What is a good BPT rate in ____

I use binary research rate, so I guess an average of 100BPT at 1AD is ideal even with early war. But I'm not on Immortal :D

I very rarely break even at 100 beakers at 1 AD, although I can get up to 200 at 100% at a defecit since I get so much money from AI's in different ways.
Similarly, I can have 175+ BPT @ 1AD with 100% science from binary research. Does anyone else use binary research? I find that in a cottage (commerce) heavy economy, this is more efficient since it makes the most use of each multiplier building.

If I'm not isolated at 1AD, then I also generally run 100% research from selling techs etc. to the AI. I normally don't start building markets until pretty late in the game since I fund so much of my research from AI gold.

Pure bpt is irrelevant unless you are aiming for the starts , and even there it normally is only half of the story at best.

Besides that, what matters is what techs you have comparing with your foes. And even that may be irrelevant if you have the triple of the cities they have.

BPT is somewhat irrelevant. It's going to vary a lot on the map and game, as others have said. There's many ways to keep up in research.

Similarly, I can have 175+ BPT @ 1AD with 100% science from binary research. Does anyone else use binary research? I find that in a cottage (commerce) heavy economy, this is more efficient since it makes the most use of each multiplier building.

I use binary research, but that's mainly because it allows me to increase the chances of AI's getting the tech, thus letting me research at a slight discount. And every beaker helps on deity. Also, going at 0% can also be a wise decision if there's a chance you will need to upgrade troops.

Immortal liberalism times can vary. I read a game TMIT posted that had Pacal II discovering Liberalism in 600 AD on emperor so immortal could be faster. Then again, Shaka delayed Liberalism until 1500 AD on deity in my gandhi game (and he teched Fusion before Lib so he wasn't backward at all). Depends.
Fusion before 1500 by an AI?

:eek:

So how do you guys get such high beaker rates? Just more cities(I usually have 12-13 max, I don't really do good at military wins)? Seriously, I probably only have like 300-350 when I'm teching Liberalism, and then it jumps a bit over the 500 mark when I finally get Universities and Observatories in all of my cities, and then gradually increases till the end(usually around 800-950). Tips?

Lots of free speech cottages and lots of lucrative trade routes. Having more land helps a lot, although you can push almost 1k in beakers with a single late game super capital too.

The vanilla/warlords AI was even worse with tech dates - you'd occasionally see BC liberalism and SS launches around 1500-1600 AD regularly.

So how do you guys get such high beaker rates? Just more cities(I usually have 12-13 max, I don't really do good at military wins)? Seriously, I probably only have like 300-350 when I'm teching Liberalism, and then it jumps a bit over the 500 mark when I finally get Universities and Observatories in all of my cities, and then gradually increases till the end(usually around 800-950). Tips?

In general the moment you get education you should whip/build universities asap.

Either build Oxford in your capital. With oxford/university/bureaucracy you can get about 300-400 beakers in your capital alone pre 1000 AD.

If you got f.e. 12-13 cities, you should want to run free speech because you have good amount of commerce cities.
Getting universities asap is key :)

One of the ways I do it is by capturing AI cities that come loaded with towns, academies, etc. :goodjob:

OK, so what I'm getting here is that pure BPT doesn't matter and is only half the story. Bulbs and trading are also a VERY big factor. Thanks guys! Also, I usually get Liberalism around 1000AD on Prince, but its risky.
Here's my strategy ( mostly, it depends on map though)
Early on, doesn't matter. Get the basic techs out and its fine. I usually go Aes cause its great trade bait. Then try to win Music race.
Avoid machinery, bulb Philo and Edu and maybe if you have a extra GS Lib since Machinery is not taken. Then use that GA for a Golden Age and get Lib through that. Then take Natl, start Taj, and research Gunpowder and MT. Viola! You now have Cuir while the rest of the world still is stuck with LBs.
Sorry if I'm a little Off topic but I'm guessing Lib also is a very good indicator of how well you're doing right?

Is there any advantage to starving scientists with caste? I've never used it before.

I mean when is the advantage over more beakers short term outweigh the cost of starving citizens.

The advantage is greater in the early game when bulbs are worth relatively more, your cities are smaller (re-growth is faster), and you're bulbing towards a tech that you can abuse on the AI.

I starve a city or two for scientists during a golden age (+100% GPP for golden age). Switch to pacifism at the start of the golden age (another +100% GPP) -> max out scientists in a couple places -> switch back to normal civics on last turn of golden age.

Usually hope for the city to have a good surplus in the granary, to delay losing pop till the end of the GA if at all. A little planning ahead or using the stop growth button will help here. If you have the national epic you might need to check around a little to see if running great person anywhere else will get you a great person.

Usually the later you win the liberalism, the more advance you are.

BPT, especially beaker even BPT makes no sense, most of the time you can run at 100% science slider. Map makes the most impact on your BPT. 900 BPT in 1000AD is usually a dream.

Top Bottom