What book are you reading, ιf' - Iff you read books

Ouch. Sounds like a pain in the arse. Too late to back down once you've started it, I guess
Not really. Life is short, books are many. I'm good at cutting bait and moving on.

Just finished The Door to Door Bookstore, a German novel in translation about a man who delivers books after hours and who is befriended by a young girl. Very sweet little title about human connection and literature.

I've been re-re-re-(add a couple of dozen 're') reading Rissa and Tregare by F.M. Busby.

I've just started reading Infinity Gate (2023) by M.R. Carey. I really connect with his writing style. He's somehow able to breathe new life into stories that you'd think are overdone, worn-out, cliche-ridden piles of [poo]. He also wrote The Girl With All the Gifts (2014) and if I told you the premises of these two books, you'd roll your eyes and yawn with excitement, and I wouldn't blame you. Infinity Gate is about a multiverse and appears to be moving into military sci-fi featuring a multi-species federation battling some kind of terrible enemy. I know, you want to hang yourself just thinking about reading another story like that. The Girls With All the Gifts is about a zombie apocalypse. Zzzz.... wake me before the Sun expands into a Red Giant and swallows the Earth... And yet I'm riveted. I can't wait to get through a few more pages at lunchtime. Reminds me a bit of The Last of Us, in the sense that its strengths aren't in its premise or its setting, and yet if someone asks you what it's about, you'd be hard-pressed to say, without referencing its setting and its premise.

(Not everything he touches turns to gold. I also read The Boy on the Bridge, the sequel to The Girls With All the Gifts, and it was just okay. I gave The Book of Koli a try, but it just didn't draw me in and I never finished it. It's possible I just wasn't in the mood for what he was serving up that day. Sometimes that happens. Sometimes I go back and watch a movie, or play a game, or read a book that I just didn't get into on my first try, and I find that I love it.)

Working on both Bad Religion by Ross Douhat and Archaeology from Space by Sarah Parcak.

I've been reading Freedom From Fear by Kennedy. It's part of the Oxford History of the United States series, and covers the time period 1929-1945. The opening being about the Depression and Hoover's time in office, then more Depression and FDR's time in office, followed by WWII and yet more of FDR's time in office.

While good and informative, it's also huge and dense. And the author occasionally uses words that even someone fairly well read like I am doesn't know. I've had it on my shelf for a couple years, but the size of it was daunting while I was working, to put that much attention into it. Now that I'm out of work for a while, I decided to go for it. 3/4 done now.

The opening being about the Depression and Hoover's time in office, then more Depression and FDR's time in office, followed by WWII and yet more of FDR's time in office.
Yes, there was a lot of that in those days.
And the author occasionally uses words that even someone fairly well read like I am doesn't know.
Oh, now I'm curious.

I have just finished reading

The Thousand Earths

by

Steve Baxter

copyright 2022

It is about a taveller called John Hackett who spent 5 million years travelling to Andromeda before returning to Earth,
then five billion years travelling to the Perseus super cluster before returning, then marooned for a trillion years.

There is a sub plot about Mela and a few individuals who are stuck on an ever shrinking artificial earth.

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've read several books during that time, just haven't had the energy to post about them.

Having finished The Fellowship of the Ring I intended to go straight to The Two Towers, but logistical problems got in the way of accessing my paperback copy. So I decided to finish my uncompleted books on my phone in the meanwhile.

Best Russian Short Stories (English translation) had some good stories. Dethroned by I.N. Potapenko was a cheery and humorous affair; it's about a battle between Mrs. Zubkin and Mrs. Shaldin (wives of officers quartered in Chmyrsk) to outshine each other in the upcoming annual ball. Poor Abramka the tailor is the target of their machinations, as he tries to secure both their services while running the risk of losing both. The Darling by Anton P. Chekov I found so-so; a tale of the life and fortunes of the unfortunate and oblivious 'darling', told humourously though the actual story is closer to tragedy. I think I mentioned The Lover by Maxim Gorky before. Even if I did, I'll do it again, because it's my favourite in the collection, and I can't recommend it enough. A major reason why it's my favourite is how the warmth of human sympathy of this story contrasts with the cold indifference of the majority of the rest. Lazarus by Leonid Andreyev was very well-written, very strongly and masterfully. The Outrage - A True Story by Aleksander I. Krupin is another humorous story: an association of gentlemanly thieves outraged at their portrayal by the press and the police. Interestingly, the chairman of the association, while disassociating himself and his comrades from the more violent criminals states with horror that they would even participate in an anti-Jewish pogrom (the violent criminals, not the association of thieves, by the way).

