1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What classes are you taking? (Fall 2015)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by _random_, Jul 2, 2015.

1. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

See, I would have suspected as much, but I swung by the professor's office and it all seemed legit. So I'm cautiously optimistic about that one.

I know a few other people double majoring in natural sciences and humanities. So it's not super crazy really, so long as you're not pre-med. Labs do take up a lot of time, but you can work around it. And environmental science is a broader and less technical degree than most engineering degrees, I would think. So I could probably get a Master's in environmental engineering after this, but I'm not really being trained for a specific job right now.

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I had some friends who were Chem majors. They were called the "Circle of Sadness" because every night they would be in the dorm basement doing homework.

Processing refund claims for a mortgage company. The company handles foreclosure proceedings for loans guaranteed by Fannie Mae, so most of the foreclosure costs (inspections, property upkeep, legal costs, etc) will be refunded by Fannie Mae.
    In short, I help companies save money when foreclosing houses.
    It's a scum industry, but I get paid $12/hr to sit in a pretty nice office space with free coffee 10 minutes from where I live.

I've found that the more unique the course topic, the better it is as the course is only being offered because the prof wants to teach it.
    I had two excellent theology courses, 'Vatican II' and 'Christianity and Nazism'.

3. madviking

madviking north american scum

i probably could've done a double major (chem eng and philo) if i had more desire to do philo. the key is doing ap classes (college level courses in high school) so you have more time in college to dick around.

4. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Well a humanities mix is not unheard of now that I think about it, but most people drop one after the first year. The mandatory labs, more or less mandatory classes, homework and keeping up with assigned reading is pretty much all of your day.

5. madviking

well good thing i did only two of those four things.

6. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Our system is kind of boned, they can and will grade everything and a single point of failure is enough to disqualify you from passing even if you know the materials well enough to pass.

7. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

It doesn't work like that where you are? In the US one can pretty much take any course they choose as long as they have the means to pay for it. Hell, some people just take courses without any particular degree plan just to learn new things. Of course that's much more common at community colleges rather than traditional universities.

8. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I'm teaching a few over the next few months...I'll be guest lecturing on the basics of digital journalism at one US university, and may pick up at least one more spot if I time before football season starts. I'm also teaching seminars on Foundations of Opinion Column Writing and Ethics and Blogging to our internship class later this summer.

Might take some piano lessons too. That would be fun.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Cisco exploration I 09:30am 12:15 PM 3.00
    itnw-2305 network admin w 01:00pm 03:45pm 3.00
    itsc-1325 per comp hardware w 09:30am 12:15pm 3.00
    itsw-1307 intro to database r 09:30am 12:15pm as 139c 3.00

10. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Not really. Each faculty offers only a few choices with further subspecialization two or four years down the line.

11. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

strength of materials
    materials science
    physics E&M
    a Native American anthropology elective class
    a pointless writing class

12. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

In other class-related news I'm 2/3 through the 6-week grammar portion of my latin class. Christ summer sessions move fast. We're already cutting our teeth on lengthy Caesar, Tacitus, and Cicero passages.

btw [FORNICATE] Ovid

13. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

none because I'm old now

14. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

I kind of want to do that but I'm worried I'm too old.

15. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

Now wouldn't he like that? :p

16. madviking

that's more catullus' deal

17. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

I know a guy whose first out of college job was worse. He worked for a law firm that contracted with insurance companies. He told me about one woman who got a small settlement in a class action suit because an antidepressant gave her baby birth defects. But by participating in the class action, she inadvertently let the insurance company avoid paying for her child's medical care, even though the settlement wasn't nearly sufficient to cover the costs. So it was his job to call her lawyer and demand all the money back. And also the woman now had terminal cancer.

He was a pretty depressing dude by default, but man that line of work did him no favors.
    Those do both sound really interesting. One RS major I had a couple classes with who just graduated did his senior seminar about Adolph Hitler's use of Christianity. It was interesting, if pretty terrible, stuff, from what I heard.

There was one class last semester called "The Bawdy Bible," and I kind of regret not taking it. I hear the professor is awesome, and I imagine it'd be pretty fun.
    Ooh, that sounds fun. You'll have to let us know how that goes.

18. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

Applied Physics: Japan 1945

19. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

Pssssh, the most challenging and time consuming class is going to be your Java class.

20. mech654

mech654 Prince

I said busy and not challenging.