did the entre pentalogy as bedtime stories (but you do have to do different voices for each character!).

Last edited:
I finished Imperial Earth (1975) by Arthur C. Clarke. Can't recommend it. A real slog that hints at something interesting near the end, and then ends. Oh well. Nobody bats 1.000, I guess.

Wouldn't The Hobbit somewhat work in that role?

Yup. That's The Hobbit, which was incidentally the first book I ever bought, back when I was nine years old.

Peter Jackson's.
Josu said:
Tolkien himself said that C.S. Lewis' Narnia books were of that, uhm, índole.

Yeah, I guess, kind of ... Although unless one is already a Believer, or otherwise enjoys being preached at, I'd recommend stopping at least one book before The Last Battle.

The film adaptations weren't too bad, though.

The Prince Caspian film had an entirely unnecessary romance shoehorned in for no apparent reason. The siege at the end was overly dramatic, but at least that was there to provide a spectacular climax.

I loved the Narnia series as a child, and they still have a special place in my heart, even though the casual racism / Western chauvinism getting increasingly noticeable on every reread soured my experience.

As compared to the swarthy, slant-eyed hordes coming from the East in Sauron's support during the War of the Ring?

I read the full version to my 8-10 year old son. The Redwall series is wonderful for that age group or even a bit younger.

Yup. That's The Hobbit, which was incidentally the first book I ever bought, back when I was nine years old.
Me two (I mean, that was my introduction into Tolkien)! And also incidentally, the "bigger stage" books (or movies) somehow... failed to impress me, lol.
Probably because Bilbo is about first-person adventures, while Frodo is more about watching someone play Warcraft, which isn't too interesting to READ (or, it seems, to WATCH either).
Well, that's how I feel about the difference, yeah.

The BBC series? Ahhh... That might actually have been what I was thinking of when I wrote the post above. But the first movie (which is the only one that I've seen, of the three(?) that were made) was also pretty faithful to the book, IIRC (this time!).

The film was pretty good, yes. The 1980s adaptation of TLtW&tW was also really good for its time.

Top Bottom