I also finished The Best American Humorous Short Stories, which I began more than two years ago. The Angel of the Odd by Edgar Allan Poe is a story of a man beset by some sort of maliciously mischievous demon or imp: it has one of my favourite lines in the collection:
I now considered it high time to die (since fortune had so determined to persecute me)...
Titbottom's Spectacles is fascinating, not least for the awesome name of the possessor of the spectacles. The writing is almost too good (and too earnest) for a humorous story. I'm not even sure why it's included here. Although there is some bit of humour here and there, Titbottom's tale is a tragic one. Also the ultimate tragedy doesn't make sense. Still, the writing is very muscular, I enjoyed reading it. The collection includes The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain, which I had already read before, and which though excellent enough on its own terms, in my opinion has nothing on another short story of Mark Twain's about an unfortunate who travels in a train with the dead body of his friend (admittedly a sordid setting, but Twain's writing is belly-achingly uproarious). Elder Brown's Backslide by Harry Stillwell Edwards is nice little story of the trials and travails of one Elder Brown, who travels to town for the first time in ages to do a bit of grocery shopping for his wife. The Duplicity of Hargraves by O. Henry is a delightfully warm and sympathetic story in the classic O. Henry style. O. Henry's affectionate depiction of a misty-eyed Southerner is a lesson in how to perceive and portray racists who aren't racists because they're evil but simply because of ignorance and/or a different perspective (which doesn't mean that perspective isn't wrong, just that they can't be blamed for it). The Major isn't even racist by that time's standards: he is happy to chat with an ex-slave of his and takes a genuine interest in his fortunes, though at the same time he yearns for the time before the war when the Talbot family was prosperous. My Double; And How He Did Undo Them is another one of my favourites from the collection: an overburdened minister hires a double to represent him while he takes to his passion for studying languages. The story is ripe with subtle comic moments. There is also an extremely amusing and interesting depiction of parish politics. The Buller-Podington Compact is a story of two close friends who have avoided visiting each other due to their phobia of the other's hobby: Buller sails a cat-boat while Podington is afraid of water, Podington drives a carriage while Buller is deadly afraid of horses. Comedy ensues when the two friends at last decide to visit each other. Colonel Starbottle for the Plaintiff is a comedic masterclass by the great Bret Harte. I had read Harte's poems before and enjoyed them immensely; this short story was no disappointment. The old-fashioned and super-gallant Colonel Starbottle finds himself fighting a strange case against his former client at the pleading of an also strange pretty young lady.

I finished Windsor Castle again. Again, because I thought I hadn't finished but left the last three chapters. Turned out that I was confusing it with Waverley, which I was just too exhausted to finish once the resolution became clear. Back to Windsor Castle. It's set in Tudor England during the reign of Henry VIII, who has just been married to Catherine of Aragon or Anne Boleyn. The story mostly focuses on a cast of clichéd characters at Windsor Castle. What really intrigued me about the story is the fearsome Hesse the Horseman, a mystic being who haunts the woods and whose actions lead to the protagonists to set out and save the kidnapped maiden and destroy him. The story is full of real figures from Tudor history. Interestingly, Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn also figure in the story, but aren't the main characters. However the narrative does shift the focus on to them for the last chapters.

I also decided to tackle Marcel Proust's Swann's Way (English translation) again. I remember that I had left it at the riveting part where the protagonist looks into his teacup and sees faces or something. However, I did manage to glean the ghost of a great story in the little I read, and besides I hate being baffled into leaving a book simply because I find it difficult to read, so I decided to give it one more try. Reading from the start again, I can appreciate why people think so highly of this book, but then I run into a passage like:
These shifting and confused gusts of memory never lasted for more than a few seconds; it often happened that, in my spell of uncertainty as to where I was, I did not distinguish the successive theories of which that uncertainty was composed any more than, when we watch a horse running, we isolate the successive positions of its body as they appear upon a bioscope. But I had seen first one and then another of the rooms in which I had slept during my life, and in the end I would revisit them all in the long course of my waking dream: rooms in winter, where on going to bed I would at once bury my head in a nest, built up out of the most diverse materials, the corner of my pillow, the top of my blankets, a piece of a shawl, the edge of my bed, and a copy of an evening paper, all of which things I would contrive, with the infinite patience of birds building their nests, to cement into one whole; rooms where, in a keen frost, I would feel the satisfaction of being shut in from the outer world (like the sea-swallow which builds at the end of a dark tunnel and is kept warm by the surrounding earth), and where, the fire keeping in all night, I would sleep wrapped up, as it were, in a great cloak of snug and savoury air, shot with the glow of the logs which would break out again in flame: in a sort of alcove without walls, a cave of warmth dug out of the heart of the room itself, a zone of heat whose boundaries were constantly shifting and altering in temperature as gusts of air ran across them to strike freshly upon my face, from the corners of the room, or from parts near the window or far from the fireplace which had therefore remained cold—or rooms in summer, where I would delight to feel myself a part of the warm evening, where the moonlight striking upon the half-opened shutters would throw down to the foot of my bed its enchanted ladder; where I would fall asleep, as it might be in the open air, like a titmouse which the breeze keeps poised in the focus of a sunbeam—or sometimes the Louis XVI room, so cheerful that I could never feel really unhappy, even on my first night in it: that room where the slender columns which lightly supported its ceiling would part, ever so gracefully, to indicate where the bed was and to keep it separate; sometimes again that little room with the high ceiling, hollowed in the form of a pyramid out of two separate storeys, and partly walled with mahogany, in which from the first moment my mind was drugged by the unfamiliar scent of flowering grasses, convinced of the hostility of the violet curtains and of the insolent indifference of a clock that chattered on at the top of its voice as though I were not there; while a strange and pitiless mirror with square feet, which stood across one corner of the room, cleared for itself a site I had not looked to find tenanted in the quiet surroundings of my normal field of vision: that room in which my mind, forcing itself for hours on end to leave its moorings, to elongate itself upwards so as to take on the exact shape of the room, and to reach to the summit of that monstrous funnel, had passed so many anxious nights while my body lay stretched out in bed, my eyes staring upwards, my ears straining, my nostrils sniffing uneasily, and my heart beating; until custom had changed the colour of the curtains, made the clock keep quiet, brought an expression of pity to the cruel, slanting face of the glass, disguised or even completely dispelled the scent of flowering grasses, and distinctly reduced the apparent loftiness of the ceiling. Custom! that skilful but unhurrying manager who begins by torturing the mind for weeks on end with her provisional arrangements; whom the mind, for all that, is fortunate in discovering, for without the help of custom it would never contrive, by its own efforts, to make any room seem habitable.
No wonder I didn't finish the book.

Last edited:
I started reading Tess of d'Urbevilles but unfortunately bounced off it since some of the descriptions felt a bit... abstract, as much as 19th century prose can get, and it didn't make sense to me... and though I know it got the action going, it also felt unnecessarily tragic at the start. It was no doubt sad, but... being exploited, then naming your son Sorrow... seemed like Tess was asking for it to die. Poor baby, and poor Tess; none of them deserved it. Haven't read past the time when Tess is frolicking with Angel Clare in the cattle station, though; when does Alec return to ruin the day?

I went back to the book shop while I was getting a key duplicated and found the book I was looking for when I got One Hundred Years of Solitude instead: Love in the Time of Cholera. Tess of d'Urbevilles was an e-book so maybe going back to paper like I had read One Hundred Years of Solitude might help. Though I've heard Love in the Time of Cholera has some pretty questionable scenes compared to One Hundred Years of Solitude, which was already a book that was hard to get through at points because of the, err, twisted promiscuity. Anyway, when I start university I hope to distract myself with some more reading.

It's Tess of the d'Urbevilles. It's the Victorian equivalent of "Hurt/No Comfort" fiction.

To be fair, I went into it knowing only the name of the book and without any preconceptions. I just knew it was Victorian.

I might keep going nonetheless. Right now have been too busy with getting ready for uni.

I'm almost through Never (2021) by Ken Follett. It's a halfway-compelling geopolitical thriller, but boy, the writing swings from just passable to downright terrible. Early in the book I was thinking, "was this written by a chatbot or something?" I've read a couple of Follett's other books - Jackdaws (2001) and Hornet Flight (2002) - and I remember those as being pretty good. I think he was always an ideas guy rather than a wordsmith (e.g. Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton - you don't read those guys for their artful dance with the English language), but I don't remember thinking that his writing was especially poor. Maybe he had a contract deadline coming up and just had to bang one out. :shake:

Reading Christie's the ABC Murders. Perhaps got to 2/5 or a little before that. I do have a suspicion as to what is going on.
Spoiler :
During the second murder investigation, I entertained the idea that the person who takes responsibility for the murders, actually did not murder anyone. If so, they were in a position to know of possible murders to happen (maybe they were a private investigator, amateur or not, or perhaps with connections to the police or other) and when they did they'd send a letter with the striking premise that those were committed in alphabetical order; in reality, they just picked cases which fit, and they had the time to wait for the next letter to appear. Now if this is happening, it'd be quite unrealistic, but Poirot's final word in the second murder investigation - I had formed my theory prior to reading that phrase - would easily be a foreshadowing of such.

Still, it might not be it. We shall see :)

Edit: read it all now. At least I was right about the first part. And I do prefer my own version to Christie's so very pedestrian (romantic) convolution ^^

Last edited:
I have been in paternity leave, I was supposed to have more free time to internet and some stuff, but I didn't have this time.

Here is my uptate since 2024 started

Ended Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. Did not enjoy it. First part was interesting, then the book is able to bore cows

Started and ended Euskalia by Mikel Alvarez Sarriegi. Sci-Fi book in which the basques rule the galaxy. We obtain a cultural victory, everyone in the galaxy speaks basque and lives in a kind of perfect social egalitarian basque democracy, however there is a group of Spaniards that feel that their culture is on risk and struggles for their rights. Interesting twist narrated in fresh way. 4/5, not 5/5 opens some really interesting cans of worms that are not completely developed

Started M: Son of the Century by Antonio Scurati. Dense. Reading while having a long free time and clear mind. I think I won't end it for 2025

Started The poppy war by R.F. Kuang. Enjoying a lot. It is seting my mind free from the stress of paternity and fostering

Yesterday I finished reading a paperback copy of

Mockingbird

by

the Californian

Walter Tevis

copyright 1980

which I bought from a local second hand bookshop.

It is a brilliant novel about humanity in a dystyopian future where a drug induced
dumbed down propagandised human population is ruled by android robots.

The human race is saved, from extinction (due to a most absurd reason).

Last edited:
I'm almost through Never (2021) by Ken Follett. It's a halfway-compelling geopolitical thriller, but boy, the writing swings from just passable to downright terrible. Early in the book I was thinking, "was this written by a chatbot or something?" I've read a couple of Follett's other books - Jackdaws (2001) and Hornet Flight (2002) - and I remember those as being pretty good. I think he was always an ideas guy rather than a wordsmith (e.g. Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton - you don't read those guys for their artful dance with the English language), but I don't remember thinking that his writing was especially poor. Maybe he had a contract deadline coming up and just had to bang one out. :shake:
I powered through to the end. It actually did get a bit better, but that's a low bar. Bleh. Not recommended.

---

Then I started Green Mars (1993) by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's been like 25 years since I read Red Mars. I remember liking that one, but that's about all I remember. Hopefully I won't need to remember the events of the first book, to read this one.

EDIT: No, wait, I remember the scene where the space elevator is destroyed and the enormous cable collapses to the surface, wrapping around the planet as it falls. That was cool.

Started The poppy war by R.F. Kuang. Enjoying a lot. It is seting my mind free from the stress of paternity and fostering
I enjoyed that book!

Finishing up The Jinn-bot of Shantiport by Samit Basu. Far future sci fi with an interesting plot and twisty turns. I'm enjoying the characters a lot.

Spoiler :
EDIT: No, wait, I remember the scene where the space elevator is destroyed and the enormous cable collapses to the surface, wrapping around the planet as it falls. That was cool.
Spoiler :
What year was this book published? This kind of situation is like what happened in Ben Bova's novel Mercury, though that one veered off into an homage to The Count of Monte Cristo, as the engineer who designed the space elevator was falsely accused and convicted of negligence and sentenced to permanent exile from Earth; he comes back ready for vengeance against his accuser and the real culprits.

Then I started Green Mars (1993) by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's been like 25 years since I read Red Mars. I remember liking that one, but that's about all I remember. Hopefully I won't need to remember the events of the first book, to read this one.

It turns out there are some characters from Red Mars that I'm supposed to remember. Oh well. I probably should've re-read the first book before starting the 2nd, but I don't think it's a big deal. When I was a kid, I think I read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe first, not realizing it was a sequel, and I don't think I even noticed until someone told me. :lol:

I do love a good space elevator. I think I would ride one, irl, just to ride one. Does that make me a space elevator fetishist? Robinson describes the 'elevator car' as being, essentially, a thin, 9-story hotel. And the trip takes days, not hours. That was always how I envisioned it, but I never thought about the fact that, at least on the way down, you'd be in zero-G for more than half the trip. I dunno about on the way up. I'm not sure it'd be practical for a space elevator car to apply constant 1-G acceleration to achieve a kind of artificial gravity. I feel like the trip would be too short for that. I also like the way it's built: Plant robots on huge asteroid; wait 10 years. Back in the day, I had a Traveler campaign that featured a space station the size of Manhattan. I mean, why not? If you don't have to lift the materials off the surface of a planet, you could build almost whatever you want in space, and all it would take is time and energy.

Spoiler :
What year was this book published? This kind of situation is like what happened in Ben Bova's novel Mercury, though that one veered off into an homage to The Count of Monte Cristo, as the engineer who designed the space elevator was falsely accused and convicted of negligence and sentenced to permanent exile from Earth; he comes back ready for vengeance against his accuser and the real culprits.
Red Mars was '92.

Top Bottom