1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we know about Laroth?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by KillerClowns, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Probably because they are wrecked creatures, a laugh in the face of god they revere Created by twisted magic that he hasn't endorse.

2. Kael

Kael Chieftain

I wanted to move this conversation over into the lore forum for future reference. I checked and Nemora is the correct name of the island.

3. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Strange. It only causes more questions.

Is Laroth dead or not?

And what is the Heartstone?

4. Opera

Opera Chieftain

Laroth is dead but his mind in the Netherworld is strong enough to bend the Netherworld reality to make him think he deserves to be a god. In the Netherworld's region his controlling, he has power over the mind of the other souls, so he tries to lead them here and to add them to his army in order to overthrow Arawn. The Netherblade was specifically made to directly send the people it kills to this region, hence why Auric and Ethne are meeting Laroth.

Don't know about Heartstone.

5. Rasta69

Rasta69 Chieftain

Regarding Barbatos what is knowna bout him other that he spent a rather long time within a sepulcher, and is presumably going about doing his undead business now?

6. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

He was Kylorin's Student of Death.

7. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

We don't know a whole lot about Barbatos, just that he was trained by Kylorin to be a master of Death Magic, that he headed up the school of necromancy, that he turned himself into a Lich, and that when Kylorin rebelled against the corrupt Patria he had created that he fought Barbatos and locked him in his Sepulcher. (I suppose Kylorin had a hard time trying to bring himself to kill him as he had Gastrius, and just locked him up like he did Perpentach. Of course, it could also be that Kylorin killed Barbatos several times, but his student made too many Phylacteries for him to track down so he decided locking him up would be best way to keep him out of the picture.)

From when he was a unit in the game, it seems that he was pretty good at Earth magic as well as Death. That could possibly indicate that he was a close friend and ally of Jenkin, Kylorin's disciple of Earth. Of course, we know far less about Jenkin than about Barbatos, so that doesn't tell us much.

8. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

"Jenkin" sounds almost like a "Damn, can't think of something good-name him like a butler".;)

9. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Thats pretty funny. Mikel, Trenton and Jenkin were all player characters so I didn't pick their names.

10. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

I can't help but be reminded of Jenkem

11. hbar

hbar Constant

I can't help think of the Great Wizard Jenkins (from the Miyazaki film Howl's Moving Castle).

On a side note, how did Os-Gabella become a student of Kylorin? Didn't she give him the power of magic in the first place, and (since she's existed since nearly the beginning of time) what could she possibly learn from a mortal?

EDIT - Monkeyfinger, that link is just ... wrong. There's now a part of my brain that I'll never get back.

12. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

No, Ceridwen gave him the power of magic.

Did Kylorin know who Os-Gabella was, or did she just pretend to be someone ordinary when she was taught by him?

13. Kyzarc Fotjage

Kyzarc Fotjage Rise Up

She didn't exist since nearly the beginning, she came about at the beginning of the age of dragons. There was still the age of angels before that which lasted an immense, undefined time. There was almost all of creation before she came around.

14. MagisterCultuum

Although the conflict that led to the Age of Dragons was sparked by her, I don't think that that age properly started until at least after The One sundered Creation from Heaven (and the actual dragons didn't show up until a lot later). Gabella's creation was at the end of the Age fo Angels, not the start of the Age of Dragons.

Os-Gabella was protected by Ceridwen for ages before Kylorin was born, and she had access to her teachings in the Bair of Lacuna. I tend to think that Kylorin was from many generations after the sixth, and that at least a little knowledge of magic was available in the Bair library back in the age of dragons, and that Os-Gabella and Alexis began studying it then.

It could however be worth noting that the Bair of Lacuna is probably not o the same plane as Erebus, so magic would not have bee introduced to Erebus yet. Kylorin was also the first mortal Ceridwen taught (although Alexis may have taught her self a few magic rituals first).

I tend to think that Os-Gabella and Kylorin were more like each other's peers than teacher and student. Kylorin may have even been brought to the Bair for his instruction, and Os-Gabella ordered to help teach him at first. I imagine Os-Gabella never really liked her new rival, especially when Ceridwen began sharing more with him than she had with her and when he eventually surpassed him.

15. Xin

Xin Chieftain

Are we sure it's the same Os-Gabella, she could be some other women with the same name.

16. overlordoftime

overlordoftime Chieftain

Wait I thought you and kael stated that lichs in ffh don't use Phylacteries.

edit: opps I didn't see my mistake there

17. MagisterCultuum

I don't remember that leafy green vegetable stating anything.

I know that Kael stated that Abashi is not (as some have claimed) Tabryn Arbandi's phylactery, and that Tabryn is not a rich but a rune caster who placed a resurrection rune on he head to bring him back whenever he dies, but I don't recall whether he stated actual liches use phylacteries or not.

18. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

:confused:
    I've got a snarky comment regarding a very particular type of leafy green vegetable and that sentence, but I'll spare you.
    Oh. Now I get it.

So, from what I gather, Abashi operates somewhat like a phylactery, but isn't technically one. If she were his phylactery, killing her would kill Arbandi as well. But as the carrier of his resurrection rune, slaying her would only prevent Arbandi's resurrection, unless he put a rune of resurrection on something else. (I imagine those things aren't sold in corner stalls, though.) You'd still have to kill him, and that's easier said then done, but it'd finally be possible to finish the job.

19. MagisterCultuum

Where did my verb (well, participle) go?

Basically, I guess. Also, the rune in no way carries any part of his soul. I assume his soul is fully in his own body, although it belongs to Ceridwen so I suppose she could be storing it elsewhere while allowing his body and mind to act in Creation.

20. Duruk

Duruk Chieftain

Going back to scenarios being canon, is it only cannon when the player wins?

For example, the answer to "Who controls Labruscum after the scenario takes place?" could be any of the leaders you can play as. But can it also be Sheelba